“Families read this review” 3 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Great Wolf Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Ranked #16 of 18 hotels in Grapevine
San Antonio, Texas
“Families read this review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This review is family-centric (as are most of my reviews) so if you're planning a trip to Great Wolf with your family, read on. My wife and I wanted to get a quick trip in this week so we booked one night for the two of us and our four kids ranging in age 4-10. We booked the family suite. It was a basic room. Two full beds and a pull out sofa sleeper. There was ample room, but I'm used to staying in true suites when we travel (kitchen included) so this was a little tight by our standards, but okay for just one night. We paid more than $500 for one room (again, for one night) which included our water park passes. Now, we've been to water parks all over the country. If you're expecting something along those lines, leave that idea at home. If you're looking for a park that your kids will enjoy, but nothing too out of this world, then you'll be okay. Some negatives about water park: long lines for the good rides (average wait for us was 20 minutes, some longer); no place to sit (get to the water park early to get a table otherwise you will not have a place to set your stuff down); lockers cost $10 to rent (if you happen to find an open one); outside food is not allowed in the water park so you're forced to buy their overpriced food/drinks. The lodge itself is beautiful and pretty clean considering. There are a lot of things to do but ALL of them cost money. Arcade? Pay up sucka. Some Harry Potterish wand search game? Gimme more money. Build a bear? Oh yes, cough up the moolah. So be ready to pay. The hotel will try to sell you on buying some kid passes. I didn't see the value in it. Some of the items on the wand hunt were not working and after a while, it was just kind of lame. In the evening, the hotel offers animitronics ala Disney and there is a bed time story program. In brochures and such they make it look quaint. There must have been 300 kids there easily and the audio system was awful. My kids sat there and didn't have a clue as to what was being said. We had dinner at the Loose Moose restaurant in the hotel. Don't do it. The buffet for the kids was $7.99 and $19.99 for adults. Add drinks...you get the idea. We walked out with $100 tab and what's worse, the food was awful. It was cold and flavorless. Grapevine has a lot of restaurants. For breakfast and lunch we went out of the hotel the next day. Too easy and we had a great meal for half the cost of teh buffet. If you want to cut your cost even more, bring sandwich stuff and make them in your room. You can also heat microwaveable food in the room. So there are ways to save money. Don't get suckered into valet parking. When you pull up to the hotel the first two lanes are valet. One of us got out and checked in while the other parked. Too easy. Front desk was awesome. Helpful and friendly. Rooms were clean. All staff were super. My advice is, look for ways to save money. This place will nickel and dime you to death. The water park is fun for kids and they will have fun. It is designed for kids so expect lines and crowds. One last thing, keys and your credit card info are stored on your wrist band so you don't have to carry wallets. Careful. This will add up on you. Gift shop, restaurant, arcade, bar, room service-----CHACHING. Before you know it, you've racked up a bill. Overall, we'd return, but only if we found a deal with rooms going for $150 or less. Otherwise, it is too expensive for what you get. It is a beautiful place, but just not worth it given what you get. Wait, one more thing...kids run around in this hotel unchecked until around 11 p.m. Be ready. They are everywhere and nobody corrals them. I get it, they're on vacation, but yelling up and down halls at 11 p.m. is pretty rude.

Room Tip: Pack food. Eat away from hotel. Look for bargains.

941 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We took our son and 3 of his buddies to celebrate his 10th birthday. This place is perfect for 10-year old kids to run freely around in a safe environment. They had their wristbands (one was a room key) which gave them all the freedom they needed. Bring a lot of money to take part in all the different activities. You cannot go to this place on a budget - it will just be a disappointment. Although it was an expensive night, we never really felt ripped off. Activities were priced right and the kids had so much fun that the cost wasn't a big deal. The staff were super friendly to the kids, held doors open for the parents and were just very accommodating overall. The Kid's Cabin room was awesome, the boys had a great time on the bunkbeds and controlling their own TV. Loved that the boys could venture thru the hotel and go back and forth between the slides and the arcade and didn't require constant parent supervision. Made it a fun time for my husband and me too. Tips: take the stairways - the elevators took forever and were crowded. The rooms had refrigerators and microwaves so you can bring your own drinks and snacks.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $$ and get the kid's cabin. Lots of fun and creates some privacy for the parent...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

The room was not serviced our entire stay. The room was extremely stuffy. It was dusty and moldy. Allergy and asthma attacks non stop. Not worth the money. It was too crowded. Staff complained of having to work long hours and rooms were booked to capacity.

• Stayed November 2012
Plano, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I purchased a special discount to take my family and some of my daughter's friends for a belated birthday celebration. I mistakenly thought I'd cut a chunk of the significant cost because of the room discount, and my kids were both totally excited about our trip because I said we could add on some extras since we were saving so much money.

Upon arrival at the hotel, it's clear that the place is totally, completely tailored to children and families. My son was able to keep himself plenty busy in the lobby area while I waited in line to check in and pay about $100 in fees and taxes. From here on out, I'll just call Great Wolf Lodge the "$100" hotel. After making our way to the room -- it was nice, clean, comfortable enough -- we wanted to explore. Let's pick up magic wands to play the treasure-hunting game in the hotel! $100. Let's get dinner! $100. Breakfast? You guessed it, $100.

If cost is not a consideration for you, Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine is a BLAST. My kids really, really enjoyed it. My husband and I enjoyed it too. The water park was uber-fun, and there's so much going on all the time that there is also plenty to keep the kids busy. The restaurants were also good, and even though the hotel was packed with families enjoying a long weekend we didn't have to wait to be seated.

Overall, I recommend this resort. We will likely go back, as the kids wanted to stay longer. However, we'll continue to watch for specials. Our one night, two days in the hotel with activities for the kids ended up costing as much as we would have paid for a weekend in Mexico for just the four of us... so perhaps this will be our getaway during hurricane season. :)

Room Tip: Stayed in one of the loft rooms -- plenty of space for four pre-teen girls and chaperone parents!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Boerne, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I never knew how much fun a family could have at Great Wolf Lodge! Granted, I was with preteen children that could explore on their own. But, I felt very safe within this environment. MagiQuest will keep kids busy for hours! The decor was amazing.The water park was terrific and well-supervised by the staff. The Elements Spa was perfect for adults! Plenty to do and see. I would definitely recommend it to others!!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the elevators and stairs...it's quieter. Be prepared for lots of walki...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

For years I balked at the price of staying here. Just do it. Book 3 months in advance for the best rate & stay. Wow. This place is amazing. Stayed with husband & 5 year old. Really, it wouldn't matter if you had a 5 month old or a 50 year old, you'll have a blast. Spa was great, restaurants were great, staff was great, pools were great, beds were SO comfortable. We already have plans to go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Loved the hotel and the family environment, it is on the expensive side but its so amazing and fun for the entire family. Tip, do buy the $70 package at the front desk that includes a magic wand and the magic quest game. It's so much cheaper than to walk in to the store, once your kids see All the other kids playing magic quest around the hotel they will not stop bothering u till you get it. I wish I would've know this before, I spend $56 on the magic wand and magic quest alone. :(

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!