“Bring money - lots of money” 3 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Great Wolf Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Ranked #16 of 18 hotels in Grapevine
Pflugerville, TX
“Bring money - lots of money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

The grand kids really enjoyed the overnight visit to the water park but they enjoyed a trip for the week to the beach even more and the cost was similar. For my money we will take the beach. Everything is extra and overpriced. I asked for a warm up on my coffee and I was charged $2.29 for it. Really???? A bottle of water was 2.50. Parking was impossible, we got a 1:00 AM wake up with a false fire alarm. On a positive note they comped lunch due to the alarm (but I had to ask), the customer service seemed ok.

928 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My daughter and her 10 and 12 year old, and I and two more grandchildren ,5 and 6, just got back from a 2 night stay at GWL. We had a wonderful time. We got there at 11:30 am which is when they start check in. Of course, we didn't have a room, but that is what we expected. I will say that we got a great parking spot (and we stayed in it for the duration of our stay.) I did buy 2 Paw Passes for the 5 and 6 year old. After check in, we explored as this was our first trip to GWL. I thought that it was very neat as did the children. There is a giant tree in the lobby with white lights on it. We visited the shops. We looked at the animals to be stuffed and picked out what we thought we might like for later. We even got our wands for the Magic Quest game. We just got plain wands, and they worked just fine. We started our first quest which was fairly simple. I went with the 5 and 6 year old and my daughter went with the 10 and 12 year old. About 2:00, the office called on my cell phone to tell me we had been assigned a room. Everyone gets a wrist band and that is your key into the room. The kids wrist bands do not open the door; nor can they charge with their wrist bands like the adults can.

We had reserved a suite that had a queen size bed, a pull out couch, and another small room that had bunk beds and its own TV. The room was clean and large with high ceilings. Ours had a patio that overlooked the outdoor swimming pool (which the little ones liked to look at.) The 5 and 6 year old loved watching the planes take off and land from DFW. Outside on the patio, it was fairly noisy, but inside, we did not notice the planes at all. We were on the 4th floor near the end of a L O N G hall. (which was fine as we needed the walk.) It was nice and quiet. We were never disturbed by slamming doors or kids running, etc. We did decorate our door (which I know is a waste of time for many people, but we always do on cruises.. and we do at resorts too.) The 5 & 6 year old pick the theme and they put it up. They enjoy that as much as swimming. The beds were comfortable enough. I should have brought my own pillow as I am that old that I prefer my own. The 5 & 6 year olds did not complain about the sofa bed and of course, the big kids liked having their own tv and room. (I did put a block on pay tv as I didn't want to deal with any "accidental ordering." The airconditioning in the room was great. I hate being hot, and it had no problem cooling us off.

We unloaded the car. We brought a lot of food because we were staying two days. We planned on having breakfast and lunch in the room and maybe out for dinner. The room had a refrigerator that worked well and a great little microwave. I brought: grapes, bagels, breakfast cereals, shells and cheese, microwave popcorn, cookies, yogurt, water, soda, apple juice, Country time Lemonade mix, paper plates, napkins, straws, plastic glasses, rice krispie treats, . I'm sure I missed something, but I think the popcorn was the biggest hit.

For dinner we ate at the restaurant on the 4th floor, which is similar to Chili's, but not as good. The kids' meal was $7.99. The kid drinks were $1.99. The older kids wanted soda which was $3.00 a coke. They knew they had a captive group. Three of the kids ate the kids' meal which was ok. Two salads and one burger were also ordered. We got out of there for $100. Kinda pricy for what we got, but hey... everyone had a good time. The kids also got wolf ears (so don't buy them at the gift shop if you are eating at this restaurant.) I knew that we could eat cheaper at a burger joint by Grapevine Mills' Mall, but for one thing, I did not have to load everyone up... and loose my good parking place.

The 2nd night we ordered pizza from Hungry Like a Wolf which is located in with the ice cream. The pizza was just OK. The crust was a little thin for our liking, but we ate it anyway' and it only cost $13.00.... a big savings from the night before. No one went hungry.. for sure.

The two older kids loved the Magi Quest. The 12 year old got listed on the television as the day's leader and then one of the leaders for the week. When he finished, he went around helping kids that wanted help. The little ones didn't really care. I think they finished 3 quests and none of the adventures. But... they will tell you that they loved the quests.

The older kids loved the water slides, but I don't think they even did them until the second and last day. They were too busy with the arcade and the Magi Quest the first day. The arcade uses a credit card like plastic for the games rather than tokens. Be sure and print the coupons they send you with your sign in as you can get 15 or so extra credits with a $20. dollar bill. In the waterparks, the water was not too cold either inside or out. It did not bother our eyes. We brought goggles, but did not use them. I would suggest water shoes for adults and kids as the pool bottom is rough. The little girls did not do any of the big slides, but they liked the wave pool. (If you want a tube for the wave pool, look to the back of the pool rather than at the entrance. When people tire of them, they just let them go... and they end up back there.) And the girls enjoyed the kiddie slides. In the outside pool, they have 3 to 4 foot circles that look like cross sections of a tree. Above them there is netting that one can hold on to as they try to walk across these floating circles without falling off. They let me enter the water and hold the circles so that the little ones could crawl from wooden circle to the next as they were not tall enough to hold onto the netting. There are plenty of life vests if one wants one. Be sure and bring a cover up for when you leave the pools.
They did say the lodge was at capacity as it always is in the summer. It really didn't feel that crowded to me. Sometimes when all the kids were using their wands and lined up for the next quest, it felt full... but it was no problem.
My little ones did the kid camp and enjoyed it, but they did not want to go back?? They really liked going to the night time story time. We did that 2 nights. Bring your camera as there will be a character to take a picture with your kids. My little ones love their characters... Disney World trained them well for that. They would not go to the morning Wake Up. They just had other things to do.

My kids saved up their tickets from the arcade until the last day when they cashed them in for big prizes. The 10 year old got a light up sign with a guitar on it that flashes and the 12 year old got a nerf gun of some sort. He also got a pin for being a champion magi or some such thing.

Check out time is 11:00. We put our stuff in the car, but continued to swim and play for a couple more hours. The older kids could have stayed longer, but I was done. We did let the older kids go off by themselves each day and had them check in every 2 hours or so. We brought walkie talkies, but they did not work here. We did have a couple of issues that were handled well by the hotel staff. The 12 year old ate something that I brought that was packaged in a factory that also has peanuts and tree nuts. Yes, the grandmother gave her grandson who is allergic to peanuts.. a cookie contaminated with his allergens. About 2:00 am he started throwing up. We called them early the next morning for clean sheets and they came very quickly and changed out the bedding. They were very nice. He was fine the next morning.. he just had to get rid of the 'evil' nut. We also had a slow flushing toilet... a call later, and they were there within 5 minutes ready to help. Everyone we dealt with... from the hotel staff, to the club kid, to the people who filled the stuffing in the animals, etc. were delightful.

Yes, the place costs a bunch of money... but not as much as a cruise or Disney World. It is close to Plano where we call home. Everyone had a good time. We will be going back, I'm sure.

Room Tip: One would want to be away from the Quest game for sure.. as the kids do that from morning to night...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Everything was way overpriced. The wands for the quest game are $68 and don't do anything once you leave. Our whole family also got a terrible virus within one day of our stay. We will not be going back.

• Stayed August 2012
Mansfield, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I took my daughter and my niece, both 11 years old, to GWL for one night. Fortunately, I joined the Wolf e-pack and found out about a good rate because it was an off-peak time. (the week before school started) Our room was ready when we arrived around 2pm, which was a nice surprise because I didn't expect it to be ready until 4. Checking in was easy--we had already done the online check-in before we got there. We were given bracelets that gave us entrance to the waterpark, and only my bracelet had an electronic room key on it. The lobby of the hotel makes you feel like you're in the forest. It's kind of dark and woodsy. Our room was almost at the very end of a very, very long hall. Downside: a lot of walking/ Upside: very quiet. We had one queen bed and a sofa bed. The sofa bed was very uncomfortable and I didn't sleep well, but I was too tired to care very much and it was just one night. (I'm not picky, but I really could not have done it another night.) The room is pretty plain. It has high ceilings and is echoey. It has a lodge feel to it. There is a mini-fridge, a microwave and a coffee maker in the room. I highly recommend bringing your own drinks and snacks because everything at the hotel is pricey, and your kids will get hungry and thirsty at a waterpark.

We changed and headed to the waterpark. This happened to be an unusually rare, cool, rainy day in August. The indoor park was pretty crowded and it took a while to find a place to sit. The chlorine smell is strong and does sting your eyes until you get used to it. The water was cold--hopefully they raise the temperature during winter months. It was kind of dark and a little gloomy. We went outside, but it was just too cool to be in the water. The hotel won't allow you to take pool towels out of the waterpark, so if you're not a big fan of walking through an air-conditioned hotel in a wet swimsuit, take your own towel or a cover-up. The slides are fun--some of them start indoors, go outside of the building, then come back in again.

We ate dinner at the buffet restaurant, Loose Moose Cottage. It was very good. They have a good selection of fresh food, a separate shorter buffet with kid-favorites, and some made-to-order stations (that night it was paninis and pasta) Our waiter was nice and gave the girls wolf-ear headbands.

After dinner, we went to the arcade which has the typical games that give you tickets you redeem for prizes. Next, we went to play Magic Quest. Here's how that works: You pay over $30 per person to sign up and get your magic wand. You choose a "quest", then you follow the clues that lead you to different places in the hotel. You wave your wand at things, they light up and your wand electronically records that you have found the item, then you go find the next one. When you find all the items, you go to the last place on the list, wave your wand, and are rewarded with a mythical creature that comes up on a video screen to award you a "rune". Then you choose another "quest" and go through the same steps to complete it. There are 11 different quests, so this whole game could take a LONG time. Some kids REALLY get into this. If your kid is a big Harry Potter-type, he/she will love it. I joked with my girls that it was really an exercise routine in disquise, because the clues had us running up and down stairwells. We were exhausted after just collecting 3 of the runes, and after a while it just wasn't that much fun any more.

The waterpark closes at 9pm, so after that you'll see a lot of kids running around doing MagicQuest or playing in the arcade. There's also a clock tower show and story time. Kids come to the lobby in their pajamas to watch animated mechanical characters come out of the trees to sing. This was cute, but too young for my girls.

There is a lot you can spend money on at GWL. Glitter tattoos, Scoops spa for little girls, photos from waterslides, the arcade, MagicQuest, gift shop, build-your-own stuffed animal store, restaurants, snacks and drinks. None of it is included, and all of it is expensive. I payed $17 for 2 ice creams and 2 bottles of water.

Not many kids over the age of 13 are going to enjoy GWL very much. (my 14 and 19 year old boys wouldn't have liked it) The activities are geared more toward younger kids. My suggestion: add more sport-themed activities (rock climbing wall, lazer tag) and a teen dance club, video game room and internet cafe'.

We ate breakfast at the buffet again, and it was very good. My made-to-order omelet was delicious, and there was an excellent selection of items including tamales, breakfast burritos, waffles, pancakes, biscuits, gravy, eggs, bacon, sausage, roasted potatoes, cereal, oatmeal, pastries and fresh fruit. The only complaint I had was that I couldn't get a good cup of tea. I ordered hot tea and our server brought a cup of hot water with a tea bag on the side. By the time I got back to my table from the buffet, the water was just warm. (sorry--big pet peeve of mine) Fortunately, there is a Starbucks in the hotel.

Being at GWL felt like part cruise ship on land/part summer camp. I'm glad we went once and the girls had a good time, but one night was enough. If you want to go, I recommend signing up for the e-pack so you can get a better deal. Take your own snacks and drinks and pool towels and be prepared to spend some money. $$$$$

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The water park is clean well managed and taken care of, however the hotel side offers over priced rooms with poor customer service, and over priced food. The extras are what get me, 10 a day for a locker, are you serious !!! Food service was mediocre as well as the food, room is an overpriced hotel room with some nice kid themes, you can spend your money better elsewhere.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We loved our first floor room with a king size bed and sofa bed for our three year old. Also great having a refrigerator and microwave in the room. The rooms are expensive, but the price does include access to the water park, which is restricted to registered guests only.

The water park was delightful - we used the indoor area 90 percent of the time to avoid having to use sunscreen. There are large areas for young children with helpful and friendly lifeguards everywhere. The water in the children's areas ranged from one and a half to two feet deep. The water park was very clean and just the right temperature.

There are also great slides for teenagers and adults. We purchased three of the pictures taken on the Canyon River Run of our family members in a the raft enjoying the slide.

The food in the lodge restaurant is good, but unreasonably expensive for the area. Fortunately, my mother-in-law served oatmeal, boiled eggs, and fruit every morning in her suite and wonderful tuna salad and pimiento cheese sandwiches for lunch. There are good restaurants for dinner in charming historic downtown Grapevine.

We avoided all of the overpriced shops and food - we just concentrated on enjoying the great water park and our luxurious room.

Room Tip: Our five extended families had five different rooms. The basic room is very nice and the others are...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lewisville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This place is wonderful, the kids will love it! We enjoyed that you had the choice of indoor or outdoor parks, we also enjoyed the other features like night time story time and cubs club. The arcade area is nice too. Rooms are large and tons of fun to wander around the hotel, Grapevine as a whole is awesome you have Grapevine Mills Mall, the Gaylord hotel across the street which is great to go explore, the Bass Pro Shop and the downtown Grapevine area which is wonderful especially in the winter time but, also has festival and what not all year round, we loved it!

Room Tip: If possible get the larger suites for kids since it is really roomy and tons of fun for the kids!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!