“Crowded, psuedo-Disney, thank goodness they serve alchohol” 3 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Great Wolf Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Atlanta, Georgia
“Crowded, psuedo-Disney, thank goodness they serve alchohol”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

We visited the Lodge on a Friday and Saturday night in August with 2 kids, age 7 and 8. The hotel is definitely Disney-esque in terms of it's mountain theme, large plastic animals perched here and there on fake scenery, decorative trash cans, etc. When we arrived, it was pouring down rain so we used valet. It is $20 or so, but they were always fast and when it stopped raining it was about 100 degrees so worth every penny to us. The parking lot, like many of them in Texas and suburbia, is huge and sprawling.

The lobby was packed and there was a significant line for check-in. I agree with another post that mentioned the kid and family friendly wrist bands for room entry and charged - we did not even need a locker at the pool, preferring to take a risk with someone stealing our flip flops at the waterpark (they did not). The hotel has a large supply of free luggage carts which is a nice plus if you are carting in a variety of things from the parking lot.

After waiting in line to check in, we headed to the elevator to WAIT IN ANOTHER LINE. There are not nearly enough elevators for a hotel this size, especially considering that you must take an elevator to get to the rooms and the waterpark. It was a disaster - at least 10-15 people in line every time we needed to go up to our room. Once you arrive at your floor, be prepared to make a long trek to your room - the elevators are in the middle of two very long hallways.

We stayed in a wolf den room so our kids had a bunk bed and their own TV. The wall in the wold den has a cute wolf mural on it - the kids thought it was very exciting. Other that that, the room was very much like a holiday inn. It was clean, the bed was fine and they had a coffee maker with cups and fixings.

The arcade, build-a-bear and food court is on the way to the waterpark on the first floor. The entire area is chaotic and crowded. I was so glad I did not purchase the package that gives you the arcade tokens, stuffed wolf, spa stuff, etc. because we hated this part of the hotel. Way too many people. The build a bear place is literally out in the hallway - simply too much going on in too small of a space. When you get to the waterpark, there is a huge bin of thin towels that you can grab on your way in. There was plenty of seating when we were there, despite the crowds. Be prepared to be breathe the sweet smell of chlorine non-stop. You can't escape it. There are two nice restrooms on each end of the waterpark but I am sad to say that the few times I went, I was the only one in there -- making me shudder at where the 500 kids that were in the waterpark were going to the restroom! Yikes! We were in town to visit family so we were only at the park each day from 5 - 9 pm and I have to say, that was plenty of time for my crew. They enjoyed the lazy river, wave pool, and water slides the most. Dad enjoyed the bar at the far end of the park - serving beer, wine and alcohol. After the noise, the chlorine and the exhaustion of trying to keep up with our children, the bar was a welcome sight. Being able to use your wristband to pay made it even better!

Finally, my kids did not do the magic wand search. We were not at the hotel long enough but if we had a full day there, we would have had to get them. It is clearly a retail boon for the hotel and they market it like crazy. There is a tv program that plays on an endless loop that is like an info-mercial for the wands, plus you children see other kids with the wands in the hallways, etc.. Good luck to other parents --I am betting it is hard to escape this purchase.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Thank you for your comments on your recent trip to Great Wolf Lodge. It seem as though your family enjoyed the time they had in the waterpark, which is great. This is definitely the main attraction at our Lodge.

I am sorry to hear about the crowd issue you experienced. Weekends in August are some of our busiest, as you can imagine. For a future trip I would recommend coming during an off peak month or even during the week. It is much less crowded and you can enjoy significant savings over our summer pricing.

Again, I apologize that your stay at Great Wolf Lodge was not 100% positive. I hope that we can make it up to you and your family in the future.

Kind Regards,
Jack Bateman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

This is THE PERFECT getaway for a family with kids of ALL ages!! The staff are the friendliest people I've yet to encounter at any hotel! There is a lot to do here without needing to leave the resort, and most things are pretty affordable.

Be sure to purchase a PAW PASS! It saved me about $50
It includes a:
Memorable Bckpack, T-Shirt, OR pillowcase
Build-a-bear stuffed animal with one outfit
1 scoop of ice cream
1 glitter tattoo
1 Memorable picture in a frame
Magic wand & game activaton (SUPER FUN)
20 tokens to the arcade!!!

Best deal for your little ones and your wallet!!
The waterpark is fun for the whole family, and the rooms themselves are very spacious!!
Loved my vacation! and my child did too!! :D

Murphy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

The waterpark was awesome. We enjoyed all of the indoor and outdoor pools and slides. Our 6-yr old son was too timid to try most of the waterslides (even though there were several he was tall enough to ride), but there was still plenty to keep him busy. And we were impressed with the number of lifeguards on duty at every water feature.

What I didn't expect was how nice the hotel was. Our room was large and immaculate. All hotel staff throughout our stay were extremely friendly and helpful. The entire resort seemed to be very organized and well run.

We also felt we got good value for our money. We only stayed one night and were hesitant to pay peak season rates. But since you can check into the waterpark at 1:00 the day of arrival and continue to access the waterpark until night of the day you checkout (we just put our suitcases in our car while we swam), one night was plenty of swimming. We enjoyed the free storytime at night. The restaurants within the resort are reasonably priced, and since you can take a small cooler (rent a locker for $10/day) into the water area, you don't even have to purchase food & drinks there.

We didn't have time to do the MagicQuest game, which looked awesome. We will definitely return when our son is a little older and able to ride more of the waterslides.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

On the first day of our stay our wristbands initially worked to unlock our door. After a visit to the water park none of our wristbands would unlock our room door. We were wet and with two restless toddlers we were ready to get into our room.

We paid a visit to the front desk and informed them of the problem. The lady checked our wristbands and said they were fine. We then received a lesson on holding the wristband near the sensor to unlock the door. I told the clerk we had tried the wristbands every way possible and I believed there was an issue with the door. The clerk told me to try the wristbands again and if there was still an issue to give the front desk a call. I told the clerk our cell phones were locked in our room and she just stared at me.

My wife and I along with our two girls made the journey back to our room. We were still wet and miserable. We again checked our wristbands multiple times but could not get into our room. I found a phone and called the front desk. I received another lesson on holding my wristband near the sensor to unlock the door. The clerk said she did not know what could be wrong and if I wanted she would send someone to check it out. The clerk spoke to me as if I was just another country bumpkin who couldn't comprehend their advanced wristband/door lock technology.

The maintenance man arrived and I received another lesson on using the wristband. The maintenance man soon found out he couldn't get in using his card either. Eventually we got in and had the maintenance man in our room for another 45 minutes taking apart the door.

We rushed to get into dry clothes but still missed story time for the kids. We never received an apology. When I made a complaint to the front desk I was told this always happens and still didn't receive an apology.

We are still debating on returning next year because we heard from other guests that the kids love storytime and the other night time activities.

• Stayed August 2011
I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced with your wristband and the subsequent guest service you received. I will share your issues with the Director of Guest Services to work to improve the response to this type of situation. We should have been able to remedy the situation with your wristband much quicker than what actually transpired.

I hope that this incident will not prevent you and your family returning to the Lodge so our team will have an opportunity to show what a true Great Wolf Lodge experience is all about.

Best Wishes,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Primarily, Great Wolf Lodge is a nice hotel with a small indoor/outdoor waterpark. There are several other activities that they offer, at additional cost, mostly for young children - crafts, arcade, Scooops (ice-cream themed) Kid Spa, MagiQuest (lame and expensive) adventure game, build-a-bear-like Great Wolf Lodge character stuffing station. Almost everything costs extra. The one free event, Story Time in the Grand Lobby*, probably wouldn't appeal to kids over the age of six. With prices that almost rival a Disney World vacation, you might expect more.

*Story Time in the Grand Lobby was a Chuck-E-Cheese-style animatronic show followed by a short story told by a Cub Club (craft center) staffer. After the story was the only time the Great Wolf Lodge characters, Wiley and Violet, came out for a photo opportunity with the kids (and to encourage parents to spend more money at the photo center, Cub Club and Scooops).

The hotel room was nice, though we stayed in a better room at the Hilton after leaving Great Wolf Lodge for less than half the price. Our kids, five and six, liked there semi-separate "Wolf Den" room, with happy wolf families painted on the walls and a faux-rock entry.

The waterpark was fun, though we could visit a waterpark with comparable (or even better) slides, pools and play areas much closer to home.

As expected, the food at the Lodge was over-priced. In my opinion, $50 for a buffet breakfast for two adults and two small children is a little expensive. Tasty and convenient, but expensive. Other dining options were similarly over-priced.

Overall, we had a good time. Of course, we haven't received our credit card bill yet.

• Stayed August 2011
Hobbs, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

My husband and I took the grandkids to Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine. Other than having to evacuate the hotel when the fire alarm went off and spend a small fortune on food and activities we had a great time. The food is expensive so make other plans to eat and I suggest Los Amigos only 2 miles down the road. The wands and games were expensive but my babies spent hours entertained so it was worth it. The water park is awesome and other than the strong chlorine they had a good time. We would go back.

Room Tip: Get the cub dens if you have kids.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
I’m glad that you and your grand kids had an amazing experience at Great Wolf Lodge. We strive to provide a fun experience for the whole family, so it is great to hear this.

Because waterpark passes are included with your stay, a two night stay in our lodge is comparable to four single day tickets to a regional theme park or one two-day pass to a popular Orlando attraction. Even though all amenities are not included in the room rate, we hear from our guests that they find a Great Wolf Lodge stay to be a good value. Also, you’ll find great savings in the fall and winter on a lot of our rooms.

We do offer a variety of deals on our website and when you book by phone. These even include meal packages that you can add on to your stay to save some money on your trip. Something to consider for a future trip.

Best Wishes,
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

When we originally booked it was $340 a night. Due to a medical emergency we had to reschedule. The rates had gone up (OF COURSE) to $400. After the daily fees instead of $400 it was $500 per night. JUST LODGING. To eat at the resort was VERY EXPENSIVE. ($16 per person for breakfast and $20 per person for dinner.) 12 chicken wings cost $14 at Pizza Hut in the building. There is a Starbucks too but they don't have food items. Had a 3 and 5 year old in our room. The 3 year old couldn't do much since he was under 42", although it didn't bother him to spend time in the lazy river. The 5 year old could do most of the slides but not all. You must be 48" tall to do all slides. We had a great time but will not be going back. If I'm going to spend that much money I'll go to Disney, thank you.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Kid Camp room. Boys LOVED the bunk beds and their own tv
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
I apologize that you did not find your recent trip to Great Wolf Lodge to be as enjoyable as you expected.

In regards to the issue of price, two night stay in our lodge is comparable to four single day tickets to a regional theme park or one two-day pass to a popular Orlando attraction. Even though all amenities are not included in the room rate, we hear from our guests that they find a Great Wolf Lodge stay to be a good value.

August is a very busy month for us, which causes our room rates to fluctuate based on bookings. For a future trip, I would suggest using our new “Flexible with your dates” feature online to choose a date range that is more economical for your family.

Once again, I apologize and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back in the future.

Jack Bateman

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!