“A lot of fun, but too expensive.” 4 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Great Wolf Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“A lot of fun, but too expensive.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

We traveled in "off times" Sun& Mon to avoid crowds. They opened the outdoor area Sunday when it was 80 outside but wouldn't open it Monday when it was 95 out because there wasn't enough staff. other than that traveling in the "off period" was perfect. No lines for any of the slides or restaurants :)

I felt it's a bit overpriced, I can get 3 season passes at the local waterpark for the cost of one night at GWL in the off season. Add about 15% to the quoted rates on the website for fees/taxes, a $200/night room ends up being $465 for 2 nights.

Room Tip: Go off peak to reduce rates and wait times.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Euless, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Rooms were clean, decent. We actually got a good nights rest. The beds & food was fine in our opinion. Not wonderful, but not bad. Our favorite was the freshly cooked/made to order omlettes for breakfast. Hotel stay price wasn't worth the cost ($320 per night) but tolerable I guess if you do the math on going to Hurricane Habor (not that it's really comperable, but sort of) plus getting a hotel nearby...
Parking was not easy. No one to help bring in bags.
This is a place mainly for kids to enjoy. There's not much they can do about the overcrowded indoor waterpark - a design flaw and lack of adequate space I guess.
The part that bothered me is the indoor & outdoor waterpark areas is the "draw" here, so why not make sure both are warm?! The indoor area's water was cold and the outside area's water even colder. They claim both are heated, but you can't tell. Also, they need to use a salt water filtration system or do something to ventilate out all the chlorine that lingers in the air. If you are chemically sensitive &/or have asthma, be forwarned!
It was ENTIRELY too cold for me to even get in the water, and I had a chlorine smell in my nostrils & lungs for a good while even after we left. My husband did also. Besides these areas of improvement that are needed, overall it was a great time. My 4 1/2 yr. old LOVED it.

Lawton, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

The room, facility, and food were excellant. However there websight states that the prices are with in reasion and in fact its more expencive than Walt Disney World. They say its also toddler friendly its not they have a kiddy pool that only toddlers are aloud to go in and the life guards are suposed to stop older and bigger kids from entering. They did not. my daughter not evean two years old was sprayed trumbled over by teens entering the kiddy pool and i was exactly one foot from her. I complained to the staff and nothing was done there parents gave me a complete attitude when i confronted them. I went to the general maniger and the front desk staff wouldnt get her or give me an email address or phone number. children also have free range of the hotel and most are not supervised ad they are up all night running around because of this magic quest game. I reccmended the add aditional security and camras in the hall ways because there is nothing stoping a preditor from grabing your child. I would say I will never go there again...

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
We are glad you enjoyed your room and food during your stay at Great Wolf Lodge. However, we are sorry to hear about the poor experience in the waterpark for your toddler. Because of your comments, we are working with the resort Aquatics Team to provide more supervision in the toddler area of the waterpark.

Regarding MagiQuest, the safety and security of our guests is our top priority. The game is designed for families to enjoy together. We apologize for the disappointment during your recent stay and hope to make it up during your next stay.

Best,
Jack Bateman, General Manager
Grand Prairie, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

We stayed here over Christmas 2010 with our 10 year old daughter who had been begging to do a "stay-cation". The hotel is beautiful, one cannot tell a lie. Once you get past that, there are many things that are not up to par. The water park is the main attraction and is much smaller than I thought it would be. They advertise it to be a "balmy 84 degrees" no matter the time of year. I would have guessed the air and water temp to be around low 70's, it was almost unbearably cold. It definitely was not comfortable and severely limited our time in the water park.

The room was nice for a family resort. However the beds, both bunk and adult were so hard, my neck and back wasn't right for 3 days after our stay. Another oddity is that if you are sensitive to fragrance, be aware that the entire hotel is scented with vanilla.

The highlight of the stay was the Magi-Quest game. DD loved the game, and had a blast with that.

I would say that the resort is over-rated and I won't be returning.

Room Tip: Sign up online and watch for e-codes for discount.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

The waterpark facility iteself met our expectations, but the service was seriously lacking. From rude check-in staff who informed us at 4pm on the day of check-in that they had "no idea" when our room would be ready, to the dozens of bored and disgruntled looking teenagers who run the waterpark area, we encountered a lot of attitude. We were also disappointed in "rules" the park enforces that make it difficult to enjoy a stay with a young child:
1) Despite the fact that food is sold in the waterpark area (from an A&W food stand), we weren't allowed to bring more approporiate snacks for our 2.5 year old and were sent away when we tried to enter with healthier snacks and a juice box for our son.
2) They would not allow a parent to accompany a child on any water slide, despite the fact that the web site listed several slides as "Kids under 42" allowed if accompanied by an adult". This really limited how much of the park we could use, since our son was hesitant to go down a slide alone. The little kids splash area was fine, but not much nicer than our local athletic center that charges $6/day.
3) We purposefully chose a random Sunday/Monday to avoid the crowds, and were pleased that the lines didn't appear to be long. But the short lines turned out to be deceiving - with only 8 people in front of us we waited 25 minutes, and lines seemed to completely stall at times with no one going down.
I really wanted to love this place...but I didn't.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011 via mobile

I don't understand all the bad reviews I read before we stayed here! The food we had (breakfast) was good. We bought the vreakfar package to save a little money. $30 I a lot for breakfast, but that is with any hotel. We stayed in Sunday and Monday night and it was perfect....no lines, no waiting. there were something like 500 people checking out when we checked in but the lines moved very quickly and check in only took us about 20 minutes. We will go back!

• Stayed April 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Pros: Nice, clean hotel. Felt safe with kids doing their own thing in the water park. Great staff. I felt they went out of their way for customer service.
Cons: Beds are awful, no, really... awful. My son even complained about the beds in the cabin. $280 per night should net decent beds... not a small (full sized?) 'U' shaped back breaker. Room doors need dampeners to quiet their closing - you hear every door shut (read 'slam') all day/night.
Additional: We knew the food was expensive for the quality.... so, we planned on eating elsewhere from the beginning.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!