“Do not stay there if they have a convention” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 20%
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Plano, Texas
“Do not stay there if they have a convention”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I came to check in at 3 pm on 1/18/14 and I was told that housekeeping was behind on rooms so I was offered a downgrade! When I said I rather wait, the front desk agent got upset.
So we decided to go eat whole waiting for the room. To my surprise, I was told by the hostess that only the people by the convention were allowed in. After waiting for 1.5 hours, I had to go back to the desk only to find out the room was still not available!
Finally, I went to get dinner and the restaurant had a 2-hour wait since their convention had taken it.
Disastrous experience! Never coming back.

• Stayed January 2014
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
bmacarty,

Thank you for staying at our resort and providing your review in regards of your experience. On behalf of Gaylord Texan, I want to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your check-in time and your restaurant wait. Our hotel strives to create flawless service and with your review we will take training actions with our staff to improve our services. Your information was distributed to the front desk and our food and beverage outlets. Please email me at tfeedbackmailbox@gaylordhotels.com if you need further assistance. Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
  • Polish first
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Took the family to Dallas for Christmas and stayed at the Gaylord Texan. It's like being at a theme park. Great restaurants. And the "Ice" presentation at Christmas is a "can't miss." The atrium effect is the best at any hotel

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Terrific people, great attractions (ICE). Grandson became ill while there & everyone went out of their way to accommodate. Overall, the food was excellent, but the Mexican restaurant food was only fair. Service however was very good. That food not up to par with everything else at the facility. Would definitely return.

Sherman, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed there on December 27 and 28 because we wanted our 5 year old son to experience the meet and greet with the characters of Madagascar and Disney works and also because it has been a tradition for us to stay at Gaylord every Christmas time because the place is just so nice and cozy. But apparently all these accolades for this hotel was shattered by disappointments, rude and unresponsive managers. With all the anger and disappointment we experience in this hotel, I will name names of the people involved so that proper adjustments and appropriate actions be made in order to address this issue.
As I have said, we checked in December 27 pm and left our room around 4:45 to attend the said activity for our son. When we got back to our room we were surprised because their is a keycard (Rm. 4362) laying on our desk which apparently we are not notified. We were scared and disgusted that somebody can just barged into your room without your permission and the thing is some of our personal belongings are still in the room. We called the front desk and they immediately send in a security (Mr. Jay [--]) to investigate. We also called the MOD (Ms. Deidre [--]) but unfortunately she didn't respond to our call as if this matter is not of importance to her which is a total disappointment. We've been waiting for her call and keep calling the front desk asking for the MOD but all we got was a very long wait. After the investigation done by the security, a front desk officer named Hoang [--] ordered a keycard to be brought to a particular guest on room 7302 (which is our room) to room 4362. The bell boy by the name of Mr. Andy [--] got the work order and delivered the keycard to a wrong room who is requesting the room transfer and happens to barged into our room. This might be an accident or not but still our privacy has been compromised and barging into our room is not unethical and appropriate. The security told us that this things happen and we were taken aback by his comments. Wow, these guys can do anything here and there is certainly no privacy in your room after leaving. This is outrageous and horrible.
After what we experience, we will surely not come back in this unsecured hotel and also we will be telling this bad experience we have to our friends and families.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GaylordTexanResort, Customer Care Specialist at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Jo C,

Thank you so much for staying at our hotel and providing your review in regards of your experience. On behalf of Gaylord Texan I want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during our ICE! season. Guest Security is our main priority and I passed on this information to our security management to review procedures. We are sorry this caused any type of dissatisfaction to you and your family. Please feel free to email me directly at Tfeedbackmailbox@gaylordhotels.com if you need further assistance. Thank you again.
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed for a few days in this beautiful property in Dallas and liked it. This property has good restaurants, a wonderfully done landscaped gardens, and beautiful grounds. We had a business conference and was impressed with the set up and the arrangements. Would love to return sometime with the family.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Stephenville, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Our family along with my parents, and my sister and her family spent a night a few days before Christmas. This was the Sunday before Christmas. My mother wanted us to all see the Nutcracker Ice exhibit. Which was good but not the topic of this review. We knew going into this it was going to be crowded.

We had 3 rooms, two atrium views and one regular room we paid for with points. We arrived first and self parked in the convention center close to the Ice exhibit. You still have to walk a ways to get to the hotel but it all inside unlike the regular self parking garage. We arrived about 2pm and there were about a dozen people in line and things went smoothly. I was able to get all three rooms checked in and only one room (the points room) was unavailable. They promised to text us when our room was ready so we headed to hang out in one of the other rooms. As soon as we hit the room we got a phone call it was ready so I trudged back down to the front desk. This time there were 50 people in line. After waiting a few minutes in line one of the manager spotted my check in paperwork (there is a paper they give you when you room is not ready) and quickly ushered me off to the side and gave me my room keys. Nice touch. He also told me that they were completely booked out tonight.

The resort itself was crowded with people, it was noisy and people were everywhere. About 30 minutes later my parents and sister called saying they were in the valet line waiting to drop the car off. I went back to the lobby to discover the check in line was probably 100+ people now and snaked all the way through the lobby. Was glad I got there early, probably an hour wait at that point. I grabbed the last free luggage cart I could find and helped load it up. We would have been perfectly content to roll the cart up to our room ourselves but they wouldn't let us. The valet has to pass it to the bellhops who then take it to your room but remember its crazy busy around here. A bell hop did show up with the luggage about 30 minutes later so it wasn't too bad.

My parents room was 8301 an atrium view of other rooms right on the end of the lone star tower for the cost difference it was a bad deal. My sisters room on the other hand was 9303 and was amazing in view and size. Same price for both. I was happy with my points room down the hall facing the airport.

Room were nicely appointed, beds ok. Internet that was included in the "resort fee" was a bit slow.

I get a kick of reading reviews where everyone complains about the cost. It should not be a surprise that when your paying $250 a night for a room plus a resort fee, plus taxes, plus parking, that they are going to hit you everywhere else. Everything costs and costs a lot. Don't act surprised or put out.

My biggest disappointment with this stay and the reason I gave it 3 stars instead of 4 was that I don't think the hotel was staffed accordingly for the crowd. They are booked solid and not all the front desk stations are open. We went to one of the bars and there was one bartender and one waiter for the entire area. The valet line was parked out into the street because they don't have enough valets. The place felt crowded. Sad thing is we looked across into the hill country tower and saw dozens and dozens of rooms that were taped off being remodeled with construction workers in them. So we realized that they really weren't at capacity and it could be worse.

Breakfast the next morning was good, even for $22/head. We went at 10a and called it brunch. Big line, didn't get seated until after 10:30 but they kept the buffet going and stocked until past 11 which I appreciated.

Staff was always professional, never rude but had a bit of a haggard hurried edge to them. They needed some help if the Gaylord wants to provide truly exceptional service. At the end of the day this is a large conference hotel and you are paying to be there, not really paying for the service of an upscale hotel.

Room Tip: Not all atrium views are created equal. 9303 is an exceptionally large room with a fantastic view.
keller, tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I have always loved staying at the Gaylord Texan! I have to say that it is a great experience most of the time. Staying during the holidays is my favorite time of the year. There were a few problems this time, hopefully they will make some improvements. Let me first say that you cannot stay here and not spend a ton of money. We did get a "deal" on a one night stay with our Marriott card, but it was just a discounted rate. Checking in is where the biggest problem occurred. We arrived at 4:00 PM on December 26th. This was an hour after the 3:00 check in time. We were told that a room was being prepared for us and would we mind waiting for a call? We agreed and checked our bags at the bell hop for safe keeping. We walked around the hotel and decorated gingerbread cookies. That was fun, but really expensive! 4 gingerbread cookies and a small package of icing, and a small package of candy for $25. Alright, it was a good family activity. We still had not received a call regarding our room by 6:00 PM. So we headed to the front desk. They stated our room was still not ready, we could have a room on the first floor. I wanted a room further up (with an atrium view), so they said they would move us to a "better location". We checked out our luggage, with an offer from the bell hop that they would take our luggage upstairs. I didn't know the room number at that time (my husband was at the front desk getting a key). So they handed our luggage to us and walked away without another word. Then we loaded up our luggage and proceeded up to the "wonderful room" we were expecting. We arrived to our room at 6:30. It wasn't that impressive, it seemed really small. The view was okay, but we were right over the sports grill and the majority of the view was the tiled roof, with some trash on top. We made the best of it though, and ate dinner in the Italian restaurant, which was very good. We had breakfast in the coffee/snack bar, which was also good. I sure wish that the Gaylord Texan would have made some sort of offer to help with the inconvenience. It would not have been that difficult to have given us a discount to the coffee/snack shop, or a room upgrade. To check in 3 1/2 hours after the posted time of 3:00 seems ridiculous to me! I won't be staying again for awhile!

Room Tip: The Christmas lights in the atrium are gorgeous! Get a room with an atrium view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!