“Such a wonderful place for kids!” 5 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Great Wolf Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Amarillo, Texas
“Such a wonderful place for kids!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My sister and I went with my daughter, son-in-law, and grandsons - it was amazing! Staff were all so wonderful - we never passed a staff member without them saying "hello". Our grandson had gotten a remote control helicopter, and we needed to open the remote to put in the batteries, which required a small screw driver. I called the front desk to see if we could borrow one, and they sent one of their engineers to our room with his tool kit! It was great!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I love staying there but especially their New Year's Count Down Party is the best. Whole hotel becomes a party place for family. The kids at any age have so much attractions to participate! Their buffet has a good selection. Indoor pool and arcade are big and fun too. Girls would enjoy the nail salon. My children's favorite was quest in the hotel. You can walk around whole hotel except some guest sleeping rooms - that keeps quiet around your sleeping room :-) - and find treasures!

Room Tip: They have several selections of rooms for children and family size. You can choose the regular room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Weekend probably wasn't the best time to come. Super busy. The pools were fun, room was nice, staff was very friendly. They need more elevators, we had to ride one up just to go down during peak times. We'll come back but only with a discount and weekday.

Stayed October 2013
McKinney, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I was very unhappy with my experience at GWL. Our room had a musty smell and the bathroom was not cleaned very well. I called down to the front desk to have someone either change our room or clean the bathroom. The hotel was sold -out so we could not change rooms and the request was never honored to have the room cleaned. The water park was ok but the water was cloudy. The room temperature of the water park was perfect, my only complaint was that when you leave the water park it is extremely cold when you enter the gift shop. That was not a good experience since the temps were in the high 50's outdoors. It would have been nice not to have the air on in the hotel. I was concerned about my son getting sick because of the drastic change in temperature. The food was HORRIBLE and way overpriced. We ordered a kids chicken tenders meal from the restaurant in the park and a small order of fries and the cost was @12.00 dollars. I was disappointed because we ate cold stale food. We also had to wait 40 min to eat dinner and the bar/grill and the food there was also terrible. The breakfast buffet was 14.00 per person and the food was cold and gross. The beds were very uncomfortable. I did not get a good nights rest. My son is 3 and he did like the arcade. I think he was to young to really enjoy the water park. The customer service was sub par. We spent 12 dollars on a sword for my son, he dropped it and it broke. I went to the location I purchased it from and the clerk told me I needed to wait 5 hours to exchange it. I then went to front desk to ask for a manager and they told me they could not help me because it was not their area. Finally Raven, the retail manager came and took great care of me. I will not go back and spend the amount of money I did. I can go to Chucky Cheese with my son and he will be just as happy.

norman,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We went to Great Wolf expecting it to be cheesy and crowded with kids. We were correct, but our kids really loved the whole experience. We had a rough start, arriving at 4:30 and expecting to be able to check-in. Our room was not ready, and they said that the bellman could hold our bags and they would call when our room was ready. I saw some other guests in the same situation who were pretty agitated.

We also went expecting the room to be small and worn and the beds to be uncomfortable. We expected that based on reviews we had read, but actually found the rooms to be large, quite nice, and comfortable. The air conditioning did not get at cold as we are used to, but in October we were fine.

My 11 -year-old really enjoyed Magiquest, but did experience some frustration with the wand not working properly at times. One time he took it back to the shop, and an employee was able to make it work better for a while. My husband got tons of exercise running up and down the stairwells to play the game. The 8-year-old found the game
frustrating, and much preferred to stay in the arcade. Which brings me to an important point- watch your wallet at the Great Wolf! There are so many ways to spend money- if you are not wanting to add hundreds to your trip, plan ahead! When going to buy Magiquest wands, have an adult scope it out first. As soon as your kids walk in, they will see many neat choices for wands and fancy toppers. Our children immediately grabbed their choices, and they ended up totaling $100 for both. If we had gone with the basic wands, it would have only been $60 total, but it was too late for us.

We found that the easiest way to eat was to get a pizza at the "Hungry Wolf" next to the arcade. Even though there were only 3 tables there, we were always able to grab one and eat a little before continuing to play. Many people seemed to be taking pizzas back to their rooms. There are ice cream and treats nearby, as well. We also saw someone having Papa John's delivered and others bringing a big order of Chick-fil-a into the lobby. In the morning, we ate the breakfast buffet and found it to be better than most hotel buffets.

The water park was of course, loud and crowded. The lazy river was definitely not lazy. You will constantly have very powerful water dumped on your head. It was kind of fun but not good for contact lens! The boys also really enjoyed the play area and waiting for the giant bucket to turn over and drop huge amounts if water on them. We also did some slides, and enjoyed them, as well. I would like to comment on the towel situation. The water park has bathrooms on both sides, but towels in only one spot. It would be great to have towels in many more spots, especially next to bathrooms. Also, there need to be many more changing areas. Lifeguards were diligent. Another reviewer commented that they were robotic, and trying to please their boss. I think that I much prefer that hyper-active behavior of moving around and looking from side to side over the traditional bored-looking lifeguard. If they are trying to pay attention, maybe it will help them to pay attention.

Most parents really enjoy watching their kids have a good time. Maybe it helps us recapture our youth. My husband commented that he didn't see a single child crying. I imagine that there are some parents who may get a moment to rest while their children run around the hotel playing Magiquest or play in the water park. If you are the type of parent (like we are,) who watch your children really closely, then you will be exhausted by the end of your stay. But your children will be happy!

• Stayed October 2013
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My kids had been begging to go to Great Wolf Lodge for several months. So when a Groupon deal hit my inbox, I snagged it.

We arrived on a Friday around 1 pm. There was no line, check-in was friendly and efficient, and we were given our wristband/room keys to head up to our room. My kids literally squealed with delight when they saw their "Wolf Den" sleeping area -- a separate, cave-themed "room within a room" that had bunk beds and its own TV. Score!

The rest of the room was pretty standard, but clean and well-laid out. We had a patio/balcony, but it was tiny -- barely large enough to step out on and crowded with two chairs and a small table. Fortunately, there was no upcharge for the patio/balcony because it wouldn't have been worth it.

The waterpark is pretty spectacular. For one thing, it's all indoors and kept at a moist 80ish degrees year-round. For another, there are tons of lifeguards stationed at every pool and slide, and they are serious about safety. I never saw them take their eyes off the water the entire time they were on duty, and they were quick to whistle anyone breaking the rules. Our kids are strong swimmers, but we felt extra confidence in having such well-trained lifeguards watching out for them.

We enjoyed all the slides, and my kids particularly loved the wave pool. There are plenty of tubes to float in, or you can just jump and dive into the waves as they roll in. The slides have a good variety of "not-at-all-scary" to "oh my!" If your kids are 48" or taller, they can ride anything, but be warned: that doesn't necessarily mean they should. The Howling Tornado is a pretty intense ride down a dark, twisting tube that ends in a rather chaotic funnel-shaped bowl before spitting you out the end. My husband and I loved it, but neither of my kiddos were a fan.

MagiQuest is a cool experience for older kids. My 9-year-old was totally into solving the quests and ran around the hotel with her wand, going up hidden stairwells and looking in walls. It's a great nighttime activity and is different from anything we'd ever seen. Some of the props didn't work as well as they should have (one kept telling her she needed to go back to the last step, which she had already completed), but overall it's worth the 30 bucks for a unique form of entertainment.

We did the Trick-or-Treat Trail, which took all of 10 minutes, but it did cause us to explore parts of the hotel we hadn't yet seen. Storytime at 8 pm was way too crowded. I wish the parents would stay at the back and let the kids sit up front because it's hard for the little ones to see when they're stuck at the back, sitting behind a bunch of grown-ups. If you're planning to do Storytime, you may want to get there early to get a better spot.

The restaurants are hit or miss. We had great experiences at Camp Critter (4th floor) and Hungry As a Wolf Pizza (basement level), but really poor experiences at Loose Moose (1st floor) and the snack bar inside the waterpark. If you really need to eat while you're at the waterpark, skip the snack bar and walk out to Hungry As a Wolf for a pizza the whole family can share. The price is reasonable for a very large pizza that is much better quality than anything they serve at that terrible snack bar. (And you'll probably save yourself 20 minutes of standing in the snack bar line.)

One thing you can't escape: the hotel is loud. Inside the waterpark, it's the rushing sound of water combined with kids yelling and screaming. But even in the hotel, the ceilings are high and sound just reverberates everywhere. I was amazed at how quiet it seemed when we walked outside.

We only stayed one night, which was plenty since you get to use the waterpark on both check-in and check-out day. By the afternoon of the second day, my kids were starting to lose interest. But everyone agreed it was a good time, and everyone wants to go back again someday!

Room Tip: If you're taking kids, the themed suites are really worth the splurge. The kids love having thei...
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Have been going to Great Wolf every year for the last 3 years with my 2 kids and my niece and nephew...they like the water park (very eventful and lots of lifeguards all over), and can spend hours in the arcade.
The room has a log cabin theme and gives them their own play/"camp" area where thay can do their thing...
The kids really got involved with the magi quest (some sort of runaround all over the facility finding clues for some magic thing)....

Breakfast is a very good buffet and the restaurants are ok (not spectacular).
A Starbucks on site gives very needed coffee relief and the gift store is great for gifts for folks back home.

All in all, good fun for the kids, but anything longer than 2 nights is probably too long.

Room Tip: high floor...and log cabin suite
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!