“A strange sort of hotel but with likeable aspects” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 nightly credit
Ranked #14 of 18 hotels in Grapevine
Bay Area, California
“A strange sort of hotel but with likeable aspects”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a conference in September of 2012. I've never stayed in a place quite like it. The hotel is enclosed in a giant biodome-type structure, with only a pool, golf courses and jogging path being outside. In addition to the hotel rooms, it includes a few restaurants of varying price points, a large gym and spa, one indoor lap pool, shops, and several meeting facilities.

The rooms were average, large as per Texan standards I suppose. But not too creative in terms of decor. I didn't spend much time in my room due to all the activities of the conference. There is a patio outside of the room but I didn't want to spend much time out there, because it only looked out into the enclosed biodome area and my neighbor smoked. I'm pretty sure no smoking is allowed due to the enclosed environment, but I didn't confirm.

My biggest "con" was the sleep quality; my room was adjacent to the sports bar which had a large outside TV (bright enough to creep through my curtains) and had a lot of noise until approximately midnight.

My biggest "pro" was the spa/gym. The facilities are huge and modern. I had a very good massage at the spa (our conference provided a 20% discount so I couldn't resist). The lap pool was fairly empty at 7AM and easy to swim in. Lots of towels and water provided. I did stray outside to use the outdoor pool once, but it was insanely hot outside...I guess this is why they have the biodome enclosure!

I ate at all of the restaurants and would say most are OK. I did enjoy the steakhouse, where I made an entire meal of the large cheese tasting plate :)

If you're not here for a conference or to play golf (lots of courses onsite), I would not choose this hotel. It is definitely too far from Dallas and most other sites in the area. But if you are here for a conference, this is a good choice.

Room Tip: Get one away from the sports bar!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

2,099 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Polish first
Bloomingdale, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I recently stayed at the Gaylord to host an association conference and it was top notch through and through. From the moment I stepped into my suite (which overlooked the atrium) I was treated with respect and first-class service. Everyone from the check-in staff to the "function planning" coordinators were helpful and friendly. We hosted a cocktail event in the atrium and a banquet dinner in one of the ball rooms and our guests are still raving about it today! It was our best meeting by far and I would highly recommend this hotel for work or travel!

Room Tip: The suites were lovely and spacious. The only complaint was that the pillows leave little to be desi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I booked this through Texas golf trail concierge. It turned out to be a great place to call home while making sales calls in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. It is located in Grapevine which is in the middle of both towns, 10 minutes to the airport, and easy to get into and out of. The rooms are clean, spacious , with nice appointments. They also include 2 bottles of water per day which is a nice touch. They have a variety of restaurants at all price points. The service is personal for a property this size. Very comfortable for business. I want to go back for leisure.

Stayed May 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel is like a city within itself. A combination convention center, theme park, and hotel. The sheer size is reminiscent of what one finds in Vegas e.g. long distances to get where you want to go. Booked for me by the group I was with (I realized this was a Marriott property after I checked in, not that it matters), the rooms were okay, nothing spectacular. The bed was remarkably comfortable, much more so than the standard Marriott hotel bed.

The Alamo-themed re-creation in the covered atrium (kind of looks like you are inside of a domed stadium) was interesting. The other aspect that was Vegas-like was the cost of items in the multitude of shops, including food. Sunscreen, lip balm, and a few other sundries cost a lot as did the latte and croissant.

The "convention food" was above average and the service, except for check-in, was superb. This is a huge hotel with seemingly hundreds of people coming and going so expect to wait a long time to check in, again, kind of like Las Vegas.

I really don't have a lot to say about the hotel. I think most people stay for conventions. I can't see the draw in terms of going there for a destination stay. There is a reservoir, a rather large one, and the Texas Motor Speedway isn't too far away, but other than that, can't see the attraction. Might be a good place to stay on a cross-country trip as one is passing through. Good for getting a feel for "Texas big."

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hotel/resort is top notch. Everything very clean and well run. Attention to detail is amazing, yet the presence of staff doing the upkeep unobtrusive. We went for an overnight "romance package" and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We went right after the Memorial Day weekend, so the place had quieted down no doubt from the busy weekend, and we practically had the place to ourselves. The pools are very nice, fitness room well equipped, and the Springs pool area a nice little escape. Rooms have the usual amenities. The room we were in had the bathtub/toilet separate from the dressing/sink area, which is nice. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

The Atrium view, patio, and suite size room is what I enjoyed most about the Texan. Like most Gaylord properties, this hotel is pretty big. When you stay here you also get access to the water park on site and the Glass Cactus night club. The Glass Cactus in located on the lake and a great place to get away from the convention and hotel side. There is also a grand screen in the Texan bar in the hotel, a great place to watch the game, and enjoy the visit. Even though this place is so big, they still take time to do the small things. Everyday the cleaning staff left a hand written note thanking me for my stay, and they keep the place very clean. They offer several options for airport travel, and for getting to offsite restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This resort was gorgeous.

The access to the Convention Center was great. It rained for the majority of my trip but the walkway to the Convention Center is completely covered so that was not an issue.

The rooms are very spacious and the staff was very attentive and eager to assist you with anything that you need.

The spa was very nice and relaxing but the staff was not very attentive. The indoor pool was very nice and relaxing since the majority of guests preferred the outdoor pool.

The restaurants inside of the hotel were not very delicious so we ended up eating at the sports bar where the food quality was better. There is one coffee shop that was rarely open past 11 am but was very affordable but there was a sandwich shop located across the atrium which was extremely pricy for the sandwiches and quiches they served.

Only low point was the day we checked out, after a wonderful swim in the indoor pool, upon returning to our room, our water was completely out for both the sinks and shower. After 3 phone calls we were informed that an "engineer" would be sent and we waited for almost 4 hours (still unable to shower) but never showed up. Upon checkout and speaking with the manager they were very attentive and very apologetic for my discomfort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!