“Great Escape!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rough Creek Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glen Rose
Rough Creek Lodge
You added Rough Creek Lodge to your Saves list
5165 County Road 2013, Glen Rose, TX 76043   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Glen Rose
Dallas, Texas
“Great Escape!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We truly enjoyed Rough Creek Lodge during Spring Break. We wanted to try something new
and looked at the website online. Everything looked great, but it was even better in person. It was pricey but when you look at what you get, and the options of activites that are bundled in your package, including fabulous food in the dining room. We felt we it was money well spent. We rented a cabin and loved everything about it. It had everything we needed and its the luxury way to go camping! Our kids loved the all the outdoor activites, and the food was amazing.... The staff was very service oriented, and was kind to find an item we had left and mail it back to us.

We climbed "Gun Mountain", hit the golf range, checked out game room and so much more. Our kids fav was breakfast buffet "vanilla bean pancakes!" Also, the petting zoo was the bomb... We will return for another "Great Escape!" Did I mention it is only an hour and half from Dallas! Thank you RCL staff!!!

Room Tip: We loved the Arrowhead cabin. They are spaced apart and 1/2 mile from the Lodge. Its quiet and pe...

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Rough Creek Lodge for the weekend after Thanksgiving and it was Heavenly. You make think it's a little pricey, but it is completely worth every penny. The food is amazing and you are never hungry after a meal. I spent one day in the spa while my husband went to the shooting range. You are truly treated like royalty. And to top it all off we won a free lunch to come back!!! We have already started planning for my birthday weekend there too =) Make sure take a walk around the lake and if the weather permits there are plenty of places to just sit and enjoy God's country.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bellaire, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We booked four nights for my family over spring break. I was cut off the first two times I called. Finally, the person answering the phone was able to use their hold button without hanging up, even if it took three tries. I made my reservation and promptly received an email confirmation with the wrong dates. I had to reply to the email and call a fourth time to get the dates corrected. On this call, there was some confusion about my minor children, so after I got off the phone I sent another email to confirm that there was no additional charge to have minor children in the room. RCL replied affirming my understanding.

When I arrived, the rate had changed from $3,200 to $4,950 for four nights to include my children. The woman at the front desk said she had done this for my convenience the night before when she noticed my children on the reservation. I pulled up the email chain to show her, but show would not look at it. She kept saying this was for my convenience, and that it included the resort amenities.

Stay away, as these people are dishonest and will not stand by their word. You find yourself 100 miles from the nearest large town, and these sharks know what they are doing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Paul B, General Manager at Rough Creek Lodge, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
We would like to provide some feedback to anyone who reads the Trip Advisor reports. The guest was informed of the Spring Break 3-day minimum booking policy through our reservation department. The room package rate that he purchased allowed children 15 years and under to stay in the same room and eat for free from the kid’s buffet. Of his 3 children, only one, at age 14, qualified for this rate. However the other two children, that he refers to as minor children in his Trip Advisor comments, were in fact 17 and 18 years old. The truth of this situation was not known until they arrived. Once the guest arrived, we again reviewed the children’s age/meal policy since we noticed that not all of the children were 15 years old or under. The 17 & 18 year old did not meet that requirement. We informed the guest and he simply did not like that rule since he was now going to have to pay an additional $130 per person, per day for the 17 and 18 year old to enjoy breakfast and dinner. The guest wanted to leave because he was upset. We told him that he and his family would enjoy the variety of complimentary activities and encouraged him to stay. The family decided to stay to have fun but the father never got over the additional cost for the meals for the 17 and 18 years old.

To extend our hospitality, the General Manager waived the cost of the older teen’s meals for the first and second days of their stay. So, all of his children ate for free for the first 2 days. The General Manager and the guest agreed through emails to meet after breakfast on the 3rd day. The purpose of the meeting was to review the status of his visit because he was again expressing his irritation of the pricing at dinner to the staff. After breakfast on the 3rd day, the guest quickly paid his bill up to that point, and left without meeting with the General Manager as planned. The General Manager chose not to bill him for the remaining two days that had been confirmed. The hotel was not able to re-book these rooms at such late notice.

We take great pride in communicating up front with our guests so they know what they are receiving and paying for prior to their arrival. We believe once the guest realized that the bill was going to be more money, he was unhappy from that point forward. We are sorry that he left early. We had hoped that the meal costs that were waived for the young adults for the first 2 days would have helped with his budget and enabled him to stay. The entire staff was disappointed to see such a negative comment from this guest on TripAdvisor.com. The staff felt like they had bent over backwards to take care of him and his family throughout their stay. For him to imply that we are sharks and take advantage of people is simply unfair and untrue. As you can see from all of the other TripAdvisor.com guest comments, the other guests have had very positive experiences and enjoy and appreciate the services, atmosphere and friendly staff at Rough Creek Lodge.
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We enjoyed Rough Creek Lodge as a weekend birthday getaway for my husband's birthday. What a delight! The perfect blend of rustic outdoor activities and luxury...you do not find that often. And for an upscale resort, they really cater to children. Upon check in, we received a welcome goodie bag with a kite for my son and cookies with his name on them, along with other snacks and info. We were able to check in early and enjoy the ranch. Every time that we crossed paths with a staff member, they asked how we were, etc. Very attentive to service and detail. The room was lovely. Comfy and rustic, but luxurious. Beds loaded with pillows, a soaker tub, a nice makeup table, gorgeous shower, wonderful soaps and lotions, and a beautiful view from the room or patio (complete with rockers). We took in lots of the activities included in our package like the archery area, ziplining, rock wall climbing...and also indulged in the fresh baked cookies, hot cocoa, and punch offered, as well as the smores at the fire pit after dinner. The kids party in the evening also gave my husband and I a nice dinner alone. Overall a great experience. Pricey, but they do all that they can to give you your money's worth, including the waiter allowing us to order soup and salad at dinner for no extra cost. Even though the lodge was pretty booked, the place is so big and the activities so numerous, that you do not run into crowds anywhere.

Weatherford, Texas USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

What a wonderful weekend!!! My brother, Jimbo Jarrett, my son, Clint Jarrett, and myself had the time of our lives!!!! Jeremy Simpson could not have done a better job at putting us on birds. This was my first quail, chucker, and pheasant hunt and now the bar is really high after 35 quail, 4 chuckers, and 1 pheasant. Happy, happy, happy is the only word to use. Alan Huffman took us on a terrific duck hunt and all of us were very successful downing ducks. The "Huff" man was in rare form and called in a one legged Lesser Scaup duck to match our one legged mojo!!

My goodness, does it get any better than this? I hope not because none of us could stand it if it did!!! Once again our hats are off to you and all at Rough Creek Lodge, our hunting home from this day forward and forever.

Room Tip: Ask to reserve a "cabin". We stayed in one of the several cabins about 1/2 mile away from...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

MY WIFE VISITED FOUR DIFFERENT TIMES in 2012! I went to Rough Creek without kids on our first visit in 2012. We took the kids with us on two other weekends, and my wife went out to Rough Creek again with her business group. This place is so nice that while I was staying at the highest ranking hotel on Trip Advisor in another major Texas city, I spotted another guest in the lobby wearing a shirt with the Rough Creek Lodge logo on it. That reaffirmed for me that Rough Creek is top notch. This place has the best toddler pool of any Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons our family has stayed at. It is the perfect depth and it can be drained and refilled for an "accident" in under ten minutes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure why this place has such rave reviews. We were at RCL for a business conference. This place is unique for business functions and offers some fun activities but it falls short in several areas!

We had a suite that desperately needed dusting, sweeping, mopping and visit from a plumber! Our shower leaked a huge puddle onto the floor each time we used it. Our toilet was very finicky about flushing and refilling. My husband had to open the tank 3x to coax it to refill. When we first arrived I kicked off my shoes but left my socks on as slippers. Later I noticed my socks were filthy from the dusty wood floors.

The spa is cramped, poorly designed and not at all luxurious!
1) no privacy in locker room
The ladies' locker room is smaller than my master bathroom at home and offers no privacy! The lockers are in full view of the door to the hallway. There was no curtained changing area- which was extremely awkward because a coworker (of my husband) happened to be in the spa at the time I was. I dont know her well and could tell she too felt awkward! So to avoid disrobing in view of each other, I resorted to changing in the largest of the two toilet stalls. I've never been to a spa with no private changing area! Ugh!
2) I had a scrub and massage.
Sounds great but it was not because there was no shower or sink in the massage/scrub room so the therapist had to rely on hot towels only to remove the scrub from my skin and her hands. She couldn't rinse my skin properly without running water and I was not offered a shower so my skin still had some particles from the scrub on it during the massage. Without a sink, she could not wash her hands between treatments which added to the amount of scrub particles in the massage oil. It was not very pleasant. Had I asked for a shower, they might have allowed it, but I would have had to walk through the spa lobby (dripping body scrub) to get to the locker room and hope one of the two shower stalls was available. And then deal with the lack of privacy issue again. When it was over I couldn't tell if the showers were clean and I had already checked out of my room so I drove 2 hours home covered in massage oil and scrub particles. Lesson learned: I will ask more questions when booking at a spa!
3) 21% gratuity added "for my convenience"
Does the above sound like an experience that deserved 21% gratuity? I didn't think so either, which is precisely WHY they tip themselves. I've never had issue with the normal 18% gratuity many spas add to the bill, in fact I usually add to the tip! BUT I had never had a crummy spa experience until I visited RCL.

On a positive note, we found the entire staff to be friendly.

• Stayed January 2013
Paul B, General Manager at Rough Creek Lodge, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest of Rough Creek Lodge and Resort,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback. Fortunately, we do receive rave reviews because of our strong service standards to go beyond the needs and expectations of our guest. We are glad to hear you experienced our friendly staff, but I am greatly sorry that we let you slip through the cracks during your recent stay at Rough Creek Lodge. All of the departments involved with the issues you had experienced have been informed of the issues in their service areas and will work to improve the standard for our future guests.

Thank you again for your feedback and helping us improve in the areas we did not meet your expectations.

Paul Boccafogli
Rough Creek Lodge and Resort

Been to Rough Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!