“Customer service needs improvement” 3 of 5 stars

You added Great Wolf Lodge to your Saves list
Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Great Wolf Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
“Customer service needs improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011 via mobile

On the first day of our stay our wristbands initially worked to unlock our door. After a visit to the water park none of our wristbands would unlock our room door. We were wet and with two restless toddlers we were ready to get into our room.

We paid a visit to the front desk and informed them of the problem. The lady checked our wristbands and said they were fine. We then received a lesson on holding the wristband near the sensor to unlock the door. I told the clerk we had tried the wristbands every way possible and I believed there was an issue with the door. The clerk told me to try the wristbands again and if there was still an issue to give the front desk a call. I told the clerk our cell phones were locked in our room and she just stared at me.

My wife and I along with our two girls made the journey back to our room. We were still wet and miserable. We again checked our wristbands multiple times but could not get into our room. I found a phone and called the front desk. I received another lesson on holding my wristband near the sensor to unlock the door. The clerk said she did not know what could be wrong and if I wanted she would send someone to check it out. The clerk spoke to me as if I was just another country bumpkin who couldn't comprehend their advanced wristband/door lock technology.

The maintenance man arrived and I received another lesson on using the wristband. The maintenance man soon found out he couldn't get in using his card either. Eventually we got in and had the maintenance man in our room for another 45 minutes taking apart the door.

We rushed to get into dry clothes but still missed story time for the kids. We never received an apology. When I made a complaint to the front desk I was told this always happens and still didn't receive an apology.

We are still debating on returning next year because we heard from other guests that the kids love storytime and the other night time activities.

• Stayed August 2011
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced with your wristband and the subsequent guest service you received. I will share your issues with the Director of Guest Services to work to improve the response to this type of situation. We should have been able to remedy the situation with your wristband much quicker than what actually transpired.

I hope that this incident will not prevent you and your family returning to the Lodge so our team will have an opportunity to show what a true Great Wolf Lodge experience is all about.

Best Wishes,
Jack Bateman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011 via mobile

Primarily, Great Wolf Lodge is a nice hotel with a small indoor/outdoor waterpark. There are several other activities that they offer, at additional cost, mostly for young children - crafts, arcade, Scooops (ice-cream themed) Kid Spa, MagiQuest (lame and expensive) adventure game, build-a-bear-like Great Wolf Lodge character stuffing station. Almost everything costs extra. The one free event, Story Time in the Grand Lobby*, probably wouldn't appeal to kids over the age of six. With prices that almost rival a Disney World vacation, you might expect more.

*Story Time in the Grand Lobby was a Chuck-E-Cheese-style animatronic show followed by a short story told by a Cub Club (craft center) staffer. After the story was the only time the Great Wolf Lodge characters, Wiley and Violet, came out for a photo opportunity with the kids (and to encourage parents to spend more money at the photo center, Cub Club and Scooops).

The hotel room was nice, though we stayed in a better room at the Hilton after leaving Great Wolf Lodge for less than half the price. Our kids, five and six, liked there semi-separate "Wolf Den" room, with happy wolf families painted on the walls and a faux-rock entry.

The waterpark was fun, though we could visit a waterpark with comparable (or even better) slides, pools and play areas much closer to home.

As expected, the food at the Lodge was over-priced. In my opinion, $50 for a buffet breakfast for two adults and two small children is a little expensive. Tasty and convenient, but expensive. Other dining options were similarly over-priced.

Overall, we had a good time. Of course, we haven't received our credit card bill yet.

• Stayed August 2011
Hobbs, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

My husband and I took the grandkids to Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine. Other than having to evacuate the hotel when the fire alarm went off and spend a small fortune on food and activities we had a great time. The food is expensive so make other plans to eat and I suggest Los Amigos only 2 miles down the road. The wands and games were expensive but my babies spent hours entertained so it was worth it. The water park is awesome and other than the strong chlorine they had a good time. We would go back.

Room Tip: Get the cub dens if you have kids.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
I’m glad that you and your grand kids had an amazing experience at Great Wolf Lodge. We strive to provide a fun experience for the whole family, so it is great to hear this.

Because waterpark passes are included with your stay, a two night stay in our lodge is comparable to four single day tickets to a regional theme park or one two-day pass to a popular Orlando attraction. Even though all amenities are not included in the room rate, we hear from our guests that they find a Great Wolf Lodge stay to be a good value. Also, you’ll find great savings in the fall and winter on a lot of our rooms.

We do offer a variety of deals on our website and when you book by phone. These even include meal packages that you can add on to your stay to save some money on your trip. Something to consider for a future trip.

Best Wishes,
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

When we originally booked it was $340 a night. Due to a medical emergency we had to reschedule. The rates had gone up (OF COURSE) to $400. After the daily fees instead of $400 it was $500 per night. JUST LODGING. To eat at the resort was VERY EXPENSIVE. ($16 per person for breakfast and $20 per person for dinner.) 12 chicken wings cost $14 at Pizza Hut in the building. There is a Starbucks too but they don't have food items. Had a 3 and 5 year old in our room. The 3 year old couldn't do much since he was under 42", although it didn't bother him to spend time in the lazy river. The 5 year old could do most of the slides but not all. You must be 48" tall to do all slides. We had a great time but will not be going back. If I'm going to spend that much money I'll go to Disney, thank you.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Kid Camp room. Boys LOVED the bunk beds and their own tv
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
I apologize that you did not find your recent trip to Great Wolf Lodge to be as enjoyable as you expected.

In regards to the issue of price, two night stay in our lodge is comparable to four single day tickets to a regional theme park or one two-day pass to a popular Orlando attraction. Even though all amenities are not included in the room rate, we hear from our guests that they find a Great Wolf Lodge stay to be a good value.

August is a very busy month for us, which causes our room rates to fluctuate based on bookings. For a future trip, I would suggest using our new “Flexible with your dates” feature online to choose a date range that is more economical for your family.

Once again, I apologize and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I took 5 10 year olds there, and stayed on a room advertised as holding 4-6 people. At most, it would be crowded at four. The bathroom is so tiny the sink is in a corner of the room. EVERYTHING costs money. We were allowed to bring food, but not into the swimming area, which is the main attraction. 6 drinks cost $24 . Be careful when booking a room, an extra swimmer costs $40. The magic quest is a fun game but expensive as well at $30 a wand. It seems like all the kids love the swimming, but the level of chlorine is so high it stings your eyes just walking I'm the pool area. The beds are uncomfortable. The kids had a great time, but prepare to spend about 50-100$ extra per person.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments regarding your family’s recent stay.

In regards to the issue of price, a two night stay in our lodge is comparable to four single day tickets to a regional theme park or one two-day pass to a popular Orlando attraction. Even though all amenities are not included in the room rate, we do hear from our guests that they find a Great Wolf Lodge stay to be a good value.

For a future stay, you can consider the monthly deals we update on our website. You can also sign up for the ePack to receive limited time offers and the latest on our deals. We also offer a new “Flexible with your dates” feature on our site that lets you choose a variety of dates to find the most economical option for your family.

I hope to be able to welcome your family back to Great Wolf in the future.

Kind Regards,
Midland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

The kids and I met my Mom, thier grandmother, there for 4 nights 5 days. It was a wonderful get away for all of us and Grandma got to love on the kids and they got to play and have a good time also. The children are ages 12, 11 and 7 and there was truly something for each of them....

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

What can I say...most reviews set my expectations so low that I had to give it 5 stars for exceeding my expectations and more! My 8 & 5 year old girls had a blast and my husband and I enjoyed watching them have the time of their life. We live just 30 minutes from Grapevine, but my kids have been begging to go all summer. So we thought it would be a great way to end the summer and beat the heat.
We stayed two nights but could have stayed 3. The Kids Cabin room with bunks for the kids was great! The queen bed was a little hard, but we were so tired from all the fun it didn't matter. The pillows were extra fluffy as were the bath towels.
Knowing it would be expensive to eat at the restaurants, we brought our own drinks, snacks, food for breakfast and lunches and totally used the fridge and microwave in the room. For dinner, we went to Palio's Pizza (down the street to the left next to Starbucks) and Fudruckers Hamburgers (down a few blocks to the right).
We purchased one Paw Pass for $60 that our two kids shared. My 8 year old was into the MagiQuest game big time and my 5 year old loved the time in the craft room, build a wolf and glitter tattoo. They shared the game room tokens and we purchased an extra ice cream treat. It was worth the $60 for the pass.
We all had so much fun and I'm sure we'll be going back again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms far away from elevators (MagiQuest game is played near elevators on all floors until...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!