“Great Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rough Creek Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glen Rose
Rough Creek Lodge
You added Rough Creek Lodge to your Saves list
5165 County Road 2013, Glen Rose, TX 76043   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Glen Rose
Dallas, Texas, United States
“Great Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

This resort hidden off the beaten path outside of Glen Rose, Texas is a gem. I would say it was a well kept secret except I think it is no longer a secret. The rooms are luxuriously rustic. The restaurant could compete with any fine restaurant in any city. The staff is wonderful. They make you feel they are truly happy to serve you and make your stay as perfect as possible. Although, this is a hunting lodge, it is also an incredible place for all types of outdoor activities or not. Although we did not take advantage of the spa this trip, we had wonderful massages last time we were here. It is also a great place to chill, have a business retreat or a family reunion. We will be back here.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I was looking for a different way to spend Valentine's Day with my girlfriend. Last year we did the more traditional luxury hotel, spa and fantastic dinner. This year I did not want to try top last year or even set a trend of comparing, so on the advice of a friend, I reserved a weekend at Rough Creek Lodge, what I would discribe as a family friendly, upscale hunting lodge.

We both had a great time. Although we did shoot, we did not partake in any hunting. Instead we brought our own road bicycles and enjoyed the uncrowded roads and hills, as well as many of the other amenities the lodge has to offer: Zip lines, climbing walls, archery, and yes, even hatchet throwing. We probably would have done more, but it was mid February and too cool to enjoy the pools and unfortunately we didn't have enough time for the 4x4s, horses or fishing/boating.

We really loved the atmosphere. It was definitely felt like a hunting lodge, but it was not the typical overdone rough hewn wood look, but a more contemporary twist. The room was very nice an comfortable and felt very private. The bathrooms were excellent and on par with better hotels

Being Valentine's Day, the dining room was packed for the Friday evening dinner, but the staff was fantastic and the food terrific. I would have thought that due to the slightly remote location everyone was staying at the Lodge, but the waiter said most had driven (or flown by helicopter) in just for the meal. We also ate two breakfasts and a second dinner and all meals were very good. We took advantage of the spa for a couple's massage and thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Most impressive was the staff. Everyone from the wait staff to the front desk staff to the houskeepers to the folks in the spa and the young guys running the activities were exceptionally nice and friendly. All seemed genuinely concerned about our havng a good time.

I would definitely recommend this place if you are looking for a somewhat out of the way, outdoorsy, but very comfortable, hunting, or family trip. The food is hard to beat and I can't say enough good things about the staff. We are both looking forward to another trip when we can enjoy more of the activities. (MK)

Room Tip: This is a fairly small place. I would guess 60 or so rooms. The regular rooms are great and we did...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Jose at Rough Creek made our trip one to remember and a must do every year. The level of service was one of the Ritz Carlton's we frequent often. He made sure all was taken care of and that we were having a great time. We have a toddler and was helpful and suggested great things to do with her. The food recommendations were also perfect along with the best top shelf margaritas you could have. Jose we will be back to see you and I hope they know they have a great employee! We will see you sooner than expected hopefully in the next few weeks.

• Stayed February 2014
Southlake, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Whether you need a relaxing weekend away with your spouse or you are looking for a place to hold a meeting...this is a great place to stay. The food is delicious and five star quality! The rooms are spacious and luxurious. The location requires a little bit of a drive, but it is well worth your time...you will be glad you did. Once you stay at this property, you will be a repeat client!
It's worth every penny and more.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Kilkenny, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Beautiful location miles from anywhere, great views over the lake and farm land. Restaurant has good Texas food , rooms are very spacious and with a special offer price we thought it was value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

First of all, I have to say that when I found out the price of our Valentine's Day get-away weekend here, I didn't see any way it could be worth that much money. In the end, we did leave feeling very pampered and with smiles on our faces, and that is saying a lot from someone who has traveled the world and likes a good deal.

FOOD - The chef has earned all kinds of honors and his food is absolutely outstanding. My husband and I really enjoy good food and this is some of the best we have ever had. I only gave breakfast a "very good" rating because I would have liked a few more items on the buffet, but the quality of the food was excellent. They make their own fresh pastries and breads daily, so everything is fresh and scrumptious. It would be very difficult to beat their steaks and the pheasant was also superb. The fresh made salsa at breakfast was some of the best salsa I've ever had.

SERVICE - the other reason people would love this is because the service is exceptional. It seemed like everywhere we turned, we were being called by name. When I was in the spa for my treatment, my name was on the locker. The manager asked to meet me and when I told her my first name, without hesitating or looking it up, she politely began calling me by Mrs. _____ (my married name). Very impressive.

VALUE - okay, now here is the deal. If you come here when the weather is good, especially during the middle of the week, so that you could enjoy all the many, many included activities, this could end up being a great deal. Or if you brought your family, as kids under 15 stay and eat for free, again this could be a fantastic deal. Some of the lodge rooms even have bunk beds for the kids and the cabins have three beds up in a loft if the kiddos are not small and can safely manage a spiral metal staircase. But for a couple in the winter, not such a good deal as we were there to get out of the city, relax, and enjoy the good food and service. Although we had a memorable time, there are other places that the two of us could have gone in the winter to get out of the city that would have been a fraction of the price, just perhaps not the same level of service or quality of food.

MUSTANG CABIN - we did thoroughly enjoy having a fireplace in front of our king size bed. The crackling fire my husband built was beautiful. The hammock outside and the rocking chairs on the screened-in porch would have been relaxing but it was too chilly and windy while we were here. Tiny bathroom is the downside to the cabin, but it does have a jetted bathtub. Compared to other places we have stayed, the cabins seem rather rustic for the price. You can do rustic and still be upscale, but this missed the mark a bit.

LODGE ROOMS - lovely, spacious rooms that all face out to the little lake with two chairs on the balcony to enjoy the view.

Book spa and dinner appointments well in advance as the resort is often full.

SPA - excellent service and did a great job of making each client feel special and pampered; however, I really enjoy a spa that has a steam room and sauna to relax in before a treatment. The adult pool and whirlpool is right outside the spa to enjoy.

ACTIVITIES - The great thing is that there are tons of activities for everyone to enjoy - fishing, boating, kayaks, hunting, shooting sports (clays, five-stand, rifle range, wobble trap, shooting instruction), paintball, volleyball, video golf, basketball and tennis, horseshoes and softball, fitness center, golf driving range, tomahawks and archery, zip-line, climbing wall, fossil hunting, nature trail, hiking and biking, Kawasaki mule rental, horseback riding, Adult swimming pool, spa, cattle drives, hay rides, play grounds, disc golf, petting corral, Kid's Ranch, kite flying, and Outdoor Family Pool complete with 66-foot Slide, Lazy River and Hot Tub. Not much chance to get bored when the weather is nice.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

If you love seeing all the stars, hearing only the wind blow and maybe some crickets and love gourmet food, this is the place for you to visit. We've been coming here for birthdays and anniversaries for over 4 years and we never tire of it. The location is beautiful, the grounds are easy to hike/ walk, the pools are clean and private. I love one of the pools is for adults only - no screaming kids! The chef is world renown and I've never had a bad meal or drink there. The wine list is pretty great too.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room, they all face the lake, so really there's no BAD rooms!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rough Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!