“When did ball caps and flip flops become OK?” 2 of 5 stars

817-481-5555
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bob's Steak and Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 189 Restaurants in Grapevine
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highway 114
Southlake, Texas
“When did ball caps and flip flops become OK?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I dined here recently for a special occasion, and it also was my first time at Bob's. I've heard a LOT from people in the area about how it's the best steakhouse around, so I decided to give it a shot.

Making a reservation online was easy enough, and our table was ready when we arrived. The parking situation could use improvement, as there's really no need for required valet when the lot is adjacent to the front door.

The first thing I thought of when entering was that the noise level was a bit loud for what I'd consider fine dining. The huge bar was overloaded with patrons and you really needed to speak up to be heard at your table.

Wine list is a nice mix of traditional picks with some unexpected surprises. Hats off to the wine buyer for doing a nice job here. Our server was very cordial and struck a good balance between attentive and overbearing.

Then things went a bit downhill, and while it's not necessarily the fault of the restaurant, they can probably fix it. I've been in a lot of fine restaurants, and typically you will see people dressed appropriately, and conducting themselves well. Unfortunately, Bob's has a very liberal approach to dress code that seriously diminishes the experience. We were surrounded by tables of people wearing ball caps (wearing while eating? REALLY?), and later a group of guys straight out of The Hangover came in wearing shorts, flip flops and hawaiian shirts.

Now, if Bob's wants to position itself as a casual steak place, then go for it. But please don't try to be fine dining, and allow this stuff to pass as OK. Especially when you're charging well over $100 a plate, all-in.

I doubt we'll be back, mostly because I can't balance the cost of the meal against the atmosphere.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Davis, Oklahoma
“Steak and Lobster was wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The steak was cooked perfect and the lobster was......devine! Our waiter was very good and the atmosphere was a bit upscale for me, but worth it! Price's were average. About $32 - $50 for a salad, steak, lobster with potatoes and a candied carrot. Dessert was average. It made go mmmmmmm!

I would go back but I'd find a more relaxed cowboy type steakhouse next go round.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Always a great evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Went to Bob's on a Monday night for dinner; no special occasion, just wanted a good glass of wine and a steak. We snagged a table in the bar, which was quiet except for a few other corporate happy hour guests which was fine except they smoked a lot of cigarettes! Our waitress, Isabell, was excellent. She was attentive but not intrusive. We were disappointed the sommelier was off on Monday nights but ended up selecting a great Chilean wine. Bob's is a great destination any night of the week.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Texas
“one of the best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We went to Bobs for our 40th aniversery and as always the service and decor was impeccable. I did find my steak was a little tough but it tasted fine however it could have used more seasoning. You'll love the carrots even if you hate carrots. Very very nice people.

Visited April 2013
Corinth, Texas
“21st Birthday Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Took my daughter to Bob's for her 21 st. birthday. We received a great greeting from our arrival we were served our drinks and bread quickly. I had the salmon it was perfect. My daughter ordered the rack of Lamb med. rare it was also great, my husband had the bone in ribeye rare and was the best tasting bone in ribeye he has tasted he says it was even better than three forks..
The manager stopped by wishing my daughter a happy birthday and gave her a dessert on the house which she requested to go there was no room left. The only thing I would request next time would be not to have the glazed carrot added to my plate the glaze ran on my food and in my option did not work out. Give Bob' a try you will be impressed we were

• 5 of 5 stars Food