“Mixed Emotions” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 18 hotels in Grapevine
Lewisville, Texas
“Mixed Emotions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

This trip was a group present for my grandson's birthdays. Mid-winter, I thought it would be a great invigorator. With a promise of 85 degrees, I planned to take part in the fun. We went on a non-holiday weekend, right after school on Friday; Dad would meet us after work. We went to the water-park and noticed, immediately, that is was not 85 degrees. When I questioned the temperature, one of their darling attendants, looked down at me and stated that the water and air temps were monitored digitally and controlled by internet. I informed them that I hadn't seen a child in the park that wasn't blue and shivering. Parents seemed not to notice - I guess you have to be a Grandma. Warm towels were plentiful but the place was freezing. If the air was 85 when it left the vents, it cooled rapidly on the way down and moved fast enough to create a breeze. Other water parks we have been to (even in the North) have managed to maintain "balmy" so I had to wonder why Texas wasn't able to pull it off.
We had been told (several times) that you could sleep 4 in the Kids Cabin where I planned to stay with the children to give Mom and Dad a little privacy. When I called the desk and asked what the problem was, they said they would bring us a roll-away. I thought the roll-away would fit between the bottom bunks but, not so much. We kept the roll away and they tried to bring us another one, and another one, and another one. Because of the "confusioin" they offered us a credit - again, not so much. I slept on the roll-away outside the Kids Cabin. Every spring made it's presence known.
When we settled down, we noticed a great deal of commotion in the hall - children running and acting as if it was mid-morning - very loudly. It seems we were 2 rooms down from the main stairwell for the Wizzards Trek that they have and seems to run 24-7. Count on $100 per child, at least; but it is fun for anyone that can do six flights of stairs, back-and-forth, at least 4 times. We heard one man state that he had been on it nearly 70 hours with his children, as you are free to come back and work on it at any time - even after your stay.
If the name "Loose Moose" inspires you to dine, we had breakfast there and it was filled with a great many breakfast delights and we enjoyed it. Watch the omlette maker while you are in line. It is possible that they don't know that the cheese is supposed to melt. Still, very good. The Sports Bar on the third floor was very good and I recommend the Portabello Mushroom. The Grill in the Water Park was very good. Sat night we all agreed on having funnel cakes for dessert. I asked for 6 "fresh" funnel cakes. In the five minutes it took to get back to our room, they were skinny, tough and rubbery. For Sun breakfast, we fell victim to the doughnut disaster next to Pizza Hut, who prepared our Fri night familiars, and they didn't let us down.
Get your funnel cakes at Six Flags, wait on your water park fix for the opening of NRH20 - Hurricaine Harbor is better for teens and adults - Great Wolf will probably be "balmy" in summer when outside temps stay in tripple-digits for months and don't count on getting any sleep if you are near the center stair-well. Besides the noise, the Wolf needs to spring for new beds. It was the first hotel in years that had really uncomfortable beds.
Great Wolf does offer a wristband with the ability to open your room and charge anything you want in the entire hotel. This was a great convenience and I would recommen it, highly, for adults only. I would like to recommend that, if you are a single-parent and plan on getting one of these bands for your (he seemed about 6) child, and dump them in the water park while you have a trist in you room; rest assured that everyone in the park is feeling sorry for your child and doing their best to watch over him and not let him be overcome by lonliness and the sense of dessertion. If we knew who you were we would call HRS. If it ever seems people are talking about you, they are!

Room Tip: Stay away from the center stairwell by the big tree on the 1st floor. This is the floor beneath the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for the lengthy review. As mentioned during your trip, the temperature in the waterpark is kept at a constant 84 degrees. I apologize that it felt breezy and cooler during your stay. As for the roll-away bed issue, I am glad we were able to credit you for your inconvenience.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the food for the most part during your stay. The comments regarding the funnel cake have been shared with our Director of Food and Beverage.

I hope that you and your family will visit us again.

Kind Regards,

953 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012 via mobile

Wow the kids loved it! It is a very active vacation climbing stairs for the waterslides. Climbing stairs for the really fun MagiQuest. We had a great room on top floor at the end of the hall so it was quiet. If you are too close to the elevators or stairs where kids are playing MagiQuest I imagine it would be noisy. Ask for a room away from the game. I did think it was expensive especially because prices were jacked up for Spring Break. But kids had a blast, ages 10 & 14. It was a vacation they will remember and in the end that matters to me. Lines were not bad. 3 nights are enough and u might be able to do it in 2 nites. Food is expensive and quality not so great as is typical for this kind of venue. If your family likes to eat healthy, for get it. I advise getting in the car and driving to a restaurant for dinner. I would keep fruit and yogurt and drinks in the fridge in the room. I have to give it the highest rating because of the waterpark and MagiQuest. My kids totally loved it and were happy and exhausted at the end of the day. The MagiQuest is extra but worth the price! My 10 year old son really felt like Harry Potter.

• Stayed March 2012
Granbury, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I got a great deal on Groupon for the family. I have three kids and suprised them one day by taking them to the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine. Now, i got a half price deal which was still over 200.00 for one night stay. The waterpark was nice and the kids had fun, my problem was with the customer service, r lack of I should say. First thing, we get in at 1:00 which is the time we are allowed in to the water park after checking in. The room was not ready, which I was aware might happen. My wife and kids go ahead and go to park while I wait with Luggage in lobby. Three hours later I ask the front desk if My room is ready. He looks up my name, and tells me I havent checked in yet, to where my reply is showing him the bracelet key on my wrist. His reply is "oh, she forgot to cue you in", to which I reply, "C,mon Man". He then tells me to "hold on". I tell him I have been holding on for three hours. He fixes the key, that is on my wrist by giving me a new one. and tells me to have fun. No apology, no we screwed up, nothing. The staff is mostly teens grouped together laughing and talking waiting for someone to ask for help, rather than offering to serve. Pizza place served me pizza, salads, and burned breadticks. went up to 8th floor, no napkins, plates, or forks. Management is scarce, and lifegaurds look pissed. Not what i expected from a so called "Resort". Positive- rides are fun. Thats it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear you were able to participate in our Groupon promotion but, that does not make up for the issues during your trip.
We pride ourselves on customer service, and your comments have been shared with our Director of Guest Services.

I hope that you and your family will give us another chance to show you a true Great Wolf Lodge experience.

Kind Regards,
Colorado Springs, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

My family and I stood here during my last stay in Grapevine, Texas and may I say we absolutely loved it! Think of all any water park you've been to, now picture it indoors in mid winter! As we stood here there were a lot of joyous opportunities for us to enjoy, an arcade, fun places to eat inside with many delicious meals, such as a Pizza Hut, Starbucks for your everyday essential coffee run, and many more. They have an enjoyable little game for the kids to play as they venture their way through the lodge! The rooming is great as well, room service went above and beyond their business call! Their were some staff members that weren't as pleasant as others, we happened to hear a manager speaking ill of one of his employees in the restaurant upstairs which came off to be very unprofessional in the eyes of my wife and I since we happened to work HR for quite some time.
Aside from that we had a blast! Bring the whole family, and have a high spending budget, this area isn't cheap! :-)

Room Tip: They do offer different rooms, but to be honest, keep the rooming as simple as possible there's...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012 via mobile

Spent one night there and paid close to 500 dollars for the worst rooms I have ever been in. The beds were so uncomfortable that we all woke up with backs hurting. You would think that spending that much money the rooms would be comfortable and nice. Fold out couch was the worst. Everything in that hotel cost way too much money.

• Stayed March 2012
Frisco, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Despite my better judgement after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, I booked a two-night trip to GWL for the first two nights of Spring Break 2012 at an average rate of $339/night.

Check-in was very efficient Friday afternoon, about 5pm. They had installed additional computers and had probably 15-20 agents working check-in.

The rooms: not as bad as I'd expected. The beds were firm and the sheets were OK. Room was very clean and the towels were plentiful and nice. We were on the END of the top floor so we had no problems with noise at night. I was really concerned due to the large pack of teenagers roaming the halls when we arrived, but we had no problems.

Waterpark: as many of the reviewers have said...the water is very cold. My 7 year old son came out of the water with blue lips and shivering. I wonder why they don't either raise the water temperature or the ambient temperature to make it more comfortable? The rides were fun, but the lines were long and so you had about 20 minute wait for 30 seconds of fun.

Food: Seriously. Gross. I'd read many of the other reviews so we heeded the advice and steered clear of the $30 breakfast buffet and brought our own cereal and milk. As my husband mentioned, the in-house Starbucks was the highlight of our dining at GWL. The "snack bar" in the waterpark served all sorts of grease-laden crap. Pizza, burger, hotdogs. The line was very long despite all of the food being under a heat lamp. Under their "Healthier Options" I went for the blacked chicken wrap. I guess healthier than a pepperoni pizza and fries, but it was completely inedible. I took about 3 bites and threw it away...huge hunks of dried out, stringy chicken, mayonaise, limp lettuce and cheese. Not appetizing whatsoever. I ordered a PB&J for my son...how wrong could you go with that?! Oh yeah...an off-brand "Uncrustable" on white bread that was somehow dried out within it's package. What a bargain at $5.40!!

We went to the Critter Bar on the 4th floor during a break from Magiquest and ordered a couple of drinks and appetizers...mozzarella sticks and chips w/salsa, guac, and queso. The chips w/salsa and queso came out about 5 minutes before our drinks with the explanation they were making more guac in the back and the bar was backed up. Keep in mind it's 3:30pm and about 60% capacity. Mozzarella sticks never came out and we made sure we weren't charged for them.

We had dinner in downtown Grapevine both nights. Do yourself a favor and venture into that cute little downtown which is only 2.5 miles away.

Magiquest: our son had fun with this and we got our workout going up and down the stairs. A relative bargain at about $30 for the wand and the game.

At $339 a night, you're better off heading down to San Antonio for the JW Marriott or the Hyatt Hill Country. In all, GWL took us for about $1000 with taxes and the little bit of food we did manage to eat there. Not worth it. I'll follow my gut after reading Tripadvisor next time!

Room Tip: Upper floor, end of hall.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the honest review. Your comments have been noted and shared with the team.

In regards to price, we do receive a lot of feedback from guests that they find a stay at Great Wolf to be of value because waterpark passes are include with the stay and you have access to the waterpark from 1pm the day of check in until close the day of check out. I am sorry you felt this was not the case for your stay.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

If you haven't tried this place for the family, you have got to go ASAP! We (husband and 4 kids) have been here many times. The ultimate treat was to spend it for a couple of days to ring in the 2012 New Year! It was decorated with balloons from the ceiling (used as it struck 2012), party activities for all of the kids from snowflake making to a dance area for the teens and parents. You can also never go wrong with the amazing pool and watermark area! It was a great time for everyone. The food was pricy, but we were able to go to the store and bring in some snacks and juice due our mini kitchenette we had in our room. The kids loved their bunk beds with another separate bed and tv -mini sleeping area- the Wolf Den. The front desk was also accommodating.
All in all, we had an awesome time! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Make sure you book in advance. If you don't get to, ask for AAA discount or best rate possible...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!