“Notice for people with young kids” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Grapevine
Houston
“Notice for people with young kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

Let me start with the positive. The Santa was the best ever. My children were so tired after standing in line for an hour that my baby was screaming and the Santa was lovely and looked amazing. On the negative we oozed money trying to entertain our children. We knew that going into it so no complaints, but anyone thinking that they are going to find a way not make it out of there without shelling out a ton of money...good luck. We paid over a hundred dollars for breakfast with Charlie Brown, saw Charlie Brown for two seconds and then the baby and toddler freaked out in fear of him. The eggs had to be powdered although there was a chocolate fondue that was wonderful. The breakfast was definitely not worth that kind of money. The ice was great...costly, but my kids had a great time. If your children are young it is a TON of work for you, but my 6 year old had a blast (he is very independent). You can go through as much as you want, but I would recommend going early before the crowds come then there are no lines. Our biggest problem at the Gaylord was actually at check in. We knew we were going to be getting in late and called to make sure there would be two cribs available. They said no problem. We checked in at 11pm with very tired children. The lady at they desk promised the beds were on their way up. At 12 still no beds. I called down and they said beds were on their way. Still nothing. 1am I was told that three people were ahead of me. Two hours after check in with young children and no beds and I had three people in front of me. I waited all night and kept checking outside to see if they were there, nothing. I called in the morning and complained and was told that they were afraid that someone would steal the crib and would not leave it. It is a crib...NOT A PACK AND PLAY. I personally think that they were holding out for a tip. I told them that I could not keep calling because everytime I moved or called the kids woke up. I was extremely sleep deprived. The next night there was a wedding under our window. In days past blaring music at 10pm would not bother me, but my kids go to sleep at 730, and it was way too loud to sleep. We called down and asked them if there was anything they could do. They said no, but they were required to bring the music down at 10pm. On the plus side there is a quieter area of the hotel, not as fun or cool to look at from your room, but evidently not as noisy.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
  • Polish first
Bellingham, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Where shall I begin?? I guess you should know that we began staying at the Gaylord when it first opened a few years ago. Sure, it was pricey, but the LEVEL of service, food, atmosphere, and clientele were different...even as recent as 2 years ago. FYI- we also stayed at the Gaylord for TX-OU weekends in the past. So our experience with the Gaylord can be quantified precisely.

As it was Thanksgiving and the Gaylord does a great job of creating a wonderful feeling of Christmas, along with the ICE exhibit, we chose to reserve a couple of rooms for us, along with our family, to enjoy. HOWEVER, for the first time since our initial and past forays to the Gaylord, we couldn't get into our rooms until 4pm (check in is at 3pm). Mind you, the only reason we were given rooms is because we kept stopping by the front desk every 20 minutes after 3pm to check on room status.

Additionally, this was the first time that we did NOT receive ANYTHING we requested:

Instead, we received the exact opposite:

WE REQUESTED:
1) Rooms AWAY from elevator
WHAT WE RECEIVED:
Rooms directly across from the elevator

WHAT WE REQUESTED:
2) Adjoining rooms w/ 2 Queen beds.
WHAT WE RECEIVED:
NON-adjoining rooms
One Room with 2 queens
One Room with a King. We were brought an extra cot, after waiting in the room for over 1 hour for it.

3) Both rooms were in poor shape....wall paper peeling off walls in bathroom, single serve coffee maker didn't work and we didn't have any cream or sugar.

YET, the icing on the cake was the complete LACK of service from The Gaylord Texan in regards to dinner opportunities over our stay.

Thanksgiving evening, we couldn't eat dinner at ANY of the restaurants as there was a 2 hour wait or longer w/o reservations. Just to give you an idea of the timeline, we stopped at the Italian restaurant first around 6:30pm. From there, we checked in at The Riverwalk Cafe and were told it would be 2.5 hours before we could be seated. We tried to Texas Station, and were told it would be 3 hours.

After 9:45pm, we were told seating for dinner was closed as the restaurants closed at 10pm. What was most irritating was the obvious fact that each restaurant was only using about 25 - 35% of available seating. The rest of the tables and sections were "Closed".

Our only option was to have room service, which we ordered, but were advised that the wait would be longer than 90 minutes.

Without any other options, as it was Thanksgiving, we had to wait for room service. When the meal came, all of our orders were HORRIBLE !! The kids burgers were bordering on burned and terribly dry, those who ordered onion rings were given fries...and forget about calling room service to fix it. They NEVER answered the phone. I had to call the front desk, which was NEVER answered either. Then I called the concierge for help. She asked room service to return my call. They called back, an hour and a half later.

The following morning, my husband called (7:45 am) to to make reservations for breakfast at any of the restaurants and were given what seemed a scripted response: Sorry, we don't take reservations but we'll be happy to seat your party when you come down.

Yet when we went down to each restaurant, we were told they were closed for breakfast and wouldn't open until lunch...This happened at 9:30am.

What was most enfuriating, was the fact that people coming in AFTER us were being seated immediately. My sister inquired as to the discrepancy, and she was told they were seated because THEY HAD RESERVATIONS.

We were completely outraged as my husband had been told earlier that morning that Reservations were not taken at any Gaylord restaurants, other than the Steakhouse. Then, the staff said, "Well, reservations are only accepted with a minimum of 7 days advance notice".

So many people, in addition to our group of 8, had that helpless and frustrated look on their faces.

As a native Dallas-ite who began visiting the Gaylord when it first opened, we can definitely say with supreme confidence that the quality of services offered at the Gaylord Texan has deteriorated significantly.

What is ironic or curious to note is that when we used our AAA Texas cards (in the past), we were always given fabulous rooms and great service abounded throughout the resort. Yet, we used a AAA Washington card, as we relocated a year ago to Washington state, and everything from the room, to the service, to the ice exhibit crowd control, was substandard.

Perhaps it's the weak economy coupled with a lack of qualified management/ employees/staffing that has turned the Gaylord into nothing more than Six Flags Over Texas on bring-a-coke-can-and-get-in-for-five-dollars-night (even though we spent well over $1,500 for a one night stay, including rooms, ICE fees, parking, lunch and room service).

Sadly, the caliber of this hotel has been compromised, is horrible, and exists only to get money out of your pocket without providing fundamental services to visitors. FYI - the crowd that is staying at the Gaylord is pretty rough now as well.

Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
, Manager at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 10, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experiences from your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on providing the highest level of customer service, facilities and Special Events for our guests, and this not the type of experience that our guests have come to expect at the Gaylord Texan. Given the numerous items during your stay that you did not feel were satisfactory, we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you personally. Please feel free to contact our hotel directly at VoiceOfTheCustomer@GaylordHotels.com, and we will be happy to address your individual issues with you directly.

Gaylord Hotels.
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

I traveled 5 HOURS (ONE WAY) to take my daughter and grandson to "ICE" on 11/21 only to find out once we got there that they had closed it that day and they were not sure when it would be open again in the future. There was no offer of free return tickets - and yes, I had to ask and was denied. They refunded my ticket price and when I asked for tickets to a future date, they said I could buy them. After spending several hundred dollars for the trip, I was appalled at their abject insensitivity which was communicated by the by the Hotel Director, Sherri Wright. When I asked what goodwill measure she was prepared to offer, she said "nothing."

Seems Gaylord's CEO learned absolutely nothing on her stint on "Undercover Boss" where she promised more customer service. The check-in/check-out line was 17 people deep. Wasn't that one of the things that was also going to improve?

CHARLINDA HEBERT

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Please accept our sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced while trying to attend ICE! on Sunday, 11/21. While we were hopeful that we would be able to address the mechanical issues that forced the closure of the event in a timely fashion, we realized that this would not be the case late in the morning, and unfortunately had to close the event for the day to allow us to fully correct the problem, and alleviate any safety issues that might have occurred. While ticket sales for ICE! were closed, both on our website and over the phone, and we did attempt to contact anyone who had purchased tickets in advance, we did experience a delay in getting the closure information on the website for those people that were planning on attending ICE!, but had not purchased tickets in advance. I hope that your family was able to enjoy some of the other attractions at the property that were not affected by the ICE! closure such as Yourself as an Elf, breakfast with Charlie Brown, Rudolph’s Reindeer Roundup and Gingerbread Corner.
Please feel free to contact us directly at VoiceOfTheCustomer@GaylordHotels.com,and we will be happy to address your individual issues with you directly.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

Wow - this place was SO HUGE that we were constantly lost but didn't seem to mind as we were on business and hey, missing another sales meetings isn't all that bad now is it? (shhhh) Seriously though, so much to do and see all under one roof and could NOT BELIEVE the tropical plants indoors!!! The restaurants were great and the meeting spaces accommodated groups of all sizes. Thouroughly enjoyed our stay there!!! Highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Hurst, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

Went there to see ICE and have a nice romatice dinner with Husband at Old Hickory Steakhouse. The dinner was great kind of skimmpy on the wine servings. The hotel room was bare bones, no mini bar or snacks. The bed was rock hard and the pillows are like ceral boxes. There is a blinking light for the fire alarm over the right side of the bed that kept me up all night. Walls are paper thin and if someone shut a door down the hall you can hear it. The shower/tub was ok if your 12 feet tall and can reach to adjust the shower head. The Ice show exhibit was neat but there were so many logistic errors of not flushing the crowd before out the next crowd got in that it became a crowded nightmare of people stoping every 5 feet to take 9 million pictures! They should just ban cameras or camera phones and it would slove the problem of traffic. Skip the christmas decorations. Its not worth the hassel of the crowds.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 3, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experiences from your recent stay with us. We pride outselves on providing the highest level of customer service, facilities and Special Events for our guests, and this not the type of experience that our guests have come to expect at the Gaylord Texan. Please feel free to contact our hotel directly at VoiceOfTheCustomer@GaylordHotels.com, and we will be happy to address your individual issues with you directly.

Gaylord Hotels.
Waynesville, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

If you haven't been to the ICE exhibit at the Gaylord, then you are missing a treat. It is a wonderful way to start the holiday with the family. Though a little pricey, the exhibit is awesome. Skip the added activities they are not worth the money for the experience. The atmosphere of the hotel help foster the Christmas spirit (especially after dusk). Don't forget to go downtown and see the holiday displays as well. Makes a great day trip. You can even go shopping at the outlets while there.

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

We stayed at the Gaylord Texan over Thanksgiving, when we came down to the football game. The hotel was part of the package that my wife won, and it is not a bad place.

The front desk staff was very helpful, the young lady who checked us in was fantastic. The room we had was relatively quiet, but there is little soundproofing in the walls. In spite of what others have said, the bed was very comfortable. The room was clean, with plenty of towels in the bath, and I had no complaints about the housekeeping staff.

The hotel itself is very nice, and we had an interior facing room on the 5th floor. The wireless internet worked well, occasionally dropping out but that is to be expected.

Now for the bad news.

The prices here are high. . The hotel is located away from everything, especially if you do not have a vehicle, and they take advantage of that A hotel shuttle ride into town is $12 each way, there is a shuttle bus that apparently runs through Grapevine, but no one at the hotel was able (or willing) to give any information about that service. Parking is $15 per day (more for valet) which is higher than you would pay in most downtown areas, and this hotel is no where near downtown.

The hotel was beautiful, with great Christmas decorations, but you get the feeling that everything is designed to make you spend money. It is almost like a Vegas hotel, but without the gambling.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!