“Fun and relaxing weekend” 4 of 5 stars

You added Great Wolf Lodge to your Saves list
Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Great Wolf Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Ranked #16 of 18 hotels in Grapevine
“Fun and relaxing weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

This trip was a gift to my fiancé for valentines and I was hoping it would not disappoint. To our delight we had a GREAT time! Check in was painless. We got there a little early so we decided to grab lunch on the property. We ate at the Loose Moose Cottage - this was the only disappointment in our trip. Very over priced for the quality of food we were given. My nachos were hard and weren't even hot. My beef was burnt as well and if your going to charge $2 extra for guacamole you should give me more than a tablespoon full. Once we were finished eating we walked down to the park. I was worried about being cold but the temp was perfect! All the rides are thrilling! Honestly, the Howling Tornado is better than the Master Blaster at Schiltterbahn. Yes there are tons of kids running around and we went on a Monday. But all the children were mostly well behaved and didn't bother us at all. We stayed in the whirlpool suite and that was a nice way to end the evening. We went off property to buy drinks and snacks. We did decide to give dining on property another try but went with a different place. We ate at the Wood Fire Grill - the food was still disappointing for the price but much better than the first place! Long story short - dine off property and go to the park later in the evening to avoid the lines. I came to this place thinking this would be a one time thing and wouldn't be back until we had children of our own. But just for the rides alone, I think we will be coming back very soon.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

991 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Pasadena, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Took our family and grand children for a visit 2/12-2/14. Check in was chaotic with long lines and slow action. Got a family suite and a grizzly suite (two bedroom). The rooms were nice but not what I expected for the price. I expected something a little nicer. I've stayed in Holiday Inn Express with nicer rooms. Only had a 4 cup coffee maker with enough coffee for 1 pot. . We had an ongoing problem with a terrible noise that always quit when the maintenance men showed up. It rattled the walls and there was an accompanying noise like rain on a tin roof. Most of the time it was just annoying as it happened during waking hours but the last morning we were awakened at 6:30 AM and it lasted until about 45 minutes. Maintenance crew arrived again way too late though they did get to hear the rain sound. The check out was even more chaotic and they had charged us for snacks that we didn't use . There are no snacks in the room only bottled water at $2.50a pop. We had our own. We complained once again about the noise and they admitted they had a problem with severe water hammer and they took our late checkout fee ($50) off the bill. The water park was nice especially for the kids, so no complaints there. I think we'll try the Gaylord across the street next time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine! I am happy to hear that the children had a great time in the waterpark. However, I am sorry to hear that you had such difficulty with one your rooms. It does sound like our Maintenance staff was able to respond in a timely manner each time that noise concern was reported. If something like this happens and a quick fix cannot be made, our Guest Services team would do their best to try and work with you on a solution.

If you ever find that items in the room are lacking in quantity, please reach out to our team at the Front Desk and they will be happy to accommodate you with whatever items you may need.

I hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

If you like Chuck E Cheese, then you will like the Great Wolf Lodge. Kids loved it, water park is fun (if a bit too cold...) and staff is friendly. Food is overpriced and mediocre, rooms provide an adequate place to sleep and were clean. If you arrive on a busy day, expect to wait 20-30 mins at check-in. This is not Vegas or Orlando, or even across the street at the Gaylord -- where have have stayed before and will stay again next time. Equal or lower cost and much better experience.

Recommend the Hyatt resorts in Austin/San Antonio if you live in Central TX - both are great.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine! I am glad that your children enjoyed the waterpark and you had positive experiences with our Pack members. We appreciate your feedback on our dining facilities. We are always looking for ways to improve.

With price being a major concern, you will be happy to hear that you will receive exclusive repeat guest discounts directly to your inbox that you can use on future stays.

I hope you will give Great Wolf Lodge another shot.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We just stayed for the first time at the GWL and even though the kids had fun so they said it was not enjoyable for me the parent. Upon checkin the madness started with a 20 minute wait to check in. The lobby was packed with people waiting for their rooms to be ready. We were able to use the water park while we waited so did that. The water was freezing cols and the place was super crowded. I was scared for my kids safety with so many people. All the areas were so crowded you barely had a place to stand or play. We stayed in a kidcamp room which was ok. The kids loved the bunkbeds and the queen bed was too small for us. A place like this should have king beds as they had more than enough room. I tried to sleep on the sofa sleeper which was horrible. The food at the lodge was bad. The first night we ate upstairs and I had a grilled chicken salad. The few pieces of chicken were microwaved shoe leather and I had to send it back. They brought me more chicken and I was told they bake the chiken. It was bland and unseasoned. Not grilled. The other entertainment in the lodge was expensive and we paid the extra for the paw pass. It was a slight savings but not worth what we paid for what we got out of it. The storytime the kids liked but was the same the next night and was boring. Upon checkout wasn't even asked how my stay was. Just you owe xx amount. Bye. Idont think we will be back. There are better and less expensive and crazy places to go than GWL.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine! We highly value the opinions of our guests and thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. It is a standard of Great Wolf Lodge that our waterpark is kept at a constant 84 degrees year round; however, temperature fluctuations can happen. We monitor this regularly throughout each day to ensure we maintain this standard.

I will share your feedback about the sleeping arrangements in the Kid Kamp Suite to see if this is an option we can pursue.

I sincerely apologize that your experience at Lodge Wood Fired Grill was unsatisfactory. We welcome any and all feedback about this because we are always looking for areas of opportunity that can enhance the guest experience.

I hope you will reconsider and give Great Wolf Lodge a second chance.

Zurich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We lived down the street from this place for several years and were always hesitant to take our kids here because it's known by the locals as cold and over priced. They were right!

From the moment we arrived, everything was a little off. No one was out front to help with 2 kids and lots of luggage. Staff at check in lacked even a small smile.

We got the kids suite with a little alcove/hide out for the kids which contained 3 bunk beds. The room was ok, and for being a kid friendly hotel, it lacked needed little amenities like stools for kids to reach the sink.

Our hot water didn't work in the room. When we told the front desk about it, they sent maintenance while we were out swimming, and we returned to an unfixed shower that was running and flooding the floor. The staff is unfriendly and all seemed they didn't want to be there. We had to re-request our shower be fixed, as there was no initial follow up on the hotel's behalf.

While the swimming area is huge, nice, great for kids and there is lots to do, it's hard to enjoy it when they keep the internal temperature at 84. After 2 hours of swimming the first day, my kids begged to stop as they couldn't stop shivering. It was painful for me to even get in, and then once you are in, you don't want to get out because it's as if they pump the AC.

That evening, we went down to the arcade. It seems everything at this place is based on nickle and diming you, you pay for everything. How nice it would be to have a game room where kids could play without needing to put money in a machine. Beyond the water park, there really isn't a whole lot to do there.

The next morning I went for a coffee at their Starbucks. I was told by staff there that I had to wait until the girl who could make the lattes came in. When she arrived she over charged me. In addition they didn't have basic things like standard nuts and berries for the oatmeal, or the ability to heat up the pastries.

Finally I went to the front desk to complain about our experience. The manager who was in the back didn't want to talk to me, so she had her front desk "lead" take care of my concerns. I was able to request a late check out, and that was it.

Back at the water park, the life guards are all over strict and very grumpy. One area for smaller children was empty as it was the start of the day. My 10 year old was not allowed to enter the area to help my 4 year old down the slide as he exceeded the age requirement. There was blood on the walk way which was left unattended and uncleaned, and a piece of foam was floating in one of the pools. When I mentioned it should be removed as it looked just like poop, the life guard was less than eager to help get it out and didn't seem to care. In addition, hair was floating in the wave pool, and dirt/sand was all over the bottom the very moment it opened in the morning, indicating to me they don't even clean it at night.

Overall, customer service is lacking. Pool temperature really needs to be considered by management. And the feeling of being asked to pay for every little thing really needs to be reconsidered. Lastly, I would not go during a high peak time as I can't imagine how dirty it would get and crowded it would seem.

I would save your money and hit up an outdoor water park in summer and do without the hotel experience as it's nothing to spend that kind of money on.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine! I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Great Wolf Lodge. Please know that what you experience is not customary for us and deviates far from the norm. We pride ourselves on creating unique family traditions, along with safe family-friendly fun.

I will share your feedback with the property so it can be reviewed internally. We are always looking for ways to improve the guest experience, and any feedback (positive or negative) is necessary so we can be better for our future guests.

I hope you will give Great Wolf Lodge another chance.

Prosper, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I took my 6 year old here for his birthday. He had a blast and aside from being worn out tired from the exercise, it was great for me too. This was our second visit.

A couple of small things could've been fixed/improved:

Pizza place. After about 5:30, the extension for the pizza place just rings to a black hole. According to the front desk, it's because they're so busy and have only one phone. Is it so hard to put in a second phone and staff accordingly? This was a problem when we went there two years ago too.

Water park fixes - there were a few of the water squirters/cannons that needed to be fixed, and in the wave pool, noodles were in short supply, with kids hogging 6-7 of them at a time.

All in all, this place is great. The food in other restaurants there was great, and reasonably priced for a resort.

Room Tip: You really don't have to get one of the fancy 'cabin' rooms to have fun. We barely spen...
Blanchard, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

2 adults, 4 kids, and 1 21 year old were more than excited to go on this last minute trip to escape the cold. I called to book the room and was told I would get a $40 credit when I get there because my husband couldn't join us until the 2nd day. I never got credit. Great Wolf was nice and called we were running very late for check-in. They called us by 8 and we were still on the road driving in the snow and ice. I only had booked the room earlier that day at like 1. We arrived at 9 and front desk didn't want to offer $40 credit or any discount for my 1 year old for the water park as promised. We were excited Kid Cabin room was cute only problem was our heat didn't work. I called down to front desk at midnight to say we were freezing but I wasn't moving a 1,3 7, 15, and 21 year old in the middle of the night by myself. Went down the next morning and asked for either a credit for my room for the night before or an additional night for free. They refused and offered breakfast and with my pushing upgraded our room and sent a bell boy to help and gave me one $40 credit towards the room since hubby wasn't there first night. I still was disappointed but didn't want to ruin the trip so we had fun. Water park was cold but great. Most of the employees in the water park were great. I loved the swim shop employees too! The food was awful and overpriced we took our own food for lunch one day and was so glad because the food was that bad! The hotel could stand to offer something for the 12 and up crowd. The younger kids can play the magic quest game but it is pricey too at 34.99 a kid.Only 2 slides were open and the wave pool for the older kids so they were a bit disappointed. I still don't feel I should have had to pay for a room we froze our hineys off in but they weren't willing to make it right. The beds weren't that comfortable and when we requested additional pillows we were told there was a limit of 2 per room! I've never been to a hotel when there was a limit of additional pillows, especially at $300 a night and you have to sign for them. Yep! So minus the cold in the room and knowing we need to eat off site and the waterpark being cold we would return and just know better next time. FYI the suites are sparsely decorated and there is no tv in the living area.

Room Tip: If you have kids stay in the kid cabin the suites are barely decorated and no tv in living area. Tak...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine! I am very sorry to hear that you had such a trying experience with the room that you were in. We appreciate the feedback that we receive from our guests, good or bad because it is an opportunity to improve.

Children ages 2 & under are free to stay at Great Wolf Lodge, even though they count towards the room occupancy. We do this to keep an accurate tally of how many guests are staying with us each night, but children that young will not get to take advantage of the waterpark as much as a child who is 3 or older. Because of this, they can enter the waterpark without a wristband.

We try to make sure we offer something for guests of all ages, and that is why we offer Elements Spa & Salon. A full service salon and spa that offers teenage services and more!

I am glad that our Guest Services team was able to change the room you were in to make the rest of your stay more pleasant. They work tirelessly to ensure that every guest has the kind of experience that meets with Great Wolf expectations.

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!