“Nice cabins, close to town” 3 of 5 stars

Dinosaur Trail Cabins and Cottages
2800 Highway 144 South, Granbury, TX 76048   |
Ranked #8 of 18 Granbury B&B and Inns
Dallas, TX
“Nice cabins, close to town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Pink Rose cabin we stayed in was very nice. It was quite adequate for two people. The cabins are a little too close to the highway for our taste. We could hear the traffic all night long on one of the major highways into the city. The breakfast was okay but not great. My husband was looking forward to counrtry cooking but we had a breakfast cassole. It was good but not what we expected. We had the place all to ourselves for one of the nights. That was good because the cabins are also very close together. It had a trail with worn out dinosaurs on it. The playground was a little worn out too. With a little TLC, I think kids would enjoy it more. I doubt we would go back there. But, if you need a cabin and don't mind the noise, it's okay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Irving, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Where can i start this is a mix review. We were really excited that we had found these cabins we had a little trouble finding them because there up on the hill and there sign not very big. When we got there had to call them so they could open cabin once in there it was SMALL for two adults and two children they offered the bigger cabin which was great. Once in there was greated with fruit basket brownies and drinks nice touch. Decor was outdated but cute in a way. No cable or internet. The location is great because its minutes from tourist attractions.. Then one morning was greated by a scropion in bath tub !! Needless to say we shook everything the whole time there! Breakfast was great i will say that. However beware of hidden costs! We were told it was a certain price and were charged $100.00 more we thought it was mistake so emailed and were told we were charged per kid! We forwarded the email that THEY HAD VERYFIED PRICE but would only return $20.00!! Im sorry but when you give a a price stick with it and if something changes be upfront don't just charge credit card.

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

We found the place on line and rented a cabin at the last minute. We were met by 1 of the owners who was very nice. The cabin was alot larger then we expected and very clean and inviting. The cabins arn't fancy but compared to other nice and expensive hotels that we have stayed in I give the cabins 5 stars! I have 2 teenagers and 2 small children and they loved it. Our cabin had toys, games and movies to keep the kids entertained plus a dinosaur trail and small playground that they loved. The trail isn't long but it's long enough to enjoy. I loved the prayer garden. Breakfast was a wonderful surprise. We had stuffed french toast, bacon and fruit prepared by one of the owners. We will definately be coming back.

• Stayed June 2012
Fairview, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We have a family of 6, and decided on Dinosaur Trail Cabins. The Jurassic Cabin was great, and sleeps 6 easily. The cabin and property were super clean. The Dinosaur trail was very nice and informative. For younger children, it it just the perfect fit. It is very easy to relax and enjoy the country air. We were amazed at Gary and Karlyne's hospitality. This is truly a Bed and "BREAKFAST!" Each morning the Breakfast was amazing! Gary even went out of his way to have a "fire-pit" brought to the property, so the kids could roast "smore's." Grandbury is such a neat place to visit, with plenty to do from the old town square, to the beach on lake Grandbury and the many great 'local' restaurants. Dinosaur Trail Cabins topped off the experience. Have a great time on your trip!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Zug, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We booked the Jurassic cabin as a spur-of-the-moment thing for ourselves and 3 young granddaughters. The entire stay was a delightful surprise. There is a trail right outside the back door of this cabin, with cheesy giant "dinosaurs" around every bend! The girls LOVED it. There was a little plaque with info about each dinosaur, which was actually educational and enjoyable at the same time. The breakfast was a little too "grown up" for the taste of my girls. My husband and I loved it, but it would have been a good idea to add some cereal or something kid-friendly. The breakfast casserole they had was delicious, mind you, but our girls, and the child of another couple in another cabin, didn't touch it. The owner was very nice, and everything else was perfect. We will be back!

Room Tip: The Jurassic cabin is the only one big enough for a family to be comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Allen, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

So there's not an incredible amount of information out there for this B&B, and frankly I knew I was taking a chance in planning our family trip here. But, I have a three year old son who likes dinosaurs, so why not?

Let me say right away that this is no Great Wolf Lodge or Hyatt on the Plaza. While all of the accomodations were clean and spacious to be sure, the amenities from the TV (only VHS!) to the croquet set were older units. The dinos along the trail were perfect for my three year old, but might disinterest some more inquisitive 9 or 10 year olds more quickly (we did the trail 7 or 8 times though, and probably more if it had been warmer!). Yet, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, as the age and simplicity of the items on hand brought their own quaintness to the environment, and really put the focus back to spending quality family time more so than anything. My wife and I were really able to relax and immediately feel at home in the Jurassic Cabin - not really something you feel in a sterile hotel room.

Most of all, Gary and Karylene are excellent hosts, and sharing breakfasts with them truly rounded out the experience for my family. They know about kids!! Had a high chair and a guardrail for the bed all ready to go for us! They are really sweet people that you just wish you could spend all day talking to.

All in all, if your family is especially picky or particular about top-of-the-line amenities or luxury in general, I would say this is not the place for you. But, if your family can enjoy a board game together, or a game of horseshoes on a well used set, or even watching Jurassic Park together on a 27" TV after admiring the models in Dinosaur World, I would say that Dinosaur Trail would appeal to you. We certainly are laid back and had an awesome time!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Dinosaur Trail over the 4th of July weekend. We drove four hours to get there, and even though I received a speeding ticket near Waco that glitch didn't diminish from the wonderful time! We stayed three nights, and the first night (Thursday, July 3rd) we were the only guests. This meant that we had wonderful personal service from our hosts. The homemade cookies and fruit were yummy and most welcome (I'll admit, we didn't eat a lot of fruit, and the cookies didn't last long).

We had excellent breakfasts that really started our day in the Granbury area. We stayed in the Cowboy cabin, which was stocked with Western movies, done up in a western motif, and even had a picture of The Duke on the nightstand. I even read The Working Cowboys Manual while I was there (while I haved lived in Texas for over 30 years, I was born in New York). The cabin was memorable and we loved it. We even watched Red River! We'd like to come back and try the Jurassic cabin next time. We hiked the dinosaur trail several times and enjoyed the beauty of the area.

Not even 100 degree temperatures could take away from the wonderful time we had! We had a fun and event-filled weekend that we didn't want to end.

• Liked — Christian atmosphere, gracious hosts.
  • Disliked — The only thing I can think of was proximity to a highway. It got a little noisy on the 4th of July.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Dinosaur Trail Cabins and Cottages? Share your experiences!