“Would we ever get a room?!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 nightly credit
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
keller, tx
“Would we ever get a room?!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I have always loved staying at the Gaylord Texan! I have to say that it is a great experience most of the time. Staying during the holidays is my favorite time of the year. There were a few problems this time, hopefully they will make some improvements. Let me first say that you cannot stay here and not spend a ton of money. We did get a "deal" on a one night stay with our Marriott card, but it was just a discounted rate. Checking in is where the biggest problem occurred. We arrived at 4:00 PM on December 26th. This was an hour after the 3:00 check in time. We were told that a room was being prepared for us and would we mind waiting for a call? We agreed and checked our bags at the bell hop for safe keeping. We walked around the hotel and decorated gingerbread cookies. That was fun, but really expensive! 4 gingerbread cookies and a small package of icing, and a small package of candy for $25. Alright, it was a good family activity. We still had not received a call regarding our room by 6:00 PM. So we headed to the front desk. They stated our room was still not ready, we could have a room on the first floor. I wanted a room further up (with an atrium view), so they said they would move us to a "better location". We checked out our luggage, with an offer from the bell hop that they would take our luggage upstairs. I didn't know the room number at that time (my husband was at the front desk getting a key). So they handed our luggage to us and walked away without another word. Then we loaded up our luggage and proceeded up to the "wonderful room" we were expecting. We arrived to our room at 6:30. It wasn't that impressive, it seemed really small. The view was okay, but we were right over the sports grill and the majority of the view was the tiled roof, with some trash on top. We made the best of it though, and ate dinner in the Italian restaurant, which was very good. We had breakfast in the coffee/snack bar, which was also good. I sure wish that the Gaylord Texan would have made some sort of offer to help with the inconvenience. It would not have been that difficult to have given us a discount to the coffee/snack shop, or a room upgrade. To check in 3 1/2 hours after the posted time of 3:00 seems ridiculous to me! I won't be staying again for awhile!

Room Tip: The Christmas lights in the atrium are gorgeous! Get a room with an atrium view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Polish first
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Went to see the nutcracker ICE exhibit in Grapevine Texas. What a great way to enjoy the holidays. Fabulously carved ice exhibit with scenes from the nutcracker. My favorite part was the nativity scene at the end. The food was great at the resort, especially the Italian restaurant. The ICE exhibit and the snow tubing were lots of fun. We paid extra to see the 5D show which I don't recommend. It was pricey and my children were bored. Overall we had a terrific time and I highly recommend this as a weekend holiday excursion.

Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We did not stay here, scared off by some of the reviews, but we did take the grandkids to view the beautiful Christmas decorations and trains. We have visited at Christmas before and everything was beautiful and fun - especially trough the eyes of children - but some the decorations have been changed and I noticed several new activities for additional charges. The trains were a big hit and the life size gingerbread house too.

Parking was 12.99 and I felt it was worth it ... lots of good photo ops for kids ... then we got to leave and not deal with the crowds! Try to pick an off day to visit.

Oklahoma City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed for the first time for the Cotton Bowl. The positives included very cute Christmas decorations in the atrium and the attention paid to making the hotel feel like the OSU official team hotel. I also thought the valet, bell and front desk staff were very welcoming upon our arrival. One of the negatives was a very average room for the price. The room was small, and the bathroom underwhelming (not even a curved shower curtain rod!). The bedding was pretty skimpy, not real comfortable. The housekeeping staff did not compare to the valet/bell staff. The only amenities left in the bathroom were a shower cap and moisturizer (had to hunt for shampoo, shower gel and conditioner). We left the room on Friday at 11:00 am and returned at 3:15, and the room had not been made up. The food in the restaurants was extremely average and very overpriced. Our kids are too old for the holiday activities offered for kids, but they looked fun for the very young set. However, every single activity was a separate fee, and extremely expensive. Had a very "nickel and dime you to death" feel to it. I was glad to experience the Gaylord Texan for the Cotton Bowl, but I doubt I would stay there again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was the official hotel for the OSU Cowboys for The Cotton Bowl so we stayed there. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas which was a treat . The various restaurants on site had great food, but the service was very slow. This could have been because clearly the hotel was at capacity and many people were there to see the decorations. I will say that the room service was awesome and speedy with piping hot food brought to our room. The parking rates are really high for a resort that is in the middle of nowhere!

• Stayed January 2014
Forney, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We went to gaylord as a family for the dream works package. We always like the ice exhibit and the decorations they have there. We have been to gaylord more than once and this visit was the worst with the bed being hard and noisy every move was heard and the restaurant we visited which we have been to many times was bad food and bad service for tons of money. A beef fajita was $20 and the only thing I could stand was the beef and that wasn't the bests nod usually great food with great service. We only seen our waiter a couple times. My daughter had a blast and that was the important thing, but for what u get for the money it is so crazy. Even with being expensive I would say at least do it once.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Benton, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Have gone there for several years. This year I encountered ONE dept with acceptable customer service - the bell captain's stand of all places! The rest ... Coffee shop front desk room service maintenance dept Mexican cantina parking valet Ginghy's house Snow slide Ice exhibit All had a " I don't give a crap and really don't wanna' be here attitude". I was told be 3 people the hotel was out of coffee provided in rooms. BIG LIE. My grandson was hit on the forehead...bleeding and huge bump..and no one offered first aid. I DEMANDED the person who hit him come apologize. The parking valet overcharged me $27 EVERY day.
And every day I went to the front desk to get it corrected. Our room was not made up until I went to the front desk at 6 pm and ask to have it cleaned. Ordered a movie, it was blotchy & skipping. Called maintenance. They restarted it. Yep! You got it...charged $18 twice for 1 movie. I think I'm done with Gaylord.

• Stayed December 2013

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!