“Great Wolf Nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Dallas, Texas
“Great Wolf Nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

My wife and I have two children and we thought it would be a good idea to stay a night at a local hotel to get out of the house and have some activities for our children. We stayed one night at Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine on Saturday March 15th. The entire experience was a nightmare beginning the very minute we drove up to check in the hotel. The check in time for this hotel is 4:00pm (what kind of hotel doesn't allow guest to check into their room until 4:00pm?). At any rate, we knew this time per the website but thought we could get there a little early around 1:30pm and use the water park services as advertised. When we pulled up to the hotel, we waited outside our car for 20 minutes until someone actually came up to the car to valet the car. The valet/bellman did not offer to take our bags. When they gave me a ticket to take the car I asked the valet if we could get help with our bags and he simply said to take our bags to the bellman desk and we could check them in their. The only problem is the bellman desk is "inside" the hotel and we have two children and a bag for everyone. Picture carrying two children and five bags through two heavy doors (and nobody to hold the doors for you). Nightmare #1. Grade for Valet/Bellman services a solid "F". We should have turned around and went home at that very moment. We finally checked our bags at the bellman desk and then saw the line to check in the hotel was 50 people deep so we thought it a better idea to grab lunch on their 4th floor. I asked for some coffee at lunch which they did not serve since the waitress said their "coffee machine" was broken so I had to go downstairs to buy an expensive starbucks. Now after lunch we thought it a good idea to attempt to check into the hotel hoping the line would be better by now but the line was still incredibly long. So I stood in line for a half hour while my wife played zone defense with our two children making sure they stayed in sight. They checked us in without assigning a room number and said the hotel would call when the room was ready around 4:00pm . By this time it was about 3:00pm so we had an hour before the room was to be ready. The hotel was so crowded we could not find a place to sit for a half hour. I gave the bellman my ticket to try to retrieve our bags so I could get my sons swimming truncks to go swimming and waited about 20 minutes. I finally gave up waiting and told them to forget about getting our bags for the time being (service was horrible). The people who work there have zero direction or awareness for what's going on around them. We decided to wait it out until the room was ready. Sure enough the hotel called us to give us a room number and we attempted to go to our hotel room on the 7th floor. Now we had to wait for the elevator which took about 15 minutes to get an elevator given the crowds. Now we had booked a "Whirlpool" jacuzzi suite which is a big room with a jacuzzi. My thought was that worst case my wife can I can relax in a nice room with a jacuzzi. We called the front desk and gave them our ticket number to bring up our bags from the bellman desk. We waited 20 minutes with no bags then called them again. 30 minutes from the first time I called finally the bags arrived (how the heck does it take 30 minutes to deliver our bags?). So we lost 45 minutes between waiting for the elevator and bags to be brought up to the room. We finally got changed and went to the indoor water park which was a mad house. I'm shocked you can let that many people in one place without violating fire safety or some kind of laws/zoning, it was jam packed. We had a hard time getting around it was so crowded and their were long lines for everything. After about an hour of dealing with the huge crowds we decided to go back to our hotel room and hop in the jacuzzi and call it quits. Only problem now was that we could not get the jacuzzi in our room to work. We filled up the tub and that was that. Talk about false advertising. At that point we just wanted to call it quits and order some room service. Well wouldn't you know, this hotel doesn't do room service other than pizza to go. So we packed up the kids and went downstairs to the cafeteria dealing with the insane wait for the elevator again. After dinner, we got to enjoy another 15 minute wait for an elevator back up to our room. We just couldn't do anything it was so crazy crowded. Later that evening my wife wanted a snack so I walked seven flights of stairs rather than deal with the elevator wait again. That evening it was so loud in our hallway our kids kept waking up every half hour or so and none of us got any sleep. The next morning, my wife and I looked at each other and at the same time said to each other lets get the heck out of here. Since the bellman service took forever I did not want to risk another 30 minute wait to have them come upstairs to get our bags (way too risky). We just wanted to get out of there to go to church. Around 9:00am, we took our bags with us and went downstairs to the cafeteria for buffet style breakfast. After breakfast I gave my valet ticket for the car valet to get our car. They said it would only take about 5 minutes. So my wife and I waited by the door (it was cold and windy outside and our kids were freezing waiting by the door). Sure enough, it took the valet 20 minutes to get our car. Again, they let my wife and I and every other customer trying to get in and out of the hotel fend for ourselves and open our own doors carrying bags in one hand and kids in the other. To make matters worse, we paid over $650 for this one day of misery. We were so happy to finally get out of there. Overpriced, terrible customer service and false advertising are a few comments that come to mind when we reflect on our Great Wolf lodge nightmare experience. This is the first time I've ever written a review for a hotel and we are the last people to complain or be harsh. Our experience there was truly awful.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine! I am sorry the lodge was crowded during your visit. Spring break in Texas is a very busy time for us. We want to make every guest feel welcome and our team regrets missing the mark with your family.

We appreciate your feedback as we will use it to make our operation better.

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf.

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Lake Jackson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We have 5 year old and 3 year old boys and really enjoyed our time at Great Wolf Lodge. The resort is perfectly themed for kids and families. We stayed in the base room with two double beds. It was a standard hotel room, but was clean and had an additional couch and sitting area. The whole resort was clean and kept up well. The water park had a nice mix of activities for both younger and older kids, and there were lots of attractions packed into the indoor space. The water park temperature could have been a couple degrees warmer. On Thursday and Friday, the water park was not very crowded and the kids could easily do all of the slides without much waiting. On Saturday, it became pretty crowded so we took a break from the water in the afternoon. Another big attraction was the MagiQuest. There are strange objects in the hallways all throughout the resort and the kids loved waving their magic wand at the objects to hear them talk and light up. Going on the quests was what we enjoyed when taking a break from the water. The kids also liked playing some of the games in the arcade and coloring a T-shirt in the kids club. Story time at night was fun, but the audio from the animated characters was poor so it was hard to follow the story. The food at the resort was decent and was a little overpriced, but not as expensive as what I was expecting based on visits to other resorts / water parks. The kids had a wonderful time and we would definitely come to Great Wolf Lodge again especially during the winter months.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Spent one night here with our 5 yr old over spring break. There is plenty for kids to do. Make sure you buy the paw pass if it's your first time. Worth it to get the stuffed bear experience, magi quest wand, glitter tattoo, arcade credits, ice cream, souvenir craft, etc. The savings versus buying it all individually is significant. My daughter loved having her arm band as a room key, at her age it's super fun to open the door with "magic." I loved having the room charging option on the arm band. We locked up our wallets and roamed around hands free. But, there was not sufficient amount of even remotely healthy food options here. They cater to kids and their poor diet choices are encouraged. Don't know who could stand pizza and ice cream too many days in a row. We left to stock up on water, snacks and even dinner before settling in for the evening. The refrigerator and microwave were nice to have in the room. We used the fridge but not the microwave. The room was fine, nothing special except that we paid dearly for it during spring break. It was clean enough and the sheets were fresh. The bathroom and tub were nice and clean. My daughter loved watching planes land from our window facing the airport. There were posted quiet hours and we all slept well, no complaints about noise during quiet hours. Our daughter had a blast with magi quest, which was a surprise. Most kids and parents seemed to enjoy it as much as we did. Starbucks was nice to have in house. Front desk staff nice and helpful. Their ice cream is not Blue Bell, which is a minor thing, but if you're going to sell tons of it for large profit, it should be the best. Highly recommend they change to Blue Bell. Overall it's a great place for kids. We left exhausted, drove home and took a nap. It is no place for R&R, it's busy fun. My daughter can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor (8 floors total) facing the airport. Kids love watching cars and p...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We came during spring break. We had a wonderful time! The rooms were nice very clean. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The kids loved the waterpark. Even us adults had a great time at the water park. The food in the restaurant was very good. Lots of choices. They have lots of activitys for kids. Expensive place to visit but worth it.

Stayed March 2014
Overton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

If you are looking for a place that is family oriented and full of smiles, Great Wolf Lodge is the place to release you from the daily hustle and bustle. This invigorating atmosphere caters to adults as well as allowing children to have a fun-filled day with activities. Adults have bars and a spa that is available. The children have a build-a-bear workshop, a creative art zone where the children color t-shirts, an interactive adventure game that exists throughout the hotel floors, and many more activities on top of the all inclusive indoor water park, which is the best I have ever visited. The only con is the jacked up rates during spring break.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was 6004 in which when looking out the patio door, you could see the entrance...
Gause, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My wife and I spent two nights at the Grapevine Great Wolf Lodge with three of our grandchildren during spring break 2014. First, they jacked up their rates significantly for spring break and I take a very dim view of that type of thing from any business, but I know many of them do it. I just don't think it is right to take advantage of people like that. But, oh well - I knew it going in.

The room was fine except we never got maid service after repeated calls to the front desk. The room was clean and comfortable with plenty of space for the five of us. The rooms are on 8 VERY LONG halls. YOu get your exercise just going and coming from your room. The lodge does not have much of a variety of eating venues, but we managed to survive. What they did have was over priced, but not totally out of the realm of reasonable prices for a place like that. They could have charged more and gotten away with it I am sure. Most people bring their own sandwiches/snacks/drinks etc if they are not willing to pay the high prices.

We ate in the Loose Moose restaurant one time and that was enough. It was a buffet that cost $20 per person and I think about $10 for kids. It was a good buffet, but not well managed. Many items were not restocked when we were there. The dessert bar and the salad bar were two areas that were very poorly run. The food was average and, of course, you could get all you wanted. Service by our waiter was excellent and timely.

In the water park there is a concession stand that is probably the worst I have ever seen. Service was very slow and there were long lines as it was the only one available. THey hire kids to run it and they had very little initiative. The condiments area was never properly full and, even after telling them, they still did not refill all the items. The prices were high and the quality was average to below average, but the quantity was adequate. It also had a decent selection.

The water park itself was excellent. Lots of places to get wet and have fun all enclosed in a giant room. They had lifeguards every few feet and they all seemed to take their jobs very seriously and it appeared to me they did a great job. The place was packed when we were there, but everything seemed to be fun and with the exception of a couple of tube rides, the lines were not long. For the tube rides you would have to wait 15-20 minutes after climbing 4 to 5 fairly long flights of stairs in order to have a 16 second tube ride! But, we did it numerous times! The place was clean the whole time and staff was close by if you needed something or had problems. They had plenty of clean dry towels and a lot of seating for those not in the water. They also had lockers at an extra charge.

The front desk staff was pleasant and efficient. Parking was plentiful, but about a third of it was behind the building which was somewhat inconvenient. We arrived at 4pm and the entire front lot was full. Some of it was blocked off for valet parking, which we did not use, but it appeared to be fairly efficient. The place was built in 2007 and is in very good condition and quite attractive. Given that it is the middle of the Dallas Ft Worth metroplex, access was quite easy.

Entry to the park was "free" as it was included in the room rate. The entire stay was fun and worth it for the kids. As adults (grandparents) it was ok. Certainly not a miserable experience like some parks can be. This one was enjoyable and, as I said, the kids (4, 10, 12) all had a wonderful time.

I recommend this place IF you are taking kids. It really is not a great place for teens and above and particularly not a good place for seniors unless you are very active and just happen to be in love with indoor water parks. I am glad we went.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

The check in time is 4pm however they allowed us to check in and get out room at 1pm. Even if the room wasn't available they will allow you to swim at 1. The rooms didn't seem clean or taken care of. Our bed skirt was ripped. There was a gash in the couch, and some kind of stain on the ceiling. We had the air conditioner set on 60f but it didn't seem to cool well. The room does have a fridge and microwave which is awesome. I will likely go back because my kids had a blast. However, I will not go during Spring Break again. The rate was much more than normal because of Spring Break and I refuse to pay $500 a night for a nasty room.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and for sharing your feedback on the state of your suite. Please know what you saw does not meet with the expectations we have set and is not customary for us.

If there are ever these kinds of concerns with your room, please reach out to Guest Services. We will be happy to work with you and resolve your concerns.

We look forward to your family returning to stay with us again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!