“Great concept but food and beverage outlets need LOTS of work.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #14 of 18 hotels in Grapevine
Houston, Texas
“Great concept but food and beverage outlets need LOTS of work.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed here for a couple of nights while my husband was in town for business. The concept is great - neat layout and design. However the food and beverage outlets greatly need to improve (as does the Gaylord in Nashville where I stayed in January - see separate review). Our first night's dinner was in the Italian restaurant. We were promptly seated - and it was later in the evening- but we noticed a large table next to us calling over the manager to complain about something. Being in the hospitality business I didn't pay too much attention as big groups are often a challenge with so many dynamics. We ordered a cocktail to start while we reviewed the wine list. The initial arrival time of our cocktails seemed to take as long as 15 minutes - which is way too long considering the rush had already passed. When the waiter finally returned with our drinks, we went ahead and placed our food order as well as selected a bottle of wine. Our first course came out timely enough, but as we finished our drinks, the waiter never brought the bottle of wine. Someone else cleared our plates, and still no waiter and no wine and no water. Another 15 minutes go by until we can flag him down and request he bring the wine - and he looks at us dumbfounded like why would we want our bottle of wine before entrees. During this time we notice another table close to us has called over the manager to complain - this time we could hear it was about the horrible service.

We finally received our entrees (which were surprisingly good) and our wine but left feeling frustrated. However we ended up going to the Glass Cactus and had a great time listening to a fantastic dance band.

The next day was Father's Day and we just wanted to go down to the Mexican restaurant for breakfast/ brunch. We walked up at 10:35 and were told the restaurant was closed until 11am to turn it from a la carte service to a buffet. Never mind the big sign in the lobby that said breakfast was served until 11am. But anyway - we put our names on the list, requested a table by the water and were told it would be 20-25 minutes and they would text when the table was ready. We made sure not to stray too far - because at 11am, still no text. They start seating people, many tables still open, still nothing. Now it's 11:20 - almost an hour later from when we came down for breakfast (and this is the ONLY full service restaurant opened for breakfast) and we still aren't sat. When I go for the 2nd time to the hostess stand, they tell me we are next and it's another 10 minutes - meanwhile numerous tables are open. They finally seat us in the back, not by the water - and when we tell her that we requested one of those tables she said they had been reserved by other people. We sat at them anyway, got a decent server but she was clearly in the weeds with tables all over the venue, not just her station. So perhaps they were understaffed overall - but it's Father's Day, they weren't really on a wait, so as a management team - figure it out.

Later that day at the pool - regular pool, not the big waterpark, our poolside waiter was very good and attentive.

Service in the sports bar was fine - we had a good time watching the nba finals. Kids aren't allowed in the main part after 7 but they have an "outdoor" patio that made it fun.

For the big WATERPARK on property - it's nice but not huge - and not very crowded ironically. Again ordered a drink and the waiter didn't come check on us for over an hour - not because he was busy with guests but busy hanging with co-workers.

We really liked the property but since the "pull" of the resort is that everything is there and you don't have to leave, I'm not sure we would stay again until we could be assured the service issues were fixed.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

2,086 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Polish first
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My usual hotel was booked, so I tried the recommended Marriott property near where I needed to meet. I knew the Gaylord was considered a resort, but I figured just a marketing spin.

Granted I was only in the hotel at night, but I found the setting to be refreshing. Every aspect of the hotel was well maintained, clean and new. Everything was big, the parking deck, the hotel, the lobby, the 5 acre atrium. Multiple bars and restaurants so I could find a nice restaurant without having to drive out again.

The room was well appointed with comfortable furniture and interesting accessories. A peaceful balcony to enjoy the atrium with a view like a village. An indoor and an outdoor pool for those with time.

I plan to return with the team for a meeting.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As I wrote... magnificent. It´s a great hotel with a lot of style. If you´re looking for a resort so you can relax and refresh you energy, it´s a excellent place.
The reception is wonderful and they DO call you by your name... even after I stepped away and came back they knew me... even with a foreign name - very courteous staff.
You can setup a shuttle to places away from the hotel.
Also, they have bars, restaurants and everything to entertain you.
Room as good.
The only thing strange... I could hear the girl next door, I believe, speaking with someone through skype (or similar) - but that was it!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We has a relaxing time at the Gaylord Texan! Nice time hanging out at the pool. Every meal we had was delicious! We even saw the Friday night fireworks from our room !! The staff were wonderful - from the moment we were at valet til the moment we left ! the pool staff were prompt to serve our drinks pool side ! house keeping were there for extra towels and left us a cute handmade note ! We had cheese and wine in the wine bar from an excellent server that knew the right wine to pair with our cheese! The steakhouse bar is amazing the steak is delicious and we loved the service we received! This is a beautiful resort worth seeing !

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Room was okay, nothing special. We decided not to pay $40.00 a night extra for a view of the inside atrium. We were there for wife's business so everything was included except the parking and view. We had a car one night, but they billed us for all three nights. I went down to tell them to take if off , which they had instructed me to do when I took it back to the airport and they got manager and took it off. Then put it right back on again and now have to call them again to get it corrected. Called once already and they said I had to call back after 9:00am their time.

I thought the service was outstanding except for the parking problem. The staff was great and friendly as well as in the restaurant and at the water park. They all went out of their way and the girl we had at the waterpark was working hard as our waitress.

I just wish they would have fixed the parking after twice I went down to make sure it was taken off the bill.

Water park was very nice and fun, but if we were paying our own way I doubt I would chose this as a destination. Very neat place just too pricy for me.

Room Tip: Eat at the Old Hickory Steak House, best steak I have ever had.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Beautiful resort from the outside. Booked a room for one night at 169$, grand total after all the hotel add ons, 259$. Read the fine print. I booked this by phone as i was driving in. Asked for best rate and was quoted 169 plus tax. No mention of the additional add ons. Mandatory 18$ resort fee, 17$ parking fee. Get real! Taxes are one thing but when you buy a car the tires are included in the price. Find another place.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed for four nights ( 3 business 1 pleasure). The hotel grounds are beautiful with lots of water and gardens. The restaurants we ate in were all above average and the staff was very helpful and friendly. They seemed to be very kid friendly ( it made the pool situation a little crowded with kids). They have a $5 shuttle to the outlet mall and aquarium, good golf courses close by and a small water park on the property.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!