“Great conference destination” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 20% thru 5/3!
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Hillsborough, NC
“Great conference destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

I did not have high hopes when I left for my trip due to some reviews here, but I came back to post because I really enjoyed my conference!
The food was amazing! A little pricey, but appropriate and quite memorable. Restaurant staff and bar tenders were all very friendly and I had excellent service and food in Ama Lur and the Riverwalk Cafe. Didn't have a good waitress in the sports bar at lunch one day, but the chicken caesar salad was one of the best I've ever had.

The bed was quite comfortable. Showers don't have a lot of pressure but were perfectly adequate. I could hear a woman sneezing just a few times in the next room, but otherwise it was very quiet. I was on the ground floor on the west side of the resort - very convenient to the conference. Not far from the lobby.

Service was great. I used the Consider It Done button on the phone when I arrived to find feather pillows which I'm allergic to. They promptly brought different soft, foam pillows.
I enjoyed the pool and steam room one morning and got ready in the spa area which is part of your resort fee. The locker room is strangely in view of the spa waiting area where people are dressed which was a bit odd. And you have to go out in a public area just slightly from the pool to get back to the lockers.
The conference facilities were nice - not too cold like many are. They are a bit of a long walk from the main hotel but that gave me a chance to stretch my legs at times.
Other than for a conference or for an event in the area, I wouldn't think of it as a destination by itself, but I really enjoyed walking around the courtyard and enjoyed the entertainers there also.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Polish first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

If you go to the gaylord texan website and looked at all the images and videos. ITS EXACTLY WHAT ITS LIKE WHEN YOU GET THERE. It's like a dream paradise come true, the rooms are cleaned every day by cleaning EXPERTS. THEY MADE MY BED. THEY MY BED!!! They have cable so it feels like home, and the hospitality is almost as if you were dreaming, everybody's so happy, even the other guests will say hi to you. They have rivers and plants INSIDE the hotel, and...a warm indoor pool that I swam in every day I was there, and it was never full of more than 2 or 3 people. Go to this hotel, it cannot fail you.

The prices are affordable but the food is expensive, BUT TASTE GOOD, but the food is expensive nonetheless.

Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

It boggles my mind why anybody would stay at a Gaylord hotel unless they were absolutely forced to. As I have also stayed at the one in Orlando and the behemoth bizarro world they call a hotel in Nashville, the one in Texas is par for the course. It's a huge hotel with an over the top atrium concept and lots of eye candy to impress tourists and travelers from small towns. But nobody with any concept of luxury would think this is any kind of value at the outrageous prices they charge for loud, tiny rooms uninsulated from the outside (but you have a view of the atrium yee haw!!). I have been forced to stay here several times in the past few years because of a business event that thankfully has run its course and in future years will not return. In fact I had other business to do in the DFW metroplex and booked a hotel room elsewhere to get away from the Gaylord as quickly as a could. My stay on this particular visit was highlighted by smells of smoke in the hallway that maintenance explained was not a fire but just backdraft from their HVAC system picking up smells from outside the hotel (he explained that he was a volunteer firefighter and was concerned it was a first the first time he smelled it to, but has learned in the years he worked there since that the smells of smoke in the hotel were "normal") NICE. Also as the rooms are not sound insulted in any way, the sounds of live music coming from one of the restaurant/bars in the atrium below carried on until past 10pm on a week night -- not a terrible invoncenienve for me but still something that no "luxury resort" hotel should expose any guest to at that hour. The last insurt to the injury of this Gaylord hotel -- the ridiculous mafia-style "resort fee" they tack onto your bill. It provides no service, offers no benefit, but does give the hotel a handy way to squeeze more profit out of the hapless business travelers or dim-witted tourists who stay here.

Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

I felt like I was in Vegas without the gambling. We spent the weekend at the hotel and had a great time. The rooms were not that special (kinda small) but the staff was so nice and friendly. You can spend the whole weekend there without ever leaving. Lots of music and places to hang. The bars had great happy hour specials. The sports bar was fabulous. Best of all were the nice restaurants. The Ama Lur was amazing. On the expensive side, but not unreasonable for the fabulous food. The steakhouse was out of this world. I still think about that meal. I would highly recommend this hotel and its restaurants. All the staff in the restaurants were equally amazing.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

The Gaylord Texan is beautiful and magnificent, especially during the Holiday season. The atrium was adorned with lights and Christmas decor and the conference center had an annual ice sculpture event. Tourists would come just to visit the atrium and ice sculptures. The hotel itself was a grand spectacle filled with shops and restaurants and amenities like a spa and workout room. Our room was clean and cozy and had a balcony overlooking the atrium. It was a wonderful romantic getaway!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

We stayed here for my husband's birthday, and I felt compelled to write. Yikes. First, let me say I don't consider myself or my husband very picky people. We're pretty flexible, content, simple people and it doesn't take much to please us. We stayed here at the beginning of March. I'm not sure where to start. The rooms in this place were so hot that I woke up in pools of sweat every night. The thermostat sat at 75 degrees despite us repetitively adjusting the temperature. The first night, we went to Old Hickory steakhouse and I got the filet only to have me up at 1am with horrible stomach cramps and diahrea (mind you, sweating my tail off all the while, bc the room was so hot). The halls reeked of the chlorine pool regardless of where you were in the hotel. When we booked, we asked for a room with a center atrium view at a higher floor level. Instead, we were put on the 2nd floor and our view was of the back of a tin roof. Talk about feeling claustrophobic in those tiny, pricey, HOT rooms! (I have to say that we called and asked them to switch us upon getting to the room and they did so promptly.). All in all, I would have been perfectly fine with spending more money than normal on a nice place to stay for the weekend, but it just did not live up to anything. I read the reviews before I booked. I wanted so badly for it to be great, so I believed the good reviews and assumed that the negative reviews were just picky people with unrealistic expectations. I should've listened.

• Stayed November 2009
Upstate NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

We found this hotel to be comfortable and quiet. Our first floor room was close to EVERYTHING. We ate at the sportsbar several times and I found the food to be good. The service was very friendly and attentive. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!