“Nice Resort!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #14 of 18 hotels in Grapevine
OKC
“Nice Resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was my family's first time to stay at the Gaylord Texan. My first impression was how beautiful the lobby and atrium were. The entire resort is beautiful and well kept, and our room was very clean. We did get lost on the first night while trying to find the elevator to get to our room, but after that it was easy to find our way around the resort. The staff was very helpful and the maid service was quick and efficient. There were a few cons because we have two special needs kids in our family. First is the fact that in order to self park you have to find a spot in the parking garage and walk a long way to the front desk (traveling with 2 non-verbal autistic). The parking is also very expensive even if you don't use valet. Another con was the price of the food in all of the restaurants and the long wait times to be seated. Again, since we were traveling with special needs kids the restaurant wait times were too much for us. We actually left the resort to find a McDonalds so our kids could eat and enjoy a nice quiet dinner with the family. This resort would be perfect for a couple (very romantic) or a family with older children. It is overall a wonderful resort, just not for our family with special needs!

2,091 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Polish first
Austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were staying at Great Wolf Lodge but wanted to visit the Gaylord . The public areas are indeed very nice inside and lovely. We had lunch at the Tex Mex Restaurant on the Riverwalk because they will validate your parking if you eat at the hotel.

We were very disappointed in the meal. My fajitas were overpriced for a small portion of food ($17). The kids meals were ridiculously expensive - ($8.49 each) for just plain food like grilled cheese, chicken nuggets, and fries.

This was Tex Mex that maybe someone who doesn't eat Tex Mex would enjoy, but if you're from Texas, just avoid this place. The rice was dry and unflavorful and the fajitas and tacos were nothing special. The beans were the best part of the meal, but it was more of a soup with just a few beans thrown in. Unfortunately, our waiter seemed resentful to have to be there, but every other staff we saw seemed friendly.

Last impression: this seems like a lovely hotel for adults, but I don't think we'll stay here if we bring children.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Norman, Oklahoma, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was our second stay at the Gaylord Texan and my fifth stay at a Gaylord property. I always love the exceptional service, cleanliness and overall experience I get when staying at one of their properties. Of course it is more expensive than other hotels, but it is always worth it. That is until this recent stay in Texas. We returned for my son and his friend's birthday celebration. The hotel was beautifully decorated as always and we had a great "buy one night get one free" birthday package. This was well worth it since we had a large suite! The ice experience and snow tubing were fun as always but that is where the amazing experience we were used to ended. Mariott has recently taken over this property and although we are Marriott rewards members and frequently choose Marriott, we will have to think long and hard before returning to this property. Our first disappointment came at dinner the first night. We cancelled our dinner reservations at a favorite restaurant to have more time in the hotel....indoor pool etc. We went to the sports bar themed restaurant. We had eaten here on our previous stay and had great food and service. This night was just the opposite. While our waiter was very apologetic and helpful, the food was disappointing and we waited over an hour for our food! We had 7 children who were starving! Their reasoning was only one central kitchen for every restaurant and room service. If that is true, I think they need to make a change! It was not a problem before but they definitely could not keep up this time. The next surprise came when we went back to the suite to set up for bed (after missing out on many activities due to our food wait). We told them when we booked there would be 6 people in the suite and they said no problem! The suite holds 6 people. I also confirmed this when I called the day before to double check everything. Well, I am not sure where 6 people were supposed to sleep, but the room only had a king bed and sofa sleeper. By my calculations, that is room for 4....not 6! A very sweet bellman brought up 2 rollaway beds for the other boys and told us there would not be a charge for them. However, when I received my bill, I had been chared $50 for the beds! If you have enough space for 6 people then say that, but let people know the room only sleeps 4 and that rollaway beds will have to be rented at a charge if 6 people will be staying! The front desk did take the charge off, but I believe they should be upfront in the first place! It seemed very deceiving.

My next disappointment was with the front desk, security and reservation workers. We were traveling with another family and needed the rooms to be adjoining or close to help with the children. I expressed this when booking months before while it was still managed by Gaylord and they said it would be easy to link the rooms. Just have the other family give our confirmation number and they would link us together. However, when my friend called, it was under Marriott management and they said that was not possible due to security. I then decided to wait and call the day before and try again. I was once again told the same thing and they said rooms were on a first come basis so check in together. We hurried after school to leave and made sure we arrived at the same time. We were given adjoining rooms and presented ourselves as one group. We thought everything was fine until the next day. One of the kids got sick and was unable to attend Six Flags Holiday in the Park with us. The other father stayed behind with him. We had closed the adjoining doors and locked all electronics (ipads, computers etc) in the suite. We thought we would be together the whole time and did not divide the 2 rooms keys up. We later realized the only key this dad had was to the smaller adjoining room. He could not get into the suite where all of the food and games were stored. I called the front desk and was told they would unlock the door for him. Great! WRONG! 3 hours later the doors were still not unlocked. I called back and the girl was very apologetic and said she would send someone right away. Wrong again! An hour later I called and was told the dad had to go to the front desk so he did. The desk said they would not give him a key but that security would be right up to do it. When I called a 4th time, they said my friend was lying to me and that they could not let him in. I asked for a manager and was given to security instead. After getting the run around from them I was furious! I finally got to speak to the security manager who ended up being very helpful. I knew the name of the person wanting in and I could verify all information on our account to prove who I was. I even offered to tell them exactly what was in the suite and where it was located! This is exactly why I wanted the rooms linked in the first place. This kind manager let the very hungry and very bored 9 year old in the suite to get something to eat and do. It was just ridiculous that I had to waste all of my time at Six Flags dealing with this!

The new Marriott management seemed very unorganized and not capable of handling the amount of people staying in this large hotel. They were also never on the same page about anything! We saw this when dealing with bellman, front desk, reservations, security, valet and restaurant workers. It makes me sad to write such a negative review, but I hope it will help Mariott step up and make this the great hotel Gaylord left it!

Wichita Falls, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Break out your wallets, folks! If you want to see a really pretty atrium, visit for the day but don't waste your money on a room. We went for a New Years Eve ball that was really fun. Good food (albeit a buffet) and fun band. The Gala was $300/per couple. Ok, pricy, but fun. The mistake we made was spending another $350 for a room for the night ($289 + $70 IN ROOM TAXES)!!!! Wish we had gone to the party then grabbed a quick cab ride to a Holiday Inn express.
1. Tiny rooms (barely enough room for the rollaway bed they provided for our son... This was after I rearranged all the furniture because the bellboy just kind of pushed it into our room and walked off!)
2. I haven't experienced such a poor shower since I showered in an RV in college!
3. Our King size bed felt like something out of a Flintstones' cartoon with 3 whole little pillows! It was rock hard

5 stars, my butt. Do not waste your money until these hotel owners quite lining their pockets and invest some of YOUR money into bringing their rooms into the 21st century.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Since we had been to this hotel during the summer and had a great time at the new pool area, my husband and I took our children over New Year's this year. The Ice exhibit and snow tubing were okay, but WAY overpriced. Also, the entire hotel was a mob scene it was so crowded. I got the feeling that most of the people there were not guests since the snow tubing and ICE are open to the public. We had to wait in line for snow tubing behind several daycares. daycares. To me, one of the perks of staying at a "resort" is that the activities are usually reserved for "resort" guests. To me, the only thing "resort-y" about the Gaylord Texan is their prices. Food is overpriced, activities are overpriced, etc. The food is very average for the price. We all ordered hamburgers from the Texan Station and the meal was over $100. The wait staff were none too excited to be there, as well. Just overall an unhappy feeling, again, not like I have come to expect from a "resort". The rooms leave a little to be desired for a "resort" as well. We could hear the people on either side of us talking (and they were using normal volume), so I'm sure our kids drove them nuts as well. The staff did not seem like staff I've run into at other resorts I've stayed at. They didn't smile and did not acknowledge us unless we went up to them with a question. I tried to make conversation with a staffer helping us in the gingerbread decorating line and she was all "yes/no" answers and acted almost like I was bothering her. The indoor pool was FREEZING. The temperature in the room of the pool was the same as the rest of the hotel - probably around 68 - 72 degrees.

I definitely would not go back this time of year. After this experience, even the summer is "iffy" just due to the cost vs. the return on the investment. Agree with other posts that we would go to Great Wolf Lodge.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Relaxing time to view indoor Christmas lights and decorations right after Christmas. Saw the Madagascar "Ice!" exhibit. Ate at the Shrek character breakfast with adult kids! Still fun! Stayed only one night. It is becoming a family tradition.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lone Star section overlooking the outside pool. Very peaceful. Have stayed in the s...
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed at the Gaylord Texan over the New Year's holiday with my family, my brother's family, and my parents.

The kids had fun at the Shrek character breakfast and the How to Train Your Dragon experience. We also went to the ICE event which was nice, and I'm sure it was incredibly difficult and expensive to create, but not sure it was worth standing in 10 degree temperatures for half an hour. My younger son, 2, fell asleep during the introductory movie and then I had to carry him asleep through the thing which admittedly that colored my view of the attraction. My older son, 5, seemed to have fun on the ice slide. The snow tubing was not as fun, even my 5 year old only wanted to do it once, instead of the 5 times that are included in the price, and then he wanted to go back to the room. Both our boys really liked all the Christmas decorations and train sets that were displayed in the atrium.

The service at the Italian restaurant left something to be desired. We were certainly at large group, with 12 total people and 6 of them kids, but the place did not look like it was unaccustomed to kids. My dad, who paid for the everyone's dinner at the Italian restaurant, never even got his food and finally just told the waiter to cancel his order. At the Mexican restaurant we were not told that the buffet is only for a certain portion of the restaurant that we were not seated in - that would have been nice to know before we sat down. The waiter at the Mexican place was very good though, and quick to fill our drinks, orders, chips, etc. The food at the Italian place was good, I thought the Mexican food was only okay. The breakfast buffet at the Mexican place the next morning was pretty good though the selection was pretty limited.

The rooms were nice and clean and the interior balcony view of the atrium was nice. While I realize that the crowds at hotels during New Years can be a bit rowdy, I could have done without the two hookers yelling at each other at 4 am in the room next door. I know they were hookers because of their very loud and very detailed conversation. Another oddity was that there were often long lines at the elevators to get to the rooms.

Overall I thought the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Not sure I would go back though, particularly on a really busy holiday like New Years Eve. If I ever find myself back in Grapevine I'll probably try the Great Wolf lodge next door.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!