“2nd Successful Visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Ft. Worth
“2nd Successful Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My family just completed our second visit in as many years to Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, TX. We live in the area and after a successful weekend visit last year put it on our list for summer activities this year. There was 4 adults , 2 -8 yr olds and a 3 yr old (3 generations) in our party. We got an amazing deal on the 2 bdrm suite. The hotel was completely sold out and we were braced for complete overcrowding everywhere but it was not a problem in the least. We arrived at 1 pm, had to wait about an hour for room but check in and check out was done quickly even though there was quite a crowd each time.

As far as the room was concerned, we were very pleased. The only thing that could possibly have been better would have been more closet/dresser space. The beds were fine and we had no issue with noise from the hallway or from other rooms. We had an abundance of counter space, a microwave, refrigerator and 3 televisions. We took our Wii and were able to connect it to the television which provided extra nighttime and afternoon downtime entertainment.

Food service -- We took a great deal of snacks with us since we knew the kids would be non stop hungry with all the exercise they were getting. Technically you are not supposed to take outside food or drink into the waterpark but we did put some juice pouches and snacks in our beach bag and no questions were asked. We ate breakfast at the buffet each morning. The choices were plentiful and the quality good. The adult price was $14 each and children over 4 yrs were $5. Not cheap but certainly not overpriced as far as hotel prices. We ate one dinner at the restaurant on the 4th floor. Again, food was fine, prices not cheap but not astronomical either.

The Waterpark - It was crazy, loud and crowded - all of which we expected. I wish there was a little more for the little ones to do. I don't know that our 3 yr old noticed it but I got a little bored watching her in the little area that she was old enough for. Even with a sold out hotel, lines were not excessively long and there was plenty of space for all. We had no problem getting seats inside or outside at any time. The chlorine was a little strong inside but I don't think there is a lot that can be done about this.

The Magic Quest game was a hit for the second year. It's not cheap - I believe it it's about $30 for equipment and fees. We were able to take our wands from last year's trip and only pay the fee so we were able to get out for $16 per child. It can certainly be a group activity which would significantly cut down the cost for a family with several children. Our 8 yr olds were the perfect age for this. Having extra adults allowed us to keep the 3yr old in the room while the older ones could do their quest in the evening. It would be nice if there was a little bit more for the little ones to do outside of the Waterpark.
All in all, I am sure that we will be going back to GWL next summer. If you are looking for a romantic, relaxing or quiet vacation - DO NOT plan your trip here but if you are looking for a place your children will love and where you can make some great memories then this is certainly a place for you. Go with realistic expectations, and I don't believe you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: There is only one elevator bay and is in the middle of the hotel so if walking is an issue the rooms...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Expensive but fun for the whole family. A relaxing vacation if you have children. Grandparents can enjoy indoor park watching the kids having a blast. I am sure the lifeguards are out there but I did not see them. We highly recommend this place but be prepared to spend a few dollars

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Absolutely recommend this place to everyone! I have a daughter who is 3 1/2 years old and she had so much fun! she had a blast! Staff was amazingly nice. There are lifeguards everywhere in sight and it is extremely clean!
The wrist bands are awesome. They get you into your room and the kids can buy food and drinks with them.
Many people have asked me if it was crowded at all...yes there was a good amount of guests but you never felt like it was over crowded it was always comfortable!
Definetly would go again next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
McKinney, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I will admit, I went into this trip expecting to be bored and exhausted after just one night. But I ended up being pleasantly surprised! We checked in on Saturday July 7th right at 1:00 with plans on staying at the water park until our room was ready. We were surprised that our room was available right then. After dropping off our luggage, we headed to the indoor water area. My kids are at the perfect ages ( 8, 11) to really enjoy the park. They were tall enough to ride everything alone (48 inches) but my husband loved all the water slides and also had a great time. I found that the indoor area left me feeling a little gross and the water burnt my eyes, but my children never complained once. We rented a locker for the day, $20 deposit but you get back $ 10 when you return the key. Lunch was from the little take out place in the water park. Not cheap by any means. We did not like the fries (cold) and the burgers were that great either. The soft pretzels were the biggest hit. We brought in some snacks, so didn't need to buy too much. Dinner was at the buffet. I think it was a pretty good value, $5 for kids and $16 (I think) for adults.

The room was just what I expected, clean and comfortable, nothing special. We grabbed some muffins the next morning from the sweet shop. Overpriced and not that good. Then spent the rest of the day outside . Fun water slides outside, lots of chairs and huge sunshades! Much more enjoyable in my opinion!

Overall , it was a good weekend. We stayed one night and that was plenty for everyone. Probably spent $ 900 over the 2 days as there was 6 of us, 2 adults 4 kids. I would go again but this time look for specials through the website or Groupon.

Room Tip: Next time I would get a room with a balcony as I felt a little cramped. Our room had 2 queens and a...
Dallas,TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is our third stay at this resort, we always have a great time but the price for the rooms are out of this world.

This year my son was older/taller so we were able to get on more slides this visit so us adults had more fun this time.

The pizza spot is good, if they can get your order correct. They had to repeat ours twice and when you have a hungry family waiting it was not fun!

Katy, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

They call this place a "resort" and charge you the resort fee per night, but it's far from what a resort should be. The service there was terrible, IF you are expecting "resort" service. Most of this is "get it yourself", which is fine... But for the prices you pay, they should have some sort of luxury!

Check-in... You normally cannot check in until 4pm. But, they will allow you to start using the park as early as 1pm on the day you check in. Don't look for a bellman. It's "do it yourself". They supply "airport carts" for you to use to check yourself in and out of the place. They do have valet parking. Not worth it considering you can park in the front. Check-out is at 11am. You can check out and still use the park until close that day. That was nice.

The rooms... This is a basic $100-$125 room. The decor looked dated. It has a fridge and microwave, small tv... The bed was comfortable. The A/C would not stay on during the night, making it uncomfortable to sleep. They had just basic cable, limited channels... The lighting was terrible in bathroom. Only one light over the mirror and it was cover by a wooden "shade", so no extra light for the shower area. We paid $480 per night, which included the $15 resort fee and Uncle Sam's share of $85 (room rate was $380).

Food... As expected as far as price. The buffet was ok, but you can't eat there everyday, three times a day (same food at the buffet). The kid prices were $5, which is good. We did eat at the restaurant on the 4th floor. It was good (had the berry salad with chicken for $17, good!), just the service was lacking. Actually, the service lacked in both locations. We left to eat out for most evenings and one breakfast. It was worth it (Southlake/Grapevine/Roanoke)!! Eat at the "lodge" at least once... And eat out when you can. LOTS of great restaurants within 10 miles of the place. In the snack bar, the pretzel was the best! We ate several of those, lol. They have a pizza/italian place... Pizza with one topping is about $16. The kids liked. Of course they like ALL pizza! They will deliver to your room for $2. $4 for a 2-liter bottle of soda.
Recommend? Bring you own food and drink, eat out once a day (or not) to save money if you need to.

Adult Drinks... For adults, they had a walk-up bar in the indoor water park area and a full bar outside and in the buffet area. Pricing not too bad, a 16 oz Bud/Light and others was $5. Mixed drinks anywhere from $7-$12. They had some beers on tap, $5-$10 (16-23 oz).

Kid Drinks... They had a cup you can buy for $9 and refill for $2 each.

Water Park... Awesome! It was a lot of fun for all. We loved the slides!! Hours outside, 11-7, inside 9-9. Why 7pm outside?? The life gaurds did a great job! They were always monitoring the pool area, never messing around. If you wanted to bring a friend, it's $40 for the day pass. With that, you can get an idea how much they think their rooms are worth. With the outside, we (parents) like to sit and relax, maybe drink a cold one. No one to serve you... You have to go get it. Again, no problem, but if this place is a resort, they should have servers. They would have made more money!

Gimmicks... Ugh! The dang MagiQuest was a joke. I mean it's a good idea and fun for the kiddos, but geesh... They nickle and dime you! To play, you need a wand (basic $18), then you need to activate it ($13). You can buy the wand, without activation.... Why? Why not include it? Now... If you want to "fancy up" your wand, it will cost you! Stay with the basic... Oh yeah, Mom and Dad (with children under 8-10)... This is your exercise program for the day/time you are there!! If your kiddos are young, you will need to help/follow them on their "quest" all over the hotel!! Be ready, lol!

Gameroom... Run! That place will eat your money faster than you can make it, lol! You can load game cards for the kids to play, winning "tickets" to then use on junk. Like Chucky Cheese...

XD Theater... $6 per movie/ride. We didn't do this. The kids could care less.

Scoops... We do not have girls, so we didn't have to do this. We spoke to one parent and he said, "$80 for nail polish!"... I can only assume it's an expensive spa for your daughter.

Our kids are 15 and 11 and they had fun... But they were ready to go after two days. I could not see staying there longer than a weekend. Since they were older, they could come and go as they please, complete the quests, etc on their own. That was nice! Mom and Dad layed out for some much needed sun!!

This place is designed for people that have small children. Not a place to go if you do not have children. Not a place to go if your kids are over the age of 12-13, in my opinion. We went because we have always heard about this place and we wanted to go. I'm glad we went, but we could have booked a 4-5 day cruise for all of us for what we spent.

Room Tip: Don't get the upgrades or upgrade what's important to you! We didn't buy any of the upg...
Texarkana, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was my 1st time at Great Wolf Lodge, the grandchildren really loved it! I did feel that as much as it cost to stay you should get a free breakfast (nothing is free at this place) The room was okay, the noise level from the hall and room above us was very high. The girls really loved the water park and the Magic quest.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!