“Outstanding in every way possible.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 20% thru 3/5!
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Louisiana
“Outstanding in every way possible.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

What a fun and delightful place to stay. Excellent food and wine options available. Balcony from your room is quaint. Room very comfortable. Great location near DFW airport and Great Wolf Lodge. Fun for families, couples, or for having some alone R&R.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (729)
  • Polish first
Plano, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My friend, an elite Marriott member, reserved a night for us at this property so we could relax, enjoy the pool, watch fireworks at the Glass Cactus and then enjoy the band, Le Freak which is one of my favorites.

DO NOT think you will have a relaxing time at the Gaylord. While I understand it is a family oriented resort, the noise level in the hallways and between rooms is unbelievable. Like other reviewers have reported, the walls are paper thin and you can hear EVERYTHING. We were awakened by crying babies, shrieking children and never felt rested.

Rooms are small, but well appointed. Bed was not up to standard for a Marriott property and was not comfortable.

Property is beautiful and maintained well, however well is not good enough. Please take a lesson from Disney and have staff continually making sure your property is kept free of debris and messes on floors and elevators.

I ate at the breakfast buffet by myself and was able sit at the bar as I was alone and did not want to wait for a table. There are approximately 25 chairs around the bar area as well as several 4 tops. Armando was the bartender as well as the server/busperson for all in the bar area. There is no way one individual can provide the standard of customer service one expects at a resort. Again, I am amazed Marriott is so understaffed and is not respectful of their staff or customers. To witness Armando rushing to and fro trying to deliver service was stressful for me. The food was mediocre and I ate very little as most of it was quite tasteless. Again, when dealing with the public, especially unsupervised children it is imperative to have staff continually cleaning up around the work stations and the floor. There was food droppings everywhere and I was concerned someone might slip. I would advise to eat off property as there are several good restaurants in Grapevine as well as around the Grapevine Mills Mall, all very close by.

One of our keys did not work. Security arrived promptly and also had issues with her key so she thought the battery might need to be replaced in the door. I had to leave and thought the issue would be resolved upon my return, but was not. Key still did not work. My friend and I were on our way to the Glass Cactus, her key worked so we decided to deal with it the next morning. Went to the front desk, was advised the issue had been reported and the staff was surprised the issue had not been resolved. She said she would get someone up to repair it. Unknown to me, my friend was in bed, still sleeping when they went to repair the door at 7:40 in the morning. Yes, 7:40 in the morning. Woke my friend by calling her......Lack of communication on my part/Marriott's part....
We both assumed I would be provided a new door key, we did not realize they would choose to repair it right away as they did not repair it at all the day before. What a fiasco! We were both frazzled due to lack of sleep due to noise/lousy beds/ and the door issues.

Pools - Only went to the outdoor pool and it was TOO SMALL for this size of resort. Get your towel early as they have a tendency to run out in late afternoon, although they do replenish them. Bar
staff was attentive but again, not enough staff to customer ratio. Asked one of the staff if the indoor pool water was heated. Stated she did not know. Where is the training? Asked another staff at the pool the directions to the indoor pool. He said, "Go around there" and pointed along a wall. It was not correct information. Where is the training? Indoor pool is small and water was still not warm enough for me. No hot tub in the indoor pool. Did not want to take the shuttle to Paradise Springs as that pool looked incredibly overcrowded. I was disappointed to know Paradise Springs was not located within the resort like the other pools.

Glass Cactus was fun and the shuttle picks you up right out outside at the valet area beginning at 5.

I wish I would have read the reviews on this resort prior to us staying. I only read them after we returned to see what others had experienced. The negative reviews were not surprising. I felt incredibly sorry for my friend who wanted to show me a relaxing time. I was stunned at how my friend, who is an elite member, was so poorly treated. I have stayed at resorts all over the world and this was by far the worst. Mr. Marriott should be ashamed.

Room Tip: Given the fact the walls are paper thin, I cannot recommend any room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Emporia, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Beautiful hotel with polite staff, but staff not up to Marriott's standard of service. I was woken up by a phone call at 7:44 a.m. because they wanted to fix the lock on the door. l told them my lock worked fine, then had 2 more knocks on the door by mistake--all of them with my "do not disturb" sign in the lock! When I called to complain, I was told no one was answering the phone at the front desk. When I complained about this to the front desk supervisor, he just shrugged and said "well, we were busy." He was polite and reduced my bill in compensation, but clearly has no idea this constitutes poor service. When I asked to speak to the property manager, he told me he was "not currently here." He was the most senior person in management on property and he was in his 20s! I cannot fault the staff when management is so clearly incompetent. Who would leave such a huge property with literally thousands of guests on 4th of July weekend to junior staff to run? What a pity, when the property itself is so nice.

Room Tip: Rooms have hard beds and are poorly soundproof. We could hear the conversations in each adjoining ro...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Everything at the resort is overpriced. We were even charged $0.25 for a cup and straw after we ha just spent over $80 on sandwiches and chips...seriously?! Never go to this resort on a holiday! They overbook and understaff. We could not get a table at any of the restaurants in the hotel...their wait was over 1.5 hours. When we first arrived we were told that though we had prepaid our stay and had requested two queens no queen rooms were available; keep in mind we arrived at 5:30 PM at a hotel which does not allow heck in until 3:00 PM. How did they run out of queen rooms in that giant facility in just 90 minutes?! They placed our family I four in a small room with one king bed...after over an hour, they finally brought a twin-sized roll-away bed to the room and realized it would not fit...yes, the room was that small. After multiple attempts at reaching the front desk, I was finally able to speak with a manager who mysteriously found us a queen room just a few doors down the hallway. We arrived tired after hours of driving and were left not treated with respect or concern when we arrived. After two hours, we were finally settled in our room and were able to have dinner. I could go on and on. We felt like cattle being herded through our experience. The staff at the hotel do not treat the guests as though we have paid over $200 per night. They should be more kind. They were impatient and rude. The beds are very uncomfortable. It took us over an hour to check out of the hotel...we were so ready to leave when we finally got the keys to our vehicle. We will not return to this resort. It was stressful. It was way overrated.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Chose the Gaylord Texan to celebrate our 2 year wedding anniversary because it was close to home and we had other trips taking place this year. They were also offering an "Anniversary Package" that included a $50 resort credit, free self parking, and no resort fees. The Gaylord gives you no reason to leave the property for food, drink, or entertainment. However, the rooms are loud with kids/adults yelling down the corridors,the bed was creaky (which isn't what we would have opted for to celebrate an anniversary...if you know what I mean), the staff is "removed" and not that we expect to be treated "special" -- but it's always nice to feel genuinely welcomed when going on a vacation. Especially a mini anniversary vacay!

Chose to dine at the sports bar and steakhouse, and went to Glass Cactus for fireworks and entertainment. Will review each of those separately. Is a Marriott property so we will most likely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

If you love everything Texas you'll love this place. We met our son and his wife and our three grandchildren there (ages 9,7 and 4) and had a great four-day stay. The place is huge -- some 1015 rooms we were told, so expect to do some walking to get from one place to another. It takes about a day to figure out where everything fits and how to find your way around. The staff are friendly and helpful. you need to plan ahead to check in and check out at a quiet time. When they run large conferences, which is most of the time, there could be a couple of hundred people coming or going at any one time and peak hour can be quite a jam.

The "Lazy River" pool complex is what we went for, and it was perfect for three grandchildren. They can float around as long as you and they like, using clear plastic doughnut floats. The "river" has quite a current but is only about 3ft deep x 10 ft wide, and you make one circuit in about 5 minutes. There is a life guard about every fifty feet, so the kids are safe and supervised at all times. There is a fun waterslide and several pools for toddlers. This is about the best setup of its type we've seen. It is kept in immaculate condition and we all loved our time there.

Overall I'd say this is an ideal pace for a family holiday as there is lots to se and do for adults and kids, and the catering is varied and plentiful. Excellent value for money.

Room Tip: If you like quiet, stay away from the late-night venues within the hotel as the music gets pretty lo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here based on reviews of friends. It looks great in the main building but as a family of 4 very unimpressed with size of pools and lack of space to make it relaxing to sit at pool. Very average. Not a resort feel like other resorts we've visited in Texas.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!