“Great Time at Great Wolf Lodge” 4 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Great Wolf Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Gause, TX
“Great Time at Great Wolf Lodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My wife and I spent two nights at the Grapevine Great Wolf Lodge with three of our grandchildren during spring break 2014. First, they jacked up their rates significantly for spring break and I take a very dim view of that type of thing from any business, but I know many of them do it. I just don't think it is right to take advantage of people like that. But, oh well - I knew it going in.

The room was fine except we never got maid service after repeated calls to the front desk. The room was clean and comfortable with plenty of space for the five of us. The rooms are on 8 VERY LONG halls. YOu get your exercise just going and coming from your room. The lodge does not have much of a variety of eating venues, but we managed to survive. What they did have was over priced, but not totally out of the realm of reasonable prices for a place like that. They could have charged more and gotten away with it I am sure. Most people bring their own sandwiches/snacks/drinks etc if they are not willing to pay the high prices.

We ate in the Loose Moose restaurant one time and that was enough. It was a buffet that cost $20 per person and I think about $10 for kids. It was a good buffet, but not well managed. Many items were not restocked when we were there. The dessert bar and the salad bar were two areas that were very poorly run. The food was average and, of course, you could get all you wanted. Service by our waiter was excellent and timely.

In the water park there is a concession stand that is probably the worst I have ever seen. Service was very slow and there were long lines as it was the only one available. THey hire kids to run it and they had very little initiative. The condiments area was never properly full and, even after telling them, they still did not refill all the items. The prices were high and the quality was average to below average, but the quantity was adequate. It also had a decent selection.

The water park itself was excellent. Lots of places to get wet and have fun all enclosed in a giant room. They had lifeguards every few feet and they all seemed to take their jobs very seriously and it appeared to me they did a great job. The place was packed when we were there, but everything seemed to be fun and with the exception of a couple of tube rides, the lines were not long. For the tube rides you would have to wait 15-20 minutes after climbing 4 to 5 fairly long flights of stairs in order to have a 16 second tube ride! But, we did it numerous times! The place was clean the whole time and staff was close by if you needed something or had problems. They had plenty of clean dry towels and a lot of seating for those not in the water. They also had lockers at an extra charge.

The front desk staff was pleasant and efficient. Parking was plentiful, but about a third of it was behind the building which was somewhat inconvenient. We arrived at 4pm and the entire front lot was full. Some of it was blocked off for valet parking, which we did not use, but it appeared to be fairly efficient. The place was built in 2007 and is in very good condition and quite attractive. Given that it is the middle of the Dallas Ft Worth metroplex, access was quite easy.

Entry to the park was "free" as it was included in the room rate. The entire stay was fun and worth it for the kids. As adults (grandparents) it was ok. Certainly not a miserable experience like some parks can be. This one was enjoyable and, as I said, the kids (4, 10, 12) all had a wonderful time.

I recommend this place IF you are taking kids. It really is not a great place for teens and above and particularly not a good place for seniors unless you are very active and just happen to be in love with indoor water parks. I am glad we went.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

The check in time is 4pm however they allowed us to check in and get out room at 1pm. Even if the room wasn't available they will allow you to swim at 1. The rooms didn't seem clean or taken care of. Our bed skirt was ripped. There was a gash in the couch, and some kind of stain on the ceiling. We had the air conditioner set on 60f but it didn't seem to cool well. The room does have a fridge and microwave which is awesome. I will likely go back because my kids had a blast. However, I will not go during Spring Break again. The rate was much more than normal because of Spring Break and I refuse to pay $500 a night for a nasty room.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and for sharing your feedback on the state of your suite. Please know what you saw does not meet with the expectations we have set and is not customary for us.

If there are ever these kinds of concerns with your room, please reach out to Guest Services. We will be happy to work with you and resolve your concerns.

We look forward to your family returning to stay with us again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Newport Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We really did spend 12 nights at the Great Wolf Lodge in February. Before you think we need a better travel agent I should explain why. My family and I are relocating to Dallas this summer and in addition to spending a lot of time with realtors and builders searching for our next home, we also had to conduct school visits and interviews for our children. The private schools in Dallas have cut off dates for the completion of school interviews and we had to get these done before the end of February. While we were searching for a home and taking a child to school visits we needed to ensure our nanny had some way to entertain the children. We nailed it at the Great Wolf Lodge.

This is clearly the biggest and nicest lodge in the chain. There are over 600 rooms and an indoor water park the size of Cowboy (AT&T) stadium. The resort is spotless and and the staff is generally very helpful and friendly. There is valet parking which you will want to use on the weekends. Monday through Wednesday you have the place to yourself, but beginning on Thursday evening and then throughout the weekend it is packed. There is also bellhop service, although I am not sure if they are always staffed.

Our room/suite was very nice. We had one room with the "Kid Camp" which provided the kids with their own TV and bunk beds. Beds were very comfortable. Bathrooms are very small. The decor of the rooms are fairly simple, but overall it served its purpose.

The food is surprisingly good, although we normally did not eat at the resort. The pizza is good from the pizza shop, but do not try to order delivery as they never answer the phone.

I do recommend buying the bundled resort package for the kids. It is $140 and provides a lot of amenities such as a stuffed animal (think Build a Bear), snacks, tatoos, etc and the best part is a magical wand (think Harry Potter) that you can use for a scavenger hunt throughout the hotel.

The property is only 10 minutes from DFW. It is very near Grapevine which offers every major restaurant chain and then some for dining options.

The Great Wolf Lodge is for families and most importantly children. It is not the Four Seasons, but that seems obvious. We were ready to leave after 12 nights, but frankly I am ready to leave a resort in Hawaii after 12 nights. This is a perfect getaway for the weekend. The best description of the resort is to think of Disney's Wilderness Lodge with an enormous indoor water park.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I just spent a couple of days at Great Wolf Lodge with our 6 and 9 year old daughters. My kids loved it! We bought the Paw Pass, which allowed the girls to enjoy a lot of the fun things the resort offers besides the waterpark. Their favorite was the MagiQuest game. It was nice to have other fun things to do when we needed a break from the water. The pizza was good, and we also enjoyed our dinner at The Lodge Grill. Unlike other reviewers, we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The only reason I wouldn't give it 5 stars was because the beds weren't comfortable, our room was too warm, and our showers weren't warm enough! But the fun made up for all of that. It was our first visit, but it won't be our last.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

The day we left for Great Wolf my husband had found some negative reviews online and I began thinking to myself what did I get us into. However, the reviews were completely wrong! I found the hotel to be very reasonably priced. In fact, our main point of the trip was to go to LegoLand so I actually looked up other hotels and found that Great Wolf had the best price overall! Once there, in my opinion, nothing was overpriced. The food was very affordable. The swim shop was very affordable. The games were very affordable! The food was all good, not great but exactly what you would and should expect! The staff was very friendly and the activities were more than we could do in a three day stay! We will definitely go back and will also recommend it to anyone looking for a great family vacation.

Room Tip: Book the cheapest room and then at online checkout choose to upgrade if it becomes available. You...
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

My family visited GWL on Sunday, March 2 for 2 nights. My children are young, ages 1, 2, and 4 so my husband and I knew we couldn't participate in everything, however the swim park was the biggest draw for a quick, road trip vacation. After eating the buffet and spending a few hours in the water park, my 1 and 2 year old started having explosive diarrhea and my 4 year old started vomiting. We had made plans with local friends (reason for the trip), but had to cancel because of the sick kids.

Upon check out I talked to the agent and my concerns were mostly dismissed. I was told that "children don't normally get sick at their facility." But now that I'm reading more complaints online, illness is common.

I don't know if it was the food or the water park, but since returning home, My 1 year old developed a full body rash which prompted a doctors visit. The doctor said the rash was viral. My 2 year old has started projectile vomiting and will go to the doctor today. Thankfully, my 4 year old is in stable condition for now.

Overall, my children enjoyed the water park and bunk beds, but it was not worth it .

• Stayed March 2014
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for choosing Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine! I sincerely apologize for your children falling ill while staying with us. This is a primary reason why we maintain such high standards of cleanliness throughout the lodge.

I hope your children feel better soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Great Wolf Lodge caters to families. It is pricey from the hotel stay, to the food, to the activities outside of the waterpark area, but I had a wonderful time there with my son overall. I will go back again.

I just had two small issues.

One is none of the restaurants provide room service. This was a bit of a bummer since I'm a single parent with a toddler so having to hold onto my toddler while balancing a pizza box while dodging other children running around was a bit hard. However, I managed. It would be nice if they had some type of room service.

Second issue, is the hotel is not accommodating at all if you decide to extend your stay. The night I stayed there, Dallas had an ice storm & the parking lot was a complete sheet of ice so I thought why not stay another night have fun & stay safe. I called down to the front desk and they raised my rate by $150 dollars. Wow, I was a bit shocked especially since it was for a Monday night. I guess they are so busy they don't really care if you want to stay an extra night even if the room isn't reserved. Go figure?!?!?!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!