“Great Steak” 5 of 5 stars

Cross street: Wildcatter
Essex
“Great Steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Excellent service and great steak as well as other dishes with friendly staff.

Visited April 2012

64% Recommend
Fort Worth, Texas
“Good food - abysmal service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I took some friends who were visiting from Europe here for the last night of their 3 week vacation to the United States. After a terrific weekend at my home in Texas (90 minutes away), they were ready for one more steak dinner so I made reservations at the Wildcatter Ranch Steakhouse. I had been out to the ranch before and I really liked the property but had never eaten at the restaurant. We were looking forward to the experience.

I will summarize the dinner as follows:

1. The food was quite good.
2. The service was shockingly horrible.

My assumption is that the restaurant is supposed to have something of a "fine dining" feel to it while still remaining Texas casual. That is fine if it can be pulled off properly. However, when a restaurant charges $39 for a steak, I expect to have service from a professional waitstaff, not 2 teenage boys who have no idea what they are doing and a "manager" who is just as clueless.

1. Arrived on time for our reservation and was told they just got slammed with 4 other tables and would we mind waiting. 4 tables is slammed? Shouldn't you have been better staffed for such a possibility?

2. Seated at a table that was not set. No plates, napkins, silverware, nothing. And it wasn't provided until 15 minutes later when we finally saw a waiter and had to request it.

3. One guest couldn't decide on a cocktail. Although she made it clear she wanted a cocktail but couldn't decide exactly what she wanted, the "manager" repeatedly offered her beer.

4. Both vodka tonics for myself and one of my guests were made with club soda. Since no one returned to our table I had to get up, walk to the bar, and tell the "manager" that the drinks were made incorrectly. He then informed me that he was making the drinks tonight but was not a bartender and was only filling in. Great. Also had to inform him that after about 15 minutes we still had not seen our actual waiter.

5. Waiter arrived and as he was taking out order, the "manager" who was waiting on the table next to us cut off one of the ladies in our party mid sentence by hollering over to our waiter (while she was ordering) to ask a question about the menu. And he's the "manager"? I was completely embarassed at this point.

6. The food did not come out altogether.

7. The waiter was in such a rush to move on to his next task that while one of my guests was opening his mouth to order a bottle of wine, the waiter ran off.

8. When the wine was finally served (by the "manager"), he did not offer proper serving technique at all. He literally opened the bottle and placed it on the table. He did not offer the label, pour the taste, verify if it was acceptable....nothing. Bottle opened and placed on table. That's it.

9. Dessert was not offered. The bill was not offered. We waited at least 15 minutes for the waiter and when it was clear he was nowhere to be found I had to go look for someone to bring the check.

I cannot even begin to describe what an absolute disaster this place was. Luckily, we were able to still have a fun time as we laughed about what an unbelievable experience this was. Since we were able to make humor, the evening was still a good one. However, I was embarassed for them and I was embarassed for myself for having recommended this restuarant. We tipped 6% on the bill and after my guests were outside I informed the "manager" of how sub-standard the service was and I listed every single major problem. I did not do this to be mean. I did this because I truly do like the Wildcatter Ranch and I would like to see them succeed. Perhaps this was atypical service but that does not make it any less deplorable. I told the "manager" that I was embarassed to have taken my friends to this restaurant and I strongly encouraged him and the entire waitstaff to undergo some serious remedial training.

I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. I was hoping for the ranch atmosphere to make for a charming evening (which it did) but you can pay the same price or less and have a delicious steak and superior service in Ft. Worth.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston, texas, USA
12,163 helpful votes 12,163 helpful votes
“Over Priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

And over cooked. More expensive than it should have been though about the only place open, other than the DQ, for dinner

Visited March 2012
Texas
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

One reviewer talks about the strange flavor of the steak. I experienced the same thing. The server said it was the wood it was grilled over--mesquite--but many Texas restaurants use mesquite, so I know that isn't the cause. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't very good. I had about half, but couldn't finish it. The sides were ok, but nothing to write home about. The service was efficient. You have to pay to join the "club" to have wine. I had looked forward to dinner here, but left feeling disappointed.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boyd, Texas
“View To Die For”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

The view is to die for, the food is just okay. Our steaks were under cooked. My side was grilled asparagus had to be the biggest and toughest I have ever had. Desert was an outstanding crème brulee. Not worth the money. Service was very good. I would suggest you go for the view, but be very careful with what you order.

• Visited March 2012