“Service is gone and so are the Customers” 1 of 5 stars

Wildcatter Ranch
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6062 Hwy 16 South, Graham, TX 76450   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Graham
Dallas, Texas
“Service is gone and so are the Customers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed December 15th and checked out on the 16th 2012. This was my 3rd stay at the resort and it was my worst experience. Let me give you details on each aspect of my stay.

Check-in was smooth and quick as usual. Very friendly front desk staff. However on this visit I quickly noticed how deserted the entire property looked. There we no cars, and no guests anywhere to be found. Appeared to be a ghost town, I was surprised by this since it was the weekend before Christmas and I assumed there would be lots of holiday travelers and local celebrations taking place at the resort.

We stayed in the Buffalo Room. This was very clean and comfortable. Great views from the backdoor and porch. The rooms at the Wildcatter are great and always clean and comfortable.

We decided to have drinks and dinner at the restaurant on Saturday night. We were first surprised again by the lack of guests usually when we are here the place in hopping with locals sitting in the lobby having drinks waiting on Dinner. We asked for a table and they stated it would be a hour wait, we said ok and sat at the bar.

After a while I noticed the dining room behind the bar was empty. All of the tables were out with no table cloths on settings totally empty. Was very strange to me since this place is usually bustling with activity and people eating. I decided to walk around to look into the actual dining room After waiting a while I walked into the dining room only to see there were a few tables of guests. I did not understand the hour wait when there were more empty tables than tables with guests.

We finally were seated after the hour wait. I only saw 2 waiters in the entire place. Just a year ago there would have been at least 10 to 15 waiters and every table was full of guests. The meal was just ok and the service was not worth the price.

I am not sure what changes they are making but there are now a lot fewer guests than when I have been here in the past. I really missing seeing the local and live bands that used to play at the resort. There used to be a great local atmosphere. One of the benefits of staying at the Wildcatter is mingling with local country folks and getting a true Texas Feel.

Room Tip: Get a cabin
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Being a Minnesota girl, this was a great experience for me! The ranch is beautiful, and the people are so sweet. From right when you check in, you are treated like a guest at a 5 star resort. We arrived a little early so our room wasn't ready yet, so we had lunch in the restaurant on site. The food was delicious, and the view can't be beat. We went on a 1 1/2 hour horseback ride led by Clint, who was so wonderful since it was our first time riding. He showed us all around the property and it was so peaceful since we were the only ones on the tour. Once we checked into our cabin, I couldn't wait to relax. The cabin's are definitely the way to go; they have a fireplace, a cute little patio on the backside of your room, and a huge king bed that was so comfortable. We ate dinner that night at the steakhouse, which again was delicious! It was very busy but the service was spot on. I do agree that the food is a little overpriced, but it's obviously because you are in a remote location and they have to make their money somehow. After dinner we asked if the hot tub was open, which the gentleman at the front desk said would stay open as long as we wanted to use it. He brought us warm towels too which was fantastic, since it was about 40 degrees that evening! Back at the room my boyfriend had the office bring us a bottle of wine which we enjoyed by the fireplace. He had this all planned out for a proposal, which obviously I said YES!

We had the complimentary breakfast in the morning which was awesome! There were so many options from eggs, bacon, huge biscuits, yogurt with granola, make your own waffles, etc. It definitely hit the spot before our long drive home. Check out isn't until 11 am, so it's nice that you have a chance to sleep in and really enjoy your stay. I would definitely recommend Wildcatter Ranch, and I can't wait to go back in the summer when everything is green and warm and the party really starts!

Room Tip: Cabins are the best! It's like having your own little oasis!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DFW, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed in a cabin, which is the absolute way to go. They run about $60 more per night, but are worth it for many reasons, but the just the view from the back porch alone is beautiful. The property was not very busy when we visited the last weekend in Nov 2012, but it was perfect for us. Very quiet, cabins are very comfortable and nicely appointed. Did not want to leave the property as it was so relaxing and refreshing. Breakfast was good and included eggs, sausage, biscuits, fruit, yogurt and other various items, so you could make it healthy or hearty depending on your preference. Each room includes a refrigerator, so I would advise you to bring your own case of bottled water so that you always have something in your room. We also brought some light snacks and kept in the fridge. The onsite steakhouse is good and convenient but not necessarily worth the price point. It is not bad, but they price point is not in line with the quality of food you expect based on some of the rave reviews that the restaraunt received online. We would probably eat there one day/night again, but not definitely not each night, as the menu is pretty basic. I am definitely a "foodie" so perhaps my view is different from others. Take a left onto Hwy 16 out of the property and you will run into several small restaurants in the city of Graham about 8 miles away. There is not an in room dining option so again, pack some light snacks if you want to keep from having to leave each time you want a snack or drink. We hiked both on the property and then drove to the lake and hiked there the next day. Received a massage, which was good, but I think i was ready to keep doing activities and not necessarily in the mindset for a massage that I thought would be when I booked the vacation. The front desk and property staff were all very kind and friendly. Highly reccomend this place to anyone thinking about coming for a visit. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Graham, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

There are very few places in the area that can give the vantage point that Wildcatter can. Cabins are quiet, comfortable, and are decorated in typical ranch style. Our daughters enjoyed the pool and the restaurant serves worthy steaks. Have had family stay there and they've had favorable experiences as well.

• Stayed September 2011
Meath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Had a great time on the ranch with two kids aged 10 and 13. First time on a horse for most of us and I pity the poor horse that got me! Activities were good but not cheap. Staff friendly and the food in the on site steakhouse was so good we ate there every night. Rocking chairs outside each cabin for night time moonlit relaxation. Chalets very comfortable with all mod cons. Fed the long horns every morning which was a great experience for city folk. River was dry so no boating but not their fault. Would defintely go back again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

we thought there was a bait and switch on the trail ride pricing. A 20% gratuity was added to our bill for each trail ride that we took. When we made the reservation, we were quoted a cost of $90 per person, but were not advised of the $18 gratuity which was added to our bill. This "gratuity" should be disclosed at the time of the reservation.

Otherwise, we were pleased with out stay. The breakfast and room were very nice. We liked Alex, the evening desk person, very much. She was friendly and gave us a lot of information about the Wildcatter and surrounding area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Could not have asked for a better summer trip with my kids and wife. Had a great time and highly recommend it. Stay in the cabins!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wildcatter Ranch? Share your experiences!