“Great Family Stay-cation” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Great Wolf Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Ranked #16 of 18 hotels in Grapevine
“Great Family Stay-cation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

When it comes to family resorts and traveling with kids, you have to have the attitude of, "it is what it is." Go to Great Wolf Lodge expecting an indoor water park and you won't be disappointed. That is exactly what we did. We booked our room (a standard king with a pull-out) in advance, reviewed the Great Wolf website to know what we were in for, and went prepared to spend time at the water park from 1:00 pm until we were done the next day. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Check in was extremely fast when we arrived a little after 1:00, and even though our expectation was that our room would not be ready (and we took the website's advice to have our swimsuits accessible in that case), ours was. If we hadn't done that, we certainly could have taken advantage of one of the activities that is offered daily in the lobby (Master LEGO building, Animal Encounters from the Dallas Zoo). Our room was clean and nicely furnished and exceeded our expectations of someplace to shower and crash after a long day at the water park.

The water park was extensive and offered activities for kids of all ages. Safety is top priority there, with lifeguards everywhere. We really enjoyed all of the water activities, and felt comfortable leaving our things at a table while we all rode the slides, or sent the kids (ages 8 & 10) to go it alone while we took a break. After reading the reviews, I was concerned that there'd would be a lot of rude kids, and frankly, I encountered maybe one. It is loud, and there are kids everywhere, so be prepared. If you need a quick break from the action, head over to the adults-only hot tub located in a corner by the indoor cabanas. There's hardly anyone using it, and it offers a good view of the giant kid's water playground. There are plenty of places to grab a snack and even an adult beverage without leaving the water park. Our only criticism of the entire visit is that concessions sometimes ran a little slow.

Here's a hint: remember that you can enter the water park at 1:00 the day you arrive and stay until closing at 9:00 pm the next day? Crowds are small from 9:00 am- 1:00 pm, so don't sleep in- go down to the water park and ride with minimal lines before the next day's guests check in.

The arcade, Magiquest, and all the other kids' activities are a bonus. My kids did Magiquest In the afternoon before we left, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Running up and down the stairs with the wands was a little too much for my husband's patience. So we handed the kids a cell phone (ages 8 & 10 remember), told them we would be at the restaurant on the main level, and to call or find us if they needed help or when they were done. We enjoyed a drink and an appetizer in relative peace, knowing the kids were just fine.

Remember that I mentioned that it's helpful to have the attitude of "it is what it is"? Well, that's true! Great Wolf is an indoor water park geared towards kids. Go expecting something different and you will be disappointed. Great Wolf is not intended to be a relaxing adult retreat (despite the hot tub and adult drinks) or even a Disney-esque "something for everyone." It's for kids, and my kids had a blast.

Is Great Wolf expensive? Sure, but we weren't disappointed. It's perfect for a once- or twice- a-year overnight visit. The food was good, service was friendly, and we rode home with kids who were happy and tired, gripping their Magiquest wands. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Great Wolf is a kid's resort, so I anticipated noise. It's also close to DFW airport. I do...

988 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Odessa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Just came back from spending 2 days at the Great Wolfe Lodge. I was a little nervous after reading a ton of reviews. The negative ones always seem to stick out more so I was a little apprehensive on what to expect. Well I have to say our family had the best time ever. Some people are a little to high maintenance and should probably stay somewhere else. This place is for KIDS!!!! Not sure what some people expected.........
But we stayed in the Kid Cabin Suite and it was very spacious. Yes it is a little expensive but the room was perfect for the 3 adults an 11 year old and a 2 year old. We had her birthday party in the room and invited family that lived nearby and it accomodated it us perfect. Yes wristbands are $40 extra per guest you invite but it makes sense, I would hate to spend all this money and have extra people not staying in the hotel crowding the pool areas. The bands were valid for the 2 days we were there for our guests. Yes their are children running around the hotel but I think that is the concept of this hotel so if you do not want to be around kids do not stay here. Curfew is 11pm for children under 18 and for the most part the kids were exhausted by then. Our rooms were pretty sound proof except for the occasional door slamming but that didnt bother us. The hotel was booked solid so it was packed, parking was a bit of a nightmare but they offer valet, the line was long when I checked in at 1:30 but it went fairly quick and smoothly. I did check in early but they took down my phone number to call me when the room was ready and we were given our wristbands to access the waterpark. Took me about 10minutes to check in. Well it took us about 30 minutes to get our stuff from the truck and change when they called me about our room being ready which worked out perfect!!! We took 2 coolers with drinks and one with food so that saved us alot of money. We ordered pizza from Palios which was pretty good. So we were in our room by 2:30!! The tvs are a little outdated but we did not watch tv. The WIFI is a little spotty but for the most part it worked!! So we finally made our way down to the waterpark around 4 and it was full but there were enough tables and chairs to put our stuff on. As soon as we entered the baby pool some nasty little kid had pooped, but the lifeguards were right on it, ushered everyone out and closed it off for about an hour to clean and sanitize which made me feel better about sanitation. The water is a little cool and the baby was shaking a little but once she was running around and playing your body gets used to the tempature. The lifeguards were very friendly and attentive to their surroundings. They kept the lines going for the waterslide rides and were walking around the kiddie pool making sure all the kids were safe and no hershey bars floating around. My eyes did burn a little from the water but overall it was a fantastic experience. At one point I did go to the bar to buy a beer and some high maintenance lady was complaining about the place and she ordered wine and the bartendar asked her if she was going to the waterpark and in her snotty voice said well of course so the bartendar proceeded to pour the wine in a plastic container because glass is not ALLOWED in the waterpark which makes perfect sense!! who wants to step on glass!!!!!!! Well the lady started yelling at the bartendar that she didnt drink wine out of plastic!! Please lady this is a freakin kid hotel not a high end 5 star resort. Anyways, the staff was great, friendly and our stay was fabulous. Checkout was a breeze. I highly recommend this hotel for families. Worth the money we spent.

Lantana, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We just finished our third one-night stay at GWL in Grapevine since we live in the area. There were 5 of us in a standard family suite so one would have to sleep on the sofa bed. We pulled out the sofa bed rather late, around 10:30pm, to find that there wasn't even a real mattress on there. It seemed like a bag of springs covered with a blanket. It was horrible! After about 30 minutes we decided that one of us had to go home to sleep instead of waking up the next day in severe pain.

I talked to the front desk and they did try to accommodate us with other options like a single bed cot or changing to a room with a king and a queen. The latter would have worked but half of our group was already in bed, so it was just too late to do that (our fault I guess, for not trying the bed out earlier). I was satisfied that they tried to resolve the problem, so I am still giving them an average rating otherwise I would have given a 2 star rating. I just DO NOT recommend going the sofa bed route, not even for a child. It was totally unsleepable for anyone!

As far as the the rest of the stay, I must say that the place is starting to look a little run down and old. The carpet in the hallway and rooms is almost disgusting and I personally wouldn't want to walk on it barefoot. The television is very outdated and not easy to use. The room was clean, however, my daughter did wake up with a bite, so I suspect possible bedbugs. (not confirmed).

Going back to our first stay which I never wrote a review for but wanted to......we had the worst service in the restaurant (the full service restaurant name I don't know) I have ever had such bad service anywhere, so we never ate in the restaurants again...except Starbucks.

For the water park we really don't have too many complaints except that the conveyor belt which takes the large rafts up to the Tornado and River Canyon Run slides kept stalling and it made for longer than normal wait times. Added to that was the fact that there were 2 deflated 4-person rafts that were ruined but never replaced which slowed down the two large slides because due to slower raft return. There should be replacement/back-up rafts ready and waiting, especially in the high peak seasons. This didn't seem to be the case.

Last complaint is that the towels are in one locations which happens to be right by the door that lets in the incoming A/C draft when the door opens, so you freeze just trying to get a towel! There could be another location to grab a towel since there are numerous laundry bins where you discard your wet ones. Doesn't make sense. As someone else said, it's good to have your own towel for walking back to your room otherwise you freeze!

Overall seems like the place is looking a little run down since our first vist 15 months ago. Not planning on returning for a while but since the kids love it so much, so it's been worth it. my average rating still stands for the above reasons.

Katy, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This place is high$$.

That being said, the kids had a good time with the exception of the long lines and the few kids whose parents put them in the pool and went to the mall. The room was great, bunk beds were perfect and kept the kids separated which is unusual when we travel. We thought the bed (a little small) was nice and the kids also said they were comfortable.
One suggestion, put an exhaust fan in the bathroom, this would help with the humidity from wet bathing suits and warm showers. There was spinners to dry suits somewhere, but we never saw them.
We were on the 8th floor and enjoyed the nice view of the parking lot and approaching airplanes, but could hear neither.

Overall, we knew it was going to be $$, and can you really put a price on your kids happiness while they still want to actually go somewhere with you? If your looking at this resort, then you already know the answer.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

As a lifeguard, I keep reading all these reviews about poop in the pool! Surely the kids can't be pooping that much. I have worked at many aquatic facilities and have personally seen lifeguards secretly putting a small chocolate candy bar in the water so they would have to shut down operations for a few hours!!! It's an old trick and customers should be aware of this!!! If it were me I would demand to inspect it first. You pay top dollar to stay and enjoy this resort and that behavior is unacceptable!!! My family and I have reservations for the day after Christmas and I'll be looking out for that type of thing!! I won't be a happy camper if this happens during our stay! I rated this average because I had no choice! I haven't stayed yet so I dated it for August! I'm coming from California.

Thanks,
Fellow LG

• Stayed August 2012
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I can't believe this place, rude staff, dirty room, patio is more like an emergency exit onto a busy road, just a generally awful experience.

The kids started out excited about this but when we had to wait hours for the room to be ready in an 80 degree lobby they lost excitement quickly. The food is terrible, the beer was warm, the pool water tasted like urine, the kid pool was closed because of a kiddo pooping in it.

The only positive about this was the excitement we had leading up to having a family vacation. We are here now and every few minutes we seriously contemplate forfeiting our reservation and cost to go across the street to the Gaylord Texan.

All I can say is read the real reviews from this place. Most of the reviews left have to be from staff of the company.

AVOID THIS PLACE!!!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

I've been to great wolf lodge in grapevine about four times. I always have an enjoyable stay, the waterpark is a little
Bit over crowded but it's not too bad. I would reccomend taking your own towel inside the waterpark though because they don't let you take the park owned towels outside of the park so you're freezing while walking to your room. Everything there is pretty overpriced, like all the food there. The arcade is enjoyable, this is a family recommended place or a great place to have a kids birthday party. The staff is kinda rude in my opinion. The hotel is greatly decorated and it's just a great atmosphere. I would reccomend this hotel for familes, it's also located right by the grapevine mills mall and the Gaylord Texan hotel. Also there is a Starbucks in the hotel which is great.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!