“Fantastic..!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6062 Hwy 16 South, Graham, TX 76450   |
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Graham
“Fantastic..!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

From the moment we arrived at the ranch it was more than we could have hoped for. The staff was friendly and accommodating and the ranch dogs Hoss and Ranger instantly put a smile on our faces. We were there with our two boys ages 13 and 12. This was THEIR kind of holiday. We enjoyed horseback riding with ranch hands Clint and Jeremy, who were two of the most polite young gentlemen around. We had the privilege of spending a full day with Jay as he took us on a jeep ride around the ranch. We fed the longhorns which was a tried and true Texas experience, and we had a go at archery as well. But hands down the highlight for the boys was the skeet shooting/clay shooting. Jay was not only knowledgeable but he was also so very patient, polite and kind . We could not have asked for a better guy to spend the day with. The dinners were spectacular and the all included breakfast made a good start to each day. We stayed in a cabin and it was absolutely perfect. It was large, clean, and rustic in its decor....perfect for the ranch. The sunsets were beautiful out on the back deck of the cabin. The stars at night did a fine job showcasing the big Texas sky. Our only regret is that we did not stay longer. We look forward to another trip to Texas and the Wildcatter Ranch.

Room Tip: I recommend the cabins for sure. Ask for a cabin with a west patio if you enjoy a lovely sunset.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed here for a few days during a cold March, but that didn't stop us having fun here. The staff made us very welcome, as was Hass the local dog who was chilling out in the sun. Our cabin was fantastic with great views over the wild west. We did wrap up and watched the sun go down from our rocking chairs and our complementary bottle of wine. The hot tub has amazing views too, and a great way to relax after a long drive to the ranch.

Each morning we went to feed the long horns, they are very friendly towards humans and aren't as intimidating as they look when you have their food. Jay, the cowboy, made us feel like one of the gang and was always making sure we were enjoying our stay.
Clint (another cowboy) took us on our horse ride and told us all about the history of the area, from the Native American Indians to when the white man came, to the oil boom, at first glance you could thing nothing has ever happened here, but this is far from the truth.

There is also a basketball court which you can bring your own ball or rent from the front desk for no charge, also a volleyball court, outdoor fitness course and hammocks. So lots to do after your activities.

However, the best highlight for me was the steaks in the restaurant, I can't recommend it enough.

All in all, a great few days away.

Room Tip: Go in a warmer time of year
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Plano, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

With our special needs kids at camp for Spring Break, my wife and I wanted to spend some time with our typical 16 year old daughter. Wildcatter was a great selection. West of Dallas/Ft. Worth, it offers the best 90 minute horseback trail ride I've ever been on, as well as reasonably priced archery and skeet shooting. We stayed in one of the cabins, which has a nice gas fireplace, which was plenty big for the three of us. Infinity pool was too cold to swim but the hot tub was heated and a nice break. Great staff brought on board for Spring Break. Free breakfast was good and filling and dinners at the steakhouse were excellent. Went into town one night to catch a movie at the old-style National Theater and ate at a great restaurant on the town square. Only negative is they claim spa activities, but not really. They have a massage therapist who will come out when scheduled.

Room Tip: Cabins with fireplace are great. Can't comment on rooms in the hotel but I'm sure they'...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Palestine, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was the second time I visited the Wildcatter for a business meal. It offers good meals, good scenery, and a great atmosphere. Our first visit was a little better. I couldn't tell if they'd had a management change or if it was an "off" night. The hotel looks nice and we wished we'd stayed there... Maybe next time!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Corinth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

It's a great opportunity to share the review of our stay - just one weekend apart from visitors that reported a lower rating of the experience - for the sake of comparison. My husband scheduled our stay at the Wildcatter ranch for our second wedding anniversary. We stayed the weekend of December 21-23 of 2012. When we arrived, we were greeted by a warm and efficient staff. We easily checked in and fell in love with our room which was on the end of one of the cabins - the bed was comfortable and HUGE - the fireplace was wonderfully romantic and the view was beautiful - I can only imagine what it would be like in the spring or fall - and we plan to see for ourselves!

We readied ourselves for our dinner reservation and were seated very soon. There were other famlies waiting to be seated, at the bar, or dining when we arrived. It had the feel of the holiday season. Our wait person Alex was top notch. He took great care to make sure we enjoyed our dining experience and had a special personal touch in getting to know us and helping us feel welcome. Dinner of course was excellent. I only wish I had saved room for dessert.

The next morning we went to feed the longhorns on the ranch. As opposed to another reviewer, we were relieved and excited to not have too many people there to contend with for reservations and activities - it gave us a chance to get to know the staff and ask all sorts of questions about the ranch and it's history which I assure you is more rich than most would imagine. Many of the staff possesses specialized expertise on a number of topics of interest related to the workings of a ranch, the history of the area, sport shooting and horsemanship, etc... - I prefer that kind of individual attention of such a personable staff rather than the socializing and shmoozing that the previous reviewer was apparently seeking from the experience.

We had a fantastic trail ride from Clint - he emphasized safety and was careful to address questions before or during the ride. By our mistake, we had not given ourself time (or transportation) to get to the skeet shooting after our ride - Clint very quickly helped us to get where we needed to go for our next activity. That is just one example of the personal touch we recieved during our stay.

Though I had never shot a rifle, Jay helped reassure me and gave safe and competent instruction. I did not imagine I would hit anything but he very patiently observed how I was standing and shooting in order to give me some ideas of how to correct my aim. I hit quite a few of the skeet to my surprise! We were able to ask questions and learn more about shooting and safety. Both Jay and Clint were knowledgeable and helpful.

I haven't even touched on the fascinating history in this review...I won't spoil it for you. But as a real lover of history, tradition, legacy, and lifelong learning - the Wildcatter ranch offerred an experience with a personal touch that is unmatched by any other of my or my husbands world travels.

We decided to make the ranch a part of our family tradition for many years to come.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed December 15th and checked out on the 16th 2012. This was my 3rd stay at the resort and it was my worst experience. Let me give you details on each aspect of my stay.

Check-in was smooth and quick as usual. Very friendly front desk staff. However on this visit I quickly noticed how deserted the entire property looked. There we no cars, and no guests anywhere to be found. Appeared to be a ghost town, I was surprised by this since it was the weekend before Christmas and I assumed there would be lots of holiday travelers and local celebrations taking place at the resort.

We stayed in the Buffalo Room. This was very clean and comfortable. Great views from the backdoor and porch. The rooms at the Wildcatter are great and always clean and comfortable.

We decided to have drinks and dinner at the restaurant on Saturday night. We were first surprised again by the lack of guests usually when we are here the place in hopping with locals sitting in the lobby having drinks waiting on Dinner. We asked for a table and they stated it would be a hour wait, we said ok and sat at the bar.

After a while I noticed the dining room behind the bar was empty. All of the tables were out with no table cloths on settings totally empty. Was very strange to me since this place is usually bustling with activity and people eating. I decided to walk around to look into the actual dining room After waiting a while I walked into the dining room only to see there were a few tables of guests. I did not understand the hour wait when there were more empty tables than tables with guests.

We finally were seated after the hour wait. I only saw 2 waiters in the entire place. Just a year ago there would have been at least 10 to 15 waiters and every table was full of guests. The meal was just ok and the service was not worth the price.

I am not sure what changes they are making but there are now a lot fewer guests than when I have been here in the past. I really missing seeing the local and live bands that used to play at the resort. There used to be a great local atmosphere. One of the benefits of staying at the Wildcatter is mingling with local country folks and getting a true Texas Feel.

Room Tip: Get a cabin
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Being a Minnesota girl, this was a great experience for me! The ranch is beautiful, and the people are so sweet. From right when you check in, you are treated like a guest at a 5 star resort. We arrived a little early so our room wasn't ready yet, so we had lunch in the restaurant on site. The food was delicious, and the view can't be beat. We went on a 1 1/2 hour horseback ride led by Clint, who was so wonderful since it was our first time riding. He showed us all around the property and it was so peaceful since we were the only ones on the tour. Once we checked into our cabin, I couldn't wait to relax. The cabin's are definitely the way to go; they have a fireplace, a cute little patio on the backside of your room, and a huge king bed that was so comfortable. We ate dinner that night at the steakhouse, which again was delicious! It was very busy but the service was spot on. I do agree that the food is a little overpriced, but it's obviously because you are in a remote location and they have to make their money somehow. After dinner we asked if the hot tub was open, which the gentleman at the front desk said would stay open as long as we wanted to use it. He brought us warm towels too which was fantastic, since it was about 40 degrees that evening! Back at the room my boyfriend had the office bring us a bottle of wine which we enjoyed by the fireplace. He had this all planned out for a proposal, which obviously I said YES!

We had the complimentary breakfast in the morning which was awesome! There were so many options from eggs, bacon, huge biscuits, yogurt with granola, make your own waffles, etc. It definitely hit the spot before our long drive home. Check out isn't until 11 am, so it's nice that you have a chance to sleep in and really enjoy your stay. I would definitely recommend Wildcatter Ranch, and I can't wait to go back in the summer when everything is green and warm and the party really starts!

Room Tip: Cabins are the best! It's like having your own little oasis!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wildcatter Ranch? Share your experiences!