“Great for business travel - not sure I'd pick it for vacation.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 nightly credit
Ranked #14 of 18 hotels in Grapevine
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great for business travel - not sure I'd pick it for vacation.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I had a business meeting at the Gaylord for a day and a half. It felt almost like being at a Vegas casino or huge beach resort rather than being in the middle of Texas! So that was a nice unusual twist for a business trip.
Rooms were clean, large, average amenities.
Staff I encountered were all very pleasant and extremely helpful from the front desk, to the car/taxi service, and restaurant staff. The airport shuttle is a good deal compared to the car service, but if you're running late for a flight, approx $35 for the car service that leaves immediately will win out over the $12 shuttle that you might have to wait up to 25 minutes for (it goes every 30 minutes).
Food served in the hotel ballroom for our meeting was above average for hotel food.
This would be a great place to go back for another meeting, but seemed a little too crowded for my tastes for vacation. There is a theme park and water park nearby, but I'm not sure I'd want to mix a family trip with a bunch of business travelers.

Room Tip: Outside rooms do not all have a good view!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

2,099 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011 via mobile

This is a huge hotel/convention center, with an enclosed courtyard and lots of good places to eat, but the quality of service makes it feel smaller than it is. Just be prepared for long walks to and from your room to the other areas of the property!

• Stayed June 2011
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The lazy river is a nice touch and different from your typical hotel pool experience. The food is good and the service is attentive. Very friendly staff - I highly recommend this location for business events.

Bethlehem, PA, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I recently stayed at the Gaylord for 5 nights in early June for my company's annual conference & expo. I had visited the hotel once in 2007 for the day just to see what it looked like, and let me tell you, it is just as pristine and immaculate 4 years later. The hotel is no doubt beautiful, very well decorated, and eye pleasing. It is also HUGE! The newly opened water park is a fabulous addition to an already well-equipped resort. There are plenty of restaurants to eat at, but beware, they are all quite pricey. (Actually, pretty much everything at the hotel is pricey...) The convention center is one of the biggest and best I've seen. My biggest complaint would be the "Biodome" feeling you will no doubt experience after a few days staying here. I began to forget what the outside feels like, and I longed for the world beyond the large glass windows. If you stay here, make sure you have a car or some form of transportation so you can get out a bit, otherwise you might go stir-crazy. The reason for my "average" rating in this review is a bad experience I had with my hotel room. This may be an isolated incident, but there was a terrible sewage odor that emitted from my bathroom and a strange "swooshing" noise that would constantly be coming from the toilet. I called down to the front desk 4 times over the course of my stay, and each time they assured me someone would come take a look at the problem. The only people they EVER sent to the room was the cleaning staff. It was not a problem of the bathroom being dirty, it was clearly a plumbing issue. Thank goodness for the time I spent in the convention center because I was able to primarily use those toilets - but showering in my room was NOT a good experience due to the smell. Luckily, being there for a conference, I didn't have to spend a lot of time in my room, but if I was there for pleasure, this would have been a complete deal breaker. Also, as far as rooms go, pay for a room with an atrium view/balcony - It's worth the extra money. Overall, it is a great resort, I would just encourage people to get out a bit and explore the Dallas/Grapevine area, there are lots of things to do outside the "Biodome".

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

With nearly 900 rooms, i arrived so late with my guaranteed reservation that there was no room at the inn...they were sold out. I was moved to another hotel at 130 am and told to come back tomorrow. While I wasn't exactly happy with the situation, what can you do? I was sent to the nearby Hilton complete with a noisy A/C and shower that flooded the bathroom when used. There was also no rooms available when I arrived back the next day. The idea of some sort of compensation was beyond their comprehension so I suggested one, which initially met with resistance. But we all know resistance is futile. Eventaully, during one of my morning meetings there, the room was ready. And they sent an amenity to ease the pain. But, they shouldn't have had to be prompted to make a concession.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

the daily resort fee is bit much as was at a convention. A very large themed hotel with a mini Riverwalk, alamo and life sized stiffed cow. the restaurants and bars were a bit characterless although the staff were friendly and pleasant.

a little like being in the Truman show with air conditioned fake outside under the huge dome.

Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I loved ths hotel and wrote a previous review on how good the food, service, cleanliness of the rooms were and how awesome the hotel was. But i feel obligated to come back here and post a very big message about being careful about the billing. Especially if you are on a budget. If you are one of those people that dont look at your bill until you get home then expect to pay double or triple for your trip. I read about this on a review before I went so I was very careful to do several things to save myself from the rip off that does come when you get your bill.

They have a summerfest package right now that covers the resort fee, self parking, and free breakfast. Let me say quickly here the breakfast was amazing buffet on the weekends with tips and drinks included with the free. Ok back on topic. So of course we were billed for every breakfast at 50-80 dollars each meal for a family of four even thought it was supposed to be free, we were billed for valet every day although we self parked which was free with the package, and the resort fee for those not on the package is 16.44 not 15 dollars.

I purposely used three different credit cards during my stay to keep them from ripping me off. I used one card for the room at the front desk. Know that they will put a 50 dollar a night hold on that card. Plus every day they add another 40-70 dollar hold on top of that. For three nights I ended up with a $310.00 hold on that card. I used a card that had only 400 dollars available on it so that they could not go crazy. I am keeping my fingers crossed now that I am home that they will release that hold timely.

I used a second card to pay for all food drinks souvenirs etc because when I idid go dispute my bill at the front desk the first thing they wanted to say is oh you must have billed something to your room. Which I said no I have used a seperate card for all my purchases it gave them no wiggle room on why there was the additional holds put on my room card. They tell you the hold will be 150 but its actually 300 for 3 nights that i mentioned above..

I used a third card for all my expenses outside the hotel. Such as there is a long line of restaurants on 26 just outside the hotel that were cheaper and very good, plus grapevine mills mall a great place to shop. i would recommend seeing a movie there they serve food and drinks during the movie it was awesome experience my kids loved. I bring this third card up because the front desk was quick to say i must have charged other activities in the area to the credit card i put on hold and not all transactions would show up until i got home. Which was more bogus stuff for them to make excuses with.

You can check your bill in your room on the tv. So I carefully kept track of every charge and kept every receipt. The morning of checkout I went down early around 8 and went throught the bill with the front desk. They quickly removed the valet charges and the breakfast charges, but dodged some on the additional room holds saysing I had charged stuff to the room. Once I told them about my seperate credit card and showed them my receipts they did remove all charges. We ate breakfast and checked out.

Of course i get home and see I am charged for that last breakfast. I called the hotel and got the dreaded the accounting dept will have to help you they will call you in several days message. I am keeping my finger crossed that I will be able to recover my 310 dollars on hold and another 50 on breakfast. So after all that careful planning they still have me tied up for four hundred dollars on top of my bill.

Something that did bother me as a former waitress in my college days is how the waitstaff is tipped. On the summerfest package with the free breakfast the tip is included in the bill and is free to you but the waitstaff only get 8 dollars a table and the bill for a family of four runs from 40-80 dollars. Weekdays you order from the menu on the weekends its buffet. At Texan station we ate there twice we tipped the waitress and on our credit card we were only billed for the meal not including tip. How does the poor waitress who was excellent by the way get their tip if we were never charged for it.
I did keep all my reciepts and asked the front desk about this and they just swept it under the rug. One meal being about 60 dollars we left a 12 dollar tip which is average because the food was excellent and the waitress was very very good she made our dining experience wonderful going out of her way to make the kids feel great. But that tip never showed up so I dont believe she received it.

The hotel is absolutely amazing and awesome. I had no problems with service, hearing loud noises in the room, cleanliness, or food quality. If they could just get their billing straight it would be a great place to stay.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
, Manager at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. While I am glad to hear that your stay was enjoyable, I deeply apologize for the billing difficulties that you have encountered. This is certainly not the type of experience that we intend for our guests to have while staying at the Gaylord Texan. Please feel free to contact us directly at Texanfeedback@gaylordhotels.com, and we will be happy to ensure that everthing has been corrected.

Thank you.

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!