“A kid friendly hotel that is best suited for adults” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 NIGHTLY RESORT CREDIT
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Clearwater, Florida
“A kid friendly hotel that is best suited for adults”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My son and I joined my best friend and her family for a weekend getaway at the Gaylord Texan. For the most part, we had a great time but I think that this hotel caters more to adults than it does to children. There were 2 pools and one waterpark. All of which had freezing cold water at the end of July. Personally, I think pools while vacationing are more enjoyable when they are heated (even if only slightly). Although the waterpark is a great idea, I think it needs to be expanded. The lazy river was so packed full of people that there was a constant traffic jam that made the experience less enjoyable than lazy rivers I've been in at other resorts. There was only one waterslide and the zipline was too short. There was not enough wait staff for the number of people that were at the park and we found ourselves waiting a long time to get service. The DJ played great music for all ages and keep the crowd involved with trivia and games throughout the day. I think more activities (like miniature golf, bocce tournaments, etc.) would help keep the kids busy when they got bored with the slide. We ate at the Sports Bar which was very comfortable and inviting. It had good burgers and lots of TV's. The Italian restaurant (Zeppoles) was fantastic!! Not one person in our group was disappointed with their meal or the service. The drinks and food choices were a bit high priced. I suggest taking your own cooler of food and drink to enjoy in your room or at the pool in between your big meals. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were very clean. The staff was always friendly and accommodating. The adults could have stayed and enjoyed the resort for the week but the kids were ready to go home after only 2 days. If you are looking for a place to visit with your significant other, the Gaylord is definitely the place to go but if you want your kids to have a fun filled vacation, you might want to look into the waterpark resort directly across the street.

Room Tip: We stayed in an atrium view room and it was very nice to be able to sit on our balcony and watch the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (828)
  • Polish first
Castle Rock, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This resort was comparable to a night in the best entertainment plaza throughout the United States! I had booked this resort to celebrate my son's 13th birthday. Without referencing the property, I haphazardly, took my chances from only viewing the photos from a hotel website. Upon arrival, the majestic scenery and the architecture led me in awe to the entryway and the front lobby. The staff and bellmen were college age, which was a great idea to employ those wishing to learn first hand what the hospitality industry was like. Will recommend to others!

Room Tip: Be sure to view pictures of the inside, then ask to be placed near your preferred site.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Swansea, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed at the Gaylord for a recent conference. Rooms were nice size, clean and generally comfortable. Large property with a number of shops, restaurants and even a water park. Nicely landscaped. Ate at two of the hotel restaurants. Expensive and the food was average at best. For other dining opportunities you can take a local shuttle or the hotel vans (which were very nice and relatively reasonable) to Grapevine which has a good selection of restaurants. Nice facility for the modest size conference we attended.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I've been coming to this hotel for about 5 years for a variety of conferences in the area or at the Gaylord. They always do a great job with the conventions. The hotel has a great atrium area with great walking areas, water features and places to eat. I have eaten at them all and they are each great. The sports bar is great for watching games and enjoying a beer. Highly reccomend the Texan when coming into Grapevine.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Crown City, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Attended a meeting at the Gaylord Texan Hotel during July 2014 for 5 nights. The hotel was immaculately clean. I had to get up at 330 AM to catch a flight and went down to the lobby to see quite a few staff cleaning at night.

Food was overall good at the Cantina (note - 1/2 price appetizers and drink specials for happy hour from 4-6 I believe) and at the sports bar. I had a ham and cheese sandwich, cookie, and soda at the coffee shop and it was $17. Coffee was good and there are 2 coffee shop locations and several gift shops. I noticed that "to go" drinks were more expensive that drinks served in the bars (FYI).

I thought overall the resort restaurants and coffee shops were pricey and a little above comparable resorts but likely for the ambience. I took the hotel provided car service a couple of times. Several good options in downtown Grapevine, Tx. I recommend Esperanza's (Mexican) and AJ's on Main (BBQ). Also car service was a good option to get to the hotel although about $10/ each way higher rate.

Pool and fitness centers were very nice, fully equipped and rather private and easy to access. Rooms were very nice and cleaned daily. They have a same day cleaning service if you need it. I had room service one night and it was very good and fast but was pricey (I believe a 30% upcharge).

One of the drivers recommended visiting a place nearby called Top Golf for fun. The Cowboy's golf course is 1 mile away. Overall great stay! Meeting facilities are nice but about a 10 minute walk from rooms.

Room Tip: I would choose a room close to the cantina. That seems to be fairly central to the fitness center...
Green Features: There was a note about their green practices in the room. I did not really look at this too much but the resort is over 100 acres and they have several ongoing initiatives.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

This was our 2nd visit to the Gaylord Texan with our grandchildren. Our connecting rooms were clean, beds very comfortable, clean bathrooms. We enjoyed Paradise Springs, having pictures made with the character "Toothless", and the fireworks display. The location of the resort is very close to other attractions such as Legoland and the Sea Life Aquarium at the Grapevine Mills Mall. Our main complaint is the high prices for food at the resort, especially if your are traveling with children. Our first breakfast was the buffet at the Riverwalk Cantina. For 2 adults and 3 children under the age of 8, we paid $90. The kids pancakes were so hard, they were almost in edible. At the pool bar we had 3 hot dogs, a pizza and drinks and it set us back $98. We ended up going off the resort to eat. Please give us more kid friendly dining options!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I stayed at the Gaylord Texan for a conference and was thoroughly impressed with the hotel/resort. The grounds are well manicured and there are many things to do right on the hotel/resort grounds. My room was huge, almost a waste for one person, but no complaints! Having a balcony that overlooks the courtyard was a nice touch. The wifi was painfully slow, and while it was included, I'd rather pay a bit to have wifi that is better than the old dial up internet!

Room Tip: As I always do, I ask for a room on a higher level and away from the elevator.
Green Features: Same practices common throughout the industry. Always wonder if these practices are done because of they are environmentally friendly, or if it's because it saves the hotel money (for example, reuse towels to save on using detergent, yet using less detergent also saves the hotel money!).
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#5 of 193 in Dallas
4.5 of 5 stars 3,896 reviews

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!