“Lone Star Christmas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Flower Mound, Texas
“Lone Star Christmas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

This was the second year our family selected the Gaylord Texan as the get together site for Christmas. The hotel staff are very accommodating and the facilities are excellent. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable, the restaurants were clean and easy to get reservations for and the food was very good. The only detractor was the valet parking (25 per nite). When we stayed, the hotel was hosting the ICE! exhibit and they were doing their Lone Star Christmas display, so the lines to valet and pick up cars was very long (more than 45 minutes on 3 separate occasions).
Overall, this was a very relaxing getaway and we highly recommend seeing it all decorated for Christmas.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
  • Polish first
Boerne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

For a high quality facility, very mediocre staff and service. It started at making a reservation. I requested, twice, an email confirmation. I reserved two rooms, one a suite, the other a regular room, got an email after the second request for the regular room only. Check in was unprofessional. Very busy, crowded, they immediately tried to arrange the rooms so I would pay more money. For the suite, there was a sofa bed. Horrible comfort. When I requested a roll out bed, which they were happy to provide, the person who delivered it merely held out his hand for a tip and made absolutely no effort to set the bed up. Room service was prompt, but merely to drop off the items in time to hold out their hand for a tip. No effort to see if there was anything we needed. The restaurants, average at best. Service at the restaurants, average at best. I expected much more for the price. The sports bar/restaurant had particularly poor service and generic food. Don't bother. Also, they charge an additional $15 a night for the "resort fee". That is crazy! Was supposed to include a daily paper, never got one for the three days. When I mentioned it to the check out staff, they looked at me like I was crazy and knew nothing about it. Then, I had two rooms and one car. They charged valet parking at $24 a day for both rooms. Plus tax! I was hit with $48 a day for parking. They did, after I pointed this out, credit one room's charges. Even then, I think $24 a day for parking is insane! There is lots of land, lots of parking, even inner city hotels with limited parking charge less than $24 a day. But with the "Ice" show traffic and parking I felt obligated to valet. Make sure you double check your bill. The valet service was also so-so at best. The "Ice" show was great, but obviously they only rent the space from the Gaylord as you are given no consideration for the show by staying there. If you are going to the Gaylord for the show, stay down the street at the Hilton and drive to the Gaylord for the show. This place was really busy, but I would not stay there again and recommend you don't either. The rooms are well appointed, but the service leaves much to be desired. If you don't care about service, quality of food, or quality of staff, then stay here. If you do, the Hilton is much better and much better priced.

• Liked — The rooms were well appointed
  • Disliked — Staff and service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

We stayed at The Gaylord for a romantic 40th birthday getaway. What was supposed to be a memorable time sure did turn out that way.

1. Ama Luna- We arrived at the restaurant at 9:30 pm. When we ordered our main course, I ordered the beef tenderloin. My husband ordered the beef skirt steak. The waitress informed my husband that the beef skirt steak became tough when cooked medium well like he requested. He changed his order to the NY strip steak- cooked medium. When our entrees came out, in a timely fashion, they brought out 2 beef tenderloins. The waitress took back one beef tenderloin and left my entree for me to eat. They assured us that is was a mixup in the kitchen and his would be coming out right away. After a few minutes of waiting, I proceeded to eat my meal and completed it. Ten minutes after I had eaten, they brought out my husbands NY strip. The steak was gray colored and rare temp. He sent it back to finish cooking and the waitress returned with his steak in another 10 minutes. He then proceeded to eat alone while I watched. The wairess came up to us and offered an eight dollar dessert for compensation for the mixup on his 45 dollar steak.

2. When we checked in, I asked the registrator if the hospital used feather pillows. She said they did in all the rooms. I asked her to get housekeeping to remove them from our room and change the sheets on our bed. My husband has a severe allergy to bird feathers and just removing them from the bed is not enough- the dander still seeps out of the pillow onto the sheets- hence, the sheets have to be changed. The registrar asked my why didn't we request this when we made the reservation. I explained to her that when we made the reservation, there was no place online to request this. She said it would take about 20 minutes to accomplish this and to wait in the lobby. I told her that we would bring the luggage up to the room, I would place it in the room, and we would walk around the grounds while we waited. This happened at 5:30 pm. At 7 pm, we went up to the room. The sheets still had not been changed and the pillows had not been replaced. I called the front desk to remind them that this change still needed to be done. They stated they would call housekeeping and it would be taken care of. At 9:15, we went back to our room before dinner and found that the pillows and bed linens still had not been changed. We went to the front desk and spoke to the manager on duty, and explained the situation. He apologized and stated they would take care of it. After dinner( 11 pm), we went to our room. The pillows had been rearranged and the sheets had been retucked- so I assumed the pillows and sheets and been changed. At 12:30pm, my husband's nose started to itch and eyes started to water. I took off the pillow protectors and found that all of the pillows where feather pillows. I called down and spoke to the manager , who was still on duty. He came up to the room to get the pillows. He then went to supervise the the housekeeping department to ensure a new room had fresh linens and polyfill pillows. We moved down the hall to a new room at 1:15 am.

This night was my 40th birthday- Gaylord hotel has made it memorable in their treatment of my husband and I on my special night.

• Stayed December 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Austin TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

The Gaylord Texan is known for its holiday lights and decorations. Even if you do not stay a night here, you should at least visit this hotel for your kids will definitely enjoy it. Santa and Mrs. Claus are there along with live reindeer.

As for the stay, we had an upgraded room where we had nicer furniture, larger bathroom, and a view of the outdoor pool. At night the room had noises from the refrigerator and the door vibrating from the air pressure from the hallway. One night our neighbor decides to play “ghetto music” at 1 AM, which woke others and us up too. Security arrived quickly to have them lower the volume. Later they decided to have loud sexual encounters, which again woke us up. Since it was only the both of us in the room we subsist though it, however I knew small children were staying in guest rooms near them and their parents were probably not happy about the situation.

Otherwise the room was fine and the cleaning staff was excellent. It had a small refrigerator to use, WiFi in the room, and a CRT television.

The food prices are typical resort level and the mixed drinks were a bit light of alcohol level. The restaurants were packed, but if you do not have any children then you will have better luck eating at the bar.

The staff was excellent. The valet service had a problem getting everyone’s vehicle during room checkouts. We decide not to wait 30 min and get out our own car.

Another problem, you have to walk though the atrium with your luggage and with all the people looking the holiday decorations instead of walking through hallways. So be careful to pack good or else your personal undergarments may fallout and everyone will look at you.

Next year, we may try staying at the Great Wolf Lodge (across from the Gaylord) if we are in the Dallas area.

• Liked — holiday lights and decorations
  • Disliked — crowded
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

Enjoyed the stay along with the Christmas theme, but I will agree with others, that the hidden fees were a total ripoff. There was more parking available by the front entrance of the hotel than apparently most realized. We had a walking distance of less than 200 feet to the front door. After arriving there we took the shuttle instead of driving because of traffic. It took the shuttle 30-45 minutes to cover approximately 2 miles for the 7:15 stop and the driver knew a back way in. The time was less during the day, but after 5:00 p.m. it was bumper to bumper, because of people attending the Ice display at the hotel. The hotel is not in a very good location if you are wanting to see the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, but an excellent choice if you just want to relax for a couple days and don't plan to visit the sites.

• Liked — The atmosphere
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

This Gaylord facility, like others I've been at, follows the theme of having everything under one roof, a great part of the roof being glass (as one friend said, it's like you're in a giant terrarium). The hotel is fairly near the airport but not near anything else. You're not in Dallas, and you're not in Fort Worth. You're not even near other things you could walk to (the hotel provides periodic shuttle service to Grapevine and to a mall), so to a great extent, you're stuck on the premises, confined to their facilities, shops, restaurants, etc. (and since it was December, we all got to hear constant Christmas music piped in over the hidden speakers--sorry to be a grinch, but it did get to be a bit much after a while). You also have to pay a $10/day "resort fee," which is just a way of jacking up the price. With the "fee," you're supposed to get a daily newspaper, but the hotel ran out, and they didn't feel like running out and getting newpapers for their guests. You also get use of an exercise room, which is ok, but nothing fancy, given the size of the hotel. The rooms are basic, standard rooms, with very thin walls. The shower had very poor water pressure, and two attempts to get it fixed were unsuccessful (my guess is that they have installed water restrictors in the showerhead, and maybe have gone overboard). But I shouldn't complain about that, since one day there was not even hot water in the shower.

Unless you go for the whole terrarium effect and enjoy being isolated, you probably can find equivalent facilities for a much more modest price elsewhere.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Isolation, not near anything.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

The hotel is very beautiful, but the rooms are average. It is very spread-out, so be prepared to do a LOT of walking. The reason I will not stay there again are the ridiculous "resort fee" and self-parking charges. I would much rather they just charged a little more for the room and not spring these charges on you as a surprise. The wait to valet park is insane - there were forty or so cars when we were there, the self-parking was blocked off, etc. It took forever to get settled in - a major hassle that you would not expect from a supposedly upscale hotel. The charge to use the ATM was even crazy. The staff is very nice, but even good customer service cannot override the ill will created by the exorbitant fees and terrible parking situation.

On our next visit, I will be staying at the Four Seasons or possibly downtown - the Crescent, etc. You get a beautiful room, lovely service, and no hassles with parking. You'll pay quite a bit for it, but you will not leave annoyed and feeling taken advantage of the way you do with the Gaylord.

• Liked — The hotel was very beautiful
  • Disliked — The unexpected fees, parking fees, and the overall hassle of staying there
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!