“Thanks for ruining my birthday! ” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Lone Star Christmas
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
“Thanks for ruining my birthday! ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We've stay at Gaylord Texan in Grapevine several times, however I'm not sure we will ever return. I called and made a reservation, and requested a room with a great view of the atrium, and not be stuck in the back of the hotel with a horrible view, as we have been before. Once we arrive, the checkin desk assured we would have a great view. We get to our room, and here we are once again, stuck over looking the cantina with a horrible view I requested we didn't want. So while my wife is getting dressed for us to go out and celebrate a night out for her birthday, I'm at the checkin desk for 30minutes trying to resolve this issue. Finally spoke with a manager, and the best she said she could do was move us to another room. Never received any sort of discount, I'm sorry, offer to move our luggage, or make any gestures. I interrupt my wife from getting dressed so we could move rooms. Not only did that issue inconvenience the both of us, it made is late and miss our dinner reservations. We would normally have dined at one of the restaurants at the resort, however they were all closed besides the steak house, which we didn't want. That alone forced us to travel to Dallas for dinner. It would have also been nice to know, the entire resort was booked for a convention. We couldn't even enjoy the amenities as we have on prior visits. To say the least, we were very disappointed in our stay at Gaylord Texan in Grapevine.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
LMP12083,

Thank you for staying at our resort and providing your review in regards of your stay. On behalf of Gaylord Texan, I want to apologize in regards of the room view and the hotel's outlets being closed due to a private event. Our front desk tries their best to accommodate requests but unfortunately can’t guarantee them. We are working on a better process to assist our guests' requests. In regards of the private event, our team is working on improving our communication with our guests, so this incident doesn’t happen again. We are extremely sorry this happened during your birthday weekend. Please feel free to email me at tfeedbackmailbox@gaylordhotels.com if you need further assistance. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review. Hope you have a great day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Polish first
Arlington, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My husband and I planned a night at the hotel for my birthday this weekend. We live locally and I thought it would be great for a night away from home to drink, dine, and dance all under the same roof. Our standard room was $259. The room was fine. We had a nice view of the lake. After we got settled we wandered around the atrium deciding where to eat, much to my disappointment, we quickly discovered one by one that each of the restaurant's in the hotel were closed for a private event. Only one restaurant,(the most expensive) out of five was open and I really wasn't planning on eating steak. The Glass Cactus nightclub was also closed to the private event. When we expressed our disappointment to many the staff they just said they were sold out for the event. I understand that they have conventions but how about telling me up front? I may have chosen a different date or hotel with Marriott. It was not mentioned at booking or check-in and many of the staff were not even aware. I was so disappointed. We ended up taking a cab to downtown Grapevine to dine and drink (because we didn't want to drive). Based on this experience I have no desire to stay again.

Room Tip: Stay on the Atrium side
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cinnamontx,

Thank you for staying at our resort and providing your review in regards of your stay. On behalf of Gaylord Texan, I want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the restaurants being closed due to a private event. Communication to our guests is a priority to at our hotels. Our team is coming up with new ways to better communicate information when there are private events in our facility. We are extremely sorry this happened during your birthday weekend. Please feel free to email me at tfeedbackmailbox@gaylordhotels.com if you need further assistance. Thank you again, and hope you have a great day.
Thomasville, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

A convention center really ought to be able to handle a convention, but not here. Not only did we have NO water pressure or hot water for the shower, a nasty gritty rust came out of faucet. Front desk didn't care. Restaurants couldn't handle to crowds, either. Very disappointed. Beautiful property, but service was poor.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Anne M,

Thank you for staying at our resort and providing your review towards your stay. On behalf of Gaylord Texan, I want to apologize in regards of your experience with the hot water and service. Our team's priority is to create a flawless stay and with your feedback we will be able to improve our services. Our engineering team has been notified about the Hot water and the rust from the faucet. The issues have been resolved. If you need any further assistance please feel free to email me at Tfeedbackmailbox.@gaylordhotels.com. Thank you again for your review and hope you have an amazing day.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The hotel, convention center are very conveniently connected. Walk from hotel through beautiful atrium which is landscaped with abundance of unique plants, restaurants, interesting architecture. Like seeing all the sights of Texas but indoors.

Room Tip: Get a room with balcony overlooking the atrium.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Plano, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I came to check in at 3 pm on 1/18/14 and I was told that housekeeping was behind on rooms so I was offered a downgrade! When I said I rather wait, the front desk agent got upset.
So we decided to go eat whole waiting for the room. To my surprise, I was told by the hostess that only the people by the convention were allowed in. After waiting for 1.5 hours, I had to go back to the desk only to find out the room was still not available!
Finally, I went to get dinner and the restaurant had a 2-hour wait since their convention had taken it.
Disastrous experience! Never coming back.

• Stayed January 2014
bmacarty,

Thank you for staying at our resort and providing your review in regards of your experience. On behalf of Gaylord Texan, I want to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your check-in time and your restaurant wait. Our hotel strives to create flawless service and with your review we will take training actions with our staff to improve our services. Your information was distributed to the front desk and our food and beverage outlets. Please email me at tfeedbackmailbox@gaylordhotels.com if you need further assistance. Thank you again!
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Took the family to Dallas for Christmas and stayed at the Gaylord Texan. It's like being at a theme park. Great restaurants. And the "Ice" presentation at Christmas is a "can't miss." The atrium effect is the best at any hotel

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Terrific people, great attractions (ICE). Grandson became ill while there & everyone went out of their way to accommodate. Overall, the food was excellent, but the Mexican restaurant food was only fair. Service however was very good. That food not up to par with everything else at the facility. Would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!