“The Only Disappointing Winery That I Have Visited” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 52 things to do in Grapevine
Pilot Point, Texas
17 attraction reviews
“The Only Disappointing Winery That I Have Visited”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

La Buena Vida Vineyards is one of Texas' oldest wineries. Years ago, it was sold by the Godfather of Wine in Texas, Dr Bobby Smith, to a new owner. The new owner however doesn't share the same penchant for Texas wine as Dr Smith. Before the tasting, I wondered around the tasting room only to find the vast majority of wines for sale to be wines outside of the United States. Was I in Europe, or was I in Grapevine, Texas? After sitting down at the wine tasting bar I noticed that all of the employees were more concerned about watching television than attending to guests at the wine tasting bar. Guests were getting a little ticked off. As I started to get up to leave, an employee stopped watching television and came over to introduce himself. His English was poor, his accent heavy. I asked about the vast majority of the wines on display being from outside of the United States. He explained that the owner had not fared well in the business, and that the winery would soon be a restaurant that served wines. He also said that the owner had not learned the wine making business and was more content on selling wines outside the United States rather than Texas wines. I was shocked. I asked if there were any Texas wines to taste. I was told yes, but that none of the wines were being made by La Buena Vida Vineyards. His heavy accent and poor English made the tasting experience poor at best. I wondered why someone that had poor English skills was in customer service. Of the few wines tasted, one was absolutely amazing. A white merlot made by Dr Bobby Smith of Springtown Winery, imagine that! It had a fragrant nose, a beautiful color, and a start and finish like no white merlot that I had ever tasted. The Godfather of Wine, Dr Bobby Smith is still the guru of Texas wine. I walked out with a case of Springtown Winery's white merlot, still shocked that the vineyard that started it all is leaving Texas wines in favor of wines outside the United States......I won't be back, but I will be forever thankful to Dr Smith, the Godfather of Texas wine for his ability to turn out great wines for all of these years,,,,

Visited February 2013

Cache, OK
19 attraction reviews
“We always enjoy La Buena Vida”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

When the weather is not-too-hot and not-too-cool it's always an enjoyable afternoon at LBV. My only comment is they don't offer enough TX wines. However, the price for a flight and a cheese and crackers tray is very reasonable, and the wines are always first-rate. Also, the outdoor musicians are very appropriate for the venue and add to the relaxing time there.

Visited February 2013
Ionia, Michigan
28 attraction reviews
“Excellent Activity and Full of Info”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were able to receive an excellent education on wine from the "wineologist"! He was so patient with us and really schooled us on the facts about wines (colors, strengths, scents, proper tasting techniques, ingredients, etc). This is such an adorable spot (inside and out). We started out inside and had to go out and enjoy the patio, sun and fountains. There was also a birthday surprise! Thanks to the staff for an awesome outing - so glad we chose this winery as our first - hard to beat the service and overall experience anywhere else and we stopped trying...

Visited November 2012
Lake Charles, Louisiana
7 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Patio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We visited La Buena Vida on the Hallowine Tour in October. The staff were friendly. We enjoyed listening to the live entertainment on the patio. It was a beautiful day to be outside and enjoy the atmosphere. A MUST SEE!

Visited October 2012
Orlando, Florida
12 attraction reviews
“Great winery to visit in Grapevine!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our first stop was our most impressive. Chad the wine expert gave us a great tour of the wine list and also delivered great advice on what to taste! You wont believe the prices!

Visited September 2012