“This Ain't Subway” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“This Ain't Subway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I always get the Deli Club with Cream of Jalapeno Soup. Sometimes, I like to dip the corners of my sandwich into the soup to add a spicy and cheesy addition to the perfect combination of bacon, deli meat and veggies. They bake their bread in house and they cut their meat in house. The real prize is the random soup they have sometimes. You never know what the second one might be but it's just as good as the Cream of Jalapeno. Talk about a tug of war of emotions. The place is the perfect stop on any trip through small town texas down HWY 59 or HWY 183. Southern hospitality with a worldly taste.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New Braunfels, Texas
“Really? I drove all the way for this??”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I was so excited to come here and try the soup after seeing this deli on The Daytripper. We waited for about a year to come so my anticipation was sky-high. Our first impression was that the deli was quaint. The menu was a little pricey for what you got but who cares right? This was award winning Cream of Jalapeño soup! So, after paying a large lunch bill, I finally got my bowl of soup. I was so disappointed!! Award winning? Who awarded this as being the best? Perhaps I caught them on an "off" day? It tasted like watered down canned nacho cheese with the tiniest pieces of what I guessed was jalapeño. I couldn't believe I waited a year for this! I'm glad I ordered a sandwich with my soup. The sandwich was good, but I wouldn't return for the soup, award winning or not. To compound our disappointment, the ice for the drinks came out of a community ice chest so hopefully the person before me washed their hands before getting ice, the lady who took our order wasn't the friendliest, and the veggies on my husband's sandwich weren't the best quality. Again, maybe we came on a bad day? My advice to you....order a sandwich and try a cup of the soup before buying a bowl.

Visited June 2013
Clifton, Texas
“Jalapeno Soup Addiction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

There are a lot of reasons for a traveller to make her/his way to Goliad Texas. The amazing Texas history (Come and take it - Fannin and his troops - Presidio La Bahia and the other missions, et al), the beautiful scenery along Hwy 183, the unique downtown courthouse and small town architecture. Among these noteworthy destination points must be added the Blue Quail Café where the award winning jalapeno soup is quickly making its way into the annals of history as a “must eat” meal. On my first and not to be my last visit to the Blue Quail Café I ordered the famed jalapeno soup and the commendable chicken salad sandwich combination lunch. The first taste of the rich and creamy soup made me pause and smile with its perfectly balanced cheesy savory flavor accentuated by just the perfect bite of jalapeno. Paired with the delicious chicken salad served on homemade bread this ½ and ½ soup and sandwich combination certainly ranks as one of the best lunch meals I’ve had in recent days. In a word, “addiction” is the best way to describe the Blue Quail Café jalapeno soup. An added bonus to this meal was a complimentary sample of vanilla almond bread pudding that was rich in flavor, unique in texture (the almonds were an unusual and welcome addition), and exceptionally well balanced in sweetness. Definitely make the Blue Quail Café a stop on your travels when roaming near Goliad, TX.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Goliad, Texas
“Great Food...Lovely Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The food here is outstanding...try the chicken salad! Miss Patty makes your visit enjoyable. Don't expect fast food as it's made to order! YUM!

Visited April 2013
Montgomery, Texas
“You must try the Cream of Jalapeño Soup!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The excellent reviews of this deli and the Cream of Jalapeño soup were spot on. The soup was even better than I let myself expect it to be. It is probably one of the best soups I've ever eaten! The sandwiches we ordered were also really good. The atmosphere isn't anything special but there is a great view of the beautiful courthouse from the front window.

• Visited July 2013