“OK steak but good service” 4 of 5 stars

817-481-5555
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bob's Steak and Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 189 Restaurants in Grapevine
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highway 114
Welwyn, England, United Kingdom
“OK steak but good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Went for dinner while in the Dallas area with work with a colleague.

No starter but nice New York Strip, couple of sides. I asked for a local beer as I always do and the waitress knew something about the beer they sold!

Good service and nice atmosphere as busy but not crazy.

Visited October 2013

Argyle, Texas
“Steak is good but Duck is great!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have never had duck that tasted as good. One of my all time favorite meals. The steaks are great but you can't find great duck anywhere else. The service is second to none. They train the wait staff very well. Throw in a cigar and cognac at the end and you have the perfect man night out.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Southlake, Texas
“Never Again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Don't go. My story follows. Service was terrible. Wine dishonest??? Salads were poor. Steaks were not cooked to order and cold. We left. Never again.

As Bob's had been one of our favorite places, my wife made reservations 3 weeks in advance and informed them that this was our 39th wedding anniversary. She was hoping for special treatment. WE DID RECIEVE THE TREATMENT!

Three weeks in advance gets you the VERY BACK of the restaurant. I am speculating but perhaps they like a younger crowd. At 60, we should not be seen.

Our wine experience came first. I ordered a Stag Leap's Cab and was brought another I had never heard of and informed they were out of Stag's Leap and this was just as good. First of all, can't they go to a grocery store or change the wine list or at least let me make the substitute decision? I asked for the wine list and the waitress acted as if I was causing problems. The substitute was not on the list. When I ordered another at a lesser value but a very good wine, she looked at me in distain.

She did bring the wine.

We have both enjoyed Bob's salads in the past. I liked the Caesar and my wife the Chopped. Our salads were very different. They had cut the size and the quality. I had to ask for anchovies and the waitress could not promise that she could provide them.

We finished our salads and began our wait.

Our waitress did say at some point that there might be some confusion in the kitchen.

We finished our wine, the whole bottle. My wife thinks it was a full hour since they cleared our salad plates. I would estimate 45 minutes.

I ask the busboy to see the manager since our waitress is now circulating the globe to avoid us.

The manager indicated she would investigate and returned in two minutes with our order. My wife 's was acceptable. My Medium Rare KC Strip was Well Done (My wife said it might pass for Medium Well) but I told the manager I would eat it. She told me they were "comping" the meal. I told her this was a special occasion and that was not what we were here for and she shrugged. When I asked about the accompaniments for the baked potatoes and she left to get them, I then
tried the "ICE COLD" steak.

It was at that point that we both agreed we had had enough. We left.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Not as good as it used to be.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Bob's is just not the same as the original on Lemon used to be. Others have mentioned it, but the the dress code is about equal to McDonald's and I am not the kind of person that usually cares. That said, the service when we went last week is still good, the bar is great (especially if you have smokers in your group), and the decor is good.

But... Let's talk about the food.

The steaks are probably still prime, but not the ultra-prime that they claim. I promise if you go to Costco and buy a prime ribeye it will be a better piece of meat. Of course any of us can cheat a little by dipping a steak in drawn butter. All I can say is that they used to have better meat or maybe just a better meat buyer. Also, we always have at least one person at our table that doesn't get their meat cooked to the right temperature or its cold. Kind of irritating since they take so long to remake.

The carrot is on every plate and good, just very sweet. Once again take a steamed carrot and dip it in syrup and it will be good. I imagine a big toe would be good dipped in syrup also.

The salad and apps. are good. Everyone in my group really enjoyed them.

We always get a couple of the sides. The potatoes are goodish. The vegetables are just so/so and not well seasoned. Nothing unique or memorable in this category. Skip these and it will help keep the bill down.

Deserts are good, although I can't imagine who would have room for more than one bite.

Bottom line, at about $100 a person, using all the fat, butter, and calories in the world, a restaurant should be able to deliver a truly sinfully good product. They used to, but it seems corporate ownership has taken some toll.

Worth a read: http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/restaurants/headlines/20110216-restaurant-review-bobs-steak-and-chop-house-3-stars-.ece

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Texas
“Great place to meet and eat.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Bob's has a great bar and the restaurant is set up to give you an intimate feel with low lighting and good wait staff. The food here is always good.

Visited August 2013