“Very nice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #14 of 18 hotels in Grapevine
New Delhi, India
“Very nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed for a few days in this beautiful property in Dallas and liked it. This property has good restaurants, a wonderfully done landscaped gardens, and beautiful grounds. We had a business conference and was impressed with the set up and the arrangements. Would love to return sometime with the family.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

2,086 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Polish first
Stephenville, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Our family along with my parents, and my sister and her family spent a night a few days before Christmas. This was the Sunday before Christmas. My mother wanted us to all see the Nutcracker Ice exhibit. Which was good but not the topic of this review. We knew going into this it was going to be crowded.

We had 3 rooms, two atrium views and one regular room we paid for with points. We arrived first and self parked in the convention center close to the Ice exhibit. You still have to walk a ways to get to the hotel but it all inside unlike the regular self parking garage. We arrived about 2pm and there were about a dozen people in line and things went smoothly. I was able to get all three rooms checked in and only one room (the points room) was unavailable. They promised to text us when our room was ready so we headed to hang out in one of the other rooms. As soon as we hit the room we got a phone call it was ready so I trudged back down to the front desk. This time there were 50 people in line. After waiting a few minutes in line one of the manager spotted my check in paperwork (there is a paper they give you when you room is not ready) and quickly ushered me off to the side and gave me my room keys. Nice touch. He also told me that they were completely booked out tonight.

The resort itself was crowded with people, it was noisy and people were everywhere. About 30 minutes later my parents and sister called saying they were in the valet line waiting to drop the car off. I went back to the lobby to discover the check in line was probably 100+ people now and snaked all the way through the lobby. Was glad I got there early, probably an hour wait at that point. I grabbed the last free luggage cart I could find and helped load it up. We would have been perfectly content to roll the cart up to our room ourselves but they wouldn't let us. The valet has to pass it to the bellhops who then take it to your room but remember its crazy busy around here. A bell hop did show up with the luggage about 30 minutes later so it wasn't too bad.

My parents room was 8301 an atrium view of other rooms right on the end of the lone star tower for the cost difference it was a bad deal. My sisters room on the other hand was 9303 and was amazing in view and size. Same price for both. I was happy with my points room down the hall facing the airport.

Room were nicely appointed, beds ok. Internet that was included in the "resort fee" was a bit slow.

I get a kick of reading reviews where everyone complains about the cost. It should not be a surprise that when your paying $250 a night for a room plus a resort fee, plus taxes, plus parking, that they are going to hit you everywhere else. Everything costs and costs a lot. Don't act surprised or put out.

My biggest disappointment with this stay and the reason I gave it 3 stars instead of 4 was that I don't think the hotel was staffed accordingly for the crowd. They are booked solid and not all the front desk stations are open. We went to one of the bars and there was one bartender and one waiter for the entire area. The valet line was parked out into the street because they don't have enough valets. The place felt crowded. Sad thing is we looked across into the hill country tower and saw dozens and dozens of rooms that were taped off being remodeled with construction workers in them. So we realized that they really weren't at capacity and it could be worse.

Breakfast the next morning was good, even for $22/head. We went at 10a and called it brunch. Big line, didn't get seated until after 10:30 but they kept the buffet going and stocked until past 11 which I appreciated.

Staff was always professional, never rude but had a bit of a haggard hurried edge to them. They needed some help if the Gaylord wants to provide truly exceptional service. At the end of the day this is a large conference hotel and you are paying to be there, not really paying for the service of an upscale hotel.

Room Tip: Not all atrium views are created equal. 9303 is an exceptionally large room with a fantastic view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
keller, tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I have always loved staying at the Gaylord Texan! I have to say that it is a great experience most of the time. Staying during the holidays is my favorite time of the year. There were a few problems this time, hopefully they will make some improvements. Let me first say that you cannot stay here and not spend a ton of money. We did get a "deal" on a one night stay with our Marriott card, but it was just a discounted rate. Checking in is where the biggest problem occurred. We arrived at 4:00 PM on December 26th. This was an hour after the 3:00 check in time. We were told that a room was being prepared for us and would we mind waiting for a call? We agreed and checked our bags at the bell hop for safe keeping. We walked around the hotel and decorated gingerbread cookies. That was fun, but really expensive! 4 gingerbread cookies and a small package of icing, and a small package of candy for $25. Alright, it was a good family activity. We still had not received a call regarding our room by 6:00 PM. So we headed to the front desk. They stated our room was still not ready, we could have a room on the first floor. I wanted a room further up (with an atrium view), so they said they would move us to a "better location". We checked out our luggage, with an offer from the bell hop that they would take our luggage upstairs. I didn't know the room number at that time (my husband was at the front desk getting a key). So they handed our luggage to us and walked away without another word. Then we loaded up our luggage and proceeded up to the "wonderful room" we were expecting. We arrived to our room at 6:30. It wasn't that impressive, it seemed really small. The view was okay, but we were right over the sports grill and the majority of the view was the tiled roof, with some trash on top. We made the best of it though, and ate dinner in the Italian restaurant, which was very good. We had breakfast in the coffee/snack bar, which was also good. I sure wish that the Gaylord Texan would have made some sort of offer to help with the inconvenience. It would not have been that difficult to have given us a discount to the coffee/snack shop, or a room upgrade. To check in 3 1/2 hours after the posted time of 3:00 seems ridiculous to me! I won't be staying again for awhile!

Room Tip: The Christmas lights in the atrium are gorgeous! Get a room with an atrium view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Went to see the nutcracker ICE exhibit in Grapevine Texas. What a great way to enjoy the holidays. Fabulously carved ice exhibit with scenes from the nutcracker. My favorite part was the nativity scene at the end. The food was great at the resort, especially the Italian restaurant. The ICE exhibit and the snow tubing were lots of fun. We paid extra to see the 5D show which I don't recommend. It was pricey and my children were bored. Overall we had a terrific time and I highly recommend this as a weekend holiday excursion.

Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We did not stay here, scared off by some of the reviews, but we did take the grandkids to view the beautiful Christmas decorations and trains. We have visited at Christmas before and everything was beautiful and fun - especially trough the eyes of children - but some the decorations have been changed and I noticed several new activities for additional charges. The trains were a big hit and the life size gingerbread house too.

Parking was 12.99 and I felt it was worth it ... lots of good photo ops for kids ... then we got to leave and not deal with the crowds! Try to pick an off day to visit.

Oklahoma City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed for the first time for the Cotton Bowl. The positives included very cute Christmas decorations in the atrium and the attention paid to making the hotel feel like the OSU official team hotel. I also thought the valet, bell and front desk staff were very welcoming upon our arrival. One of the negatives was a very average room for the price. The room was small, and the bathroom underwhelming (not even a curved shower curtain rod!). The bedding was pretty skimpy, not real comfortable. The housekeeping staff did not compare to the valet/bell staff. The only amenities left in the bathroom were a shower cap and moisturizer (had to hunt for shampoo, shower gel and conditioner). We left the room on Friday at 11:00 am and returned at 3:15, and the room had not been made up. The food in the restaurants was extremely average and very overpriced. Our kids are too old for the holiday activities offered for kids, but they looked fun for the very young set. However, every single activity was a separate fee, and extremely expensive. Had a very "nickel and dime you to death" feel to it. I was glad to experience the Gaylord Texan for the Cotton Bowl, but I doubt I would stay there again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was the official hotel for the OSU Cowboys for The Cotton Bowl so we stayed there. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas which was a treat . The various restaurants on site had great food, but the service was very slow. This could have been because clearly the hotel was at capacity and many people were there to see the decorations. I will say that the room service was awesome and speedy with piping hot food brought to our room. The parking rates are really high for a resort that is in the middle of nowhere!

• Stayed January 2014

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!