“Groupon from Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 nightly credit
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Austin, Texas
“Groupon from Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Amazing resort, top notch from parking to night club. Our suite even had a Keurig coffee maker with plenty of K-cups on hand. Totally a family friendly resort but has everything Adults will love.
Only knock I have has nothing to do with the Gaylord but Highway improvements in the works makes getting there a bit trying. Well worth the extra effort though and if you like your room blacked out in the mornings, you'll love it!

Room Tip: Suites are the rooms to have and have a sleeper couch if you'd like to share your space. Higher...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Polish first
Tyler, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I took my sister on a special weekend away from kids, etc. I knew it would be beautiful and top notch, but what I didn't expect was the wonderful relaxed atmosphere. The room was very comfortable and we enjoyed each eatery and the spa was above any spa we had experienced prior to this one. Yes, there are additional parking and resort fees, which we were prepared for after reading reviews...they are worth it and we got quite a special on the room, so it wasn't an issue. I am returning with my husband in April for our Anniversary and to watch the Texas Rangers on the 52 foot TV in the sports bar!

Room Tip: We chose the basic room and requested an outside balcony. It was great. Overlooked the lake.There ar...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Tyler, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We loved our spring break weekend. Lots to do, great staff and accomodations and the best italian food I have eaten in ages at Zeppoles. We will go again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I would go here again. I traveled for here for work recently. When I walked in the lobby I felt that I was at some big lodge out west. My room was ready when I got there and it was clean. The whole hotel was clean. The staff was wonderful. The ladies that cleaned my room left me a note that said, "Have a wonderful day," it was hand written. During breakfast (provided by the meeting planners) I asked if they had apple juice and the reply was, "This is the Gaylord we never say No." I was very happy with my stay.

The pool is also very nice. I had a great time relaxing by the pool prior to my meeting. They also have a small "water park." I did not go there however you pass it on your way in to the hotel.

The only negatives are the food is expensive, the walls are thin, and in the words of baby bear the bed was too hard.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the inside of the hotel. My room had an outside view of the lake (not a lot to lo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Banner ad on front page of website proudly proclaimed: Paradise Springs open for Spring Break on March 9th! Oklahoma has their Spring Break the following week and we booked a room based on availability of the water park only to find out when we arrived Sunday the 18th that the waterpark was not open again until 3PM that Friday. According to Angela Mitchum, manager on duty we should have looked at hours of operation and we would have seen this. In the meantime, we had an inconsolable 7 year old and the hotel offered nothing but a 200.00 resort credit on a 7 night stay in their deluxe suite, equating to about 4% back to compensate us for our daughter missing the waterpark she came for for 85% of the stay.
Virtually every other guest we encountered had a similar story, but we heard that many guests in far less expensive rooms had received compensation far above what we received.
It is clear that this was a major catastrophe for the Gaylord. They should have put something in the banner ad on the front page linking people to days open so they could make an informed decision about their destination. Instead they simply stated upon complaint that it was the guests responsibility to check the "Hours of Operation". Why would I need to see the hours?, I trusted that it would be open a reasonable period of time through the day? Little did I know that hours of operation meant "DAYS OF OPERATION!!!!"

The suite was spacious, but dated. Carpets were very stained. The bed was one of the worst I've had in a hotel. My wife resorted to sleeping on the pull out couch in living room and it seemed to have a tempurpedic mattress in it. She said it was a LOT more comfortable than the bed in the room and I agree. I still have a significant backache. Quality of furniture was far below what a 399 a night suite would normally entail. Television cut in and out like a satelite in the rain, but there was no rain. This continued throughout our stay. We had one remote for two TVs and three requests for another went unanswered. Multiple requests for towels and bedding went unanswered. Room service was polite and courteous, but not a single meal was as ordered. On one meal we ordered bananas foster and received crem brule'. They corrected it by bringing vanilla cheesecake! PRICELESS! To be fair, they finally brought the correct desert along with complimentary ice cream. Three times did the trick. The restaurants in the hotel are subpar. The mexican restaurant is particularly bad with chips that kind of fall apart in your mouth. All restaurants were VASTLY overpriced as it seemed everything was in this hotel. Every area seems to be a significant profit center.
My daughter did love the Kobe Hotdogs on pretzel buns and I have to agree.
The outdoor pool that my daughter was forced to use in place of a waterpark was nice but was not heated at all. The hot tub was full of dirt and leaves most of the time and guests had to pretty much clean it by hand themselves to get the debris out.
The indoor pool was very nice, was saltwater and very relaxing. It is actually air conditioned, which is rare for indoor pools.
When Friday finally arrived, we had to wait in line to get our arm bands for the waterpark, which should have been provided us on checkin (their excuse was the waterpark was closed when we checked in :) awesome!
You have to take a bus to the waterpark, which is fine. Upon arriving at the waterpark and being first people in the gate on Friday we tried to reserve a cabana. First they had problems with the credit card machine, so I offered them cash and they continued to try to run the credit card! 15 minutes later with people behind us getting irate because all they wanted was an armband, she decides to abandon the card, take the cash and we were on our way. The park is small, but clean. one slide, one general pool and a lazy river is really about it. The cabanas are very nice but very pricey at around 100.00 for a small one.
The restaurant at the waterpark is way overpriced 2 hotdogs and fries and a fruit plate with small drinks were almost 50 bucks and they won't let you bring your own food or beverage so you're locked in to theirs if you want anything.
The valet was super prompt, our car never took longer than 5 minutes to get and they were always there to hold the door.

We had to extend our stay one day so my daughter could get just two days at the waterpark where she thought she had 6 days. I offered a comped night at the end of our stay in lieu of the 200.00 resort credit but was denied by Ms. Mitchum who said that we could have reviewed the hours of operation if we had wanted to. She also said that the waterpark was an amenity and was not guaranteed as to availability.

To summarize, our family will not be returning to the Gaylord and we cannot recommend it to anyone. We felt like we were reasonable in what we felt just compensation should be for something that many other guests had experienced as well but the hotel disagreed and so for now we will remain former Gaylord Resort guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from elevators and ice machines/coke machines. Our wall adjoined an elevato...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
GaylordTexanFeedback, Manager at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. While we did have the dates that our resort pool complex would be open for operation during spring break, we do apologize for the confustion. We also apologize for the other aspects that made your stay less than enjoyable. This is certainly not the type of experience that we want any of our guests to have with us at the Gaylord Texan.

Please contact us directly, and we will be happy to discuss your stay in detail with you again.

Thank you.
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

The resort is beautiful, as it should be, however the services are disappointing and extra costs are unnecessary. We went there to celebrate our wedding anniversary and were disappointed with the level of polish this place had. For a 4 Diamond resort I would expect more. The room itself was lacking with the extremely hard bed and the cheap-looking shower head, we had a better room for half the money at the NYLO in Plano. We went to Texas Station twice while we were there and no one waited on us either time so we left. We went to get coffee and breakfast at Java Coast in the morning and ordered an english muffin with egg, etc. We got the muffin and it looked JUST like the english muffin I get at 7-11 except this one was $6, it still had both stickers on it and you could tell the microwaved it. If you're going to screw people over, at least make it pretty...

We got our bill when we were leaving and there was a $200 "enhanced stay" charge on it, we called down to the front desk and suprisingly "it shouldn't have been on there", makes me wonder how many people have not looked at their bill and been forced to pay that even when they had no "enhanced stay".

Our final disappointment came when we were leaving, we decided to go check out the Paradise Springs park but drove over there because we were also checking out that day. We got there only to discover that the only way you can come to the park is if you take the shuttle from the hotel unless you want to pay $20 to valet park. Yeah, not going to happen.

Overall we were very disappointed with the Gaylord and our stay there, I'm not sure if we will ever go back or if we will recommend this hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
GaylordTexanFeedback, Manager at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Thank you for providing your feedback from your recent stay with us. We apologize for the difficuties that you experienced with our food and beverage outlets, as well as the mistake with your guest room account. This is certainly not the way that we intend for our guests to be treated while they are with us.

While we do have shuttles that run continuously from the hotel to Paradise Springs, the parking spaces at the pool are reserved for those guests that have rented cabanas for the day, and their guests. I apologize for any miscommunication that may have taken place regarding those spots.

We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to hear all the details of your stay. Please feel free to contact us, and we would be happy to discuss your experiences with you directly.

Thank you.
Grapevine, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Even though we live in Grapevine, we thought it would be fun to spend the 4th of July holiday weekend at the Gaylord. It was particularly hot and we were excited to check out the new Paradise Springs water park. We got a very good rate directly through the website. Of course, since it was a holiday weekend, it was incredibly crowded!!! I noticed this right away when I had to wait in an incredibly long line to check in. To their credit, the check-in process was efficient. We would end up facing the same incredibly long line to check out, so we opted for the self-serve kiosk to check out. Efficient, yes, but then what am I paying for if I’m doing the work?

The resort itself is really nice. The atrium area is very pretty and there are several restaurants. We were completely satisfied with our room, although the shower head could use an upgrade. It wasn’t extravagant, but we thought it was comfortable. As mentioned by another reviewer, Paradise Springs is quite small. We got up early and hopped the shuttle bus, getting there before it even opened. Still, there was a line to get in and we were far enough back that we didn’t get a “primo” spot, but we did get something under an umbrella, so we were satisfied with that. The lazy river was very, very, VERY crowded all day long! It really doesn’t feel like the area is big enough for the size of the resort, but maybe if you decide to go when it’s not a holiday weekend, there would be less people there. We had no luck at the pool located at the resort either. We never found a chair there all weekend in spite of trying several times at several different times of day.

We ate at two of the restaurants – Riverwalk Cantina (Tex-Mex) and Zeppole (Italian). The food was fine, but definitely overpriced due to the convenience factor. If you have a car, there are better restaurants in Grapevine that are more reasonably priced. We also went over to the Glass Cactus, which is really fun. Be sure to take your ID – they card everyone.

Overall, I suppose I left there with mixed emotions. It is a beautiful resort and worth a visit. However, we were disappointed that it felt so small and crowded, even though it looks huge!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!