“Understand what this place is before you book.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rough Creek Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glen Rose
Rough Creek Lodge
You added Rough Creek Lodge to your Saves list
5165 County Road 2013, Glen Rose, TX 76043   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Glen Rose
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Stilwell, Kansas
“Understand what this place is before you book.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We were here for one night at a conference. It's important to understand what this place is and more importantly what it isn't. It is a resort but not like a Ritz or Four Seasons. The rooms are nice but more Hilton than Ritz. It was built as a corporate retreat before being converted to a resort. Service is excellent.

RCL is about all things outdoors, especially shooting sports whether it's hunting, trap or skeet. In good weather (and especially summer) there are many other activities. There is a spa but it is only a day spa and not a full service one with steam rooms, saunas or whirlpools. The restaurant was good but not great. I was really surprised by the poor selections of wines by the glass at the bar. This is more a "Bourbon and Branch" kind of place.

The main issue I had was cost vs. value proposition. It is very expensive and not all of the activities are included in the price. Many have additional costs. If you can use all the facilities and have the disposable income, then this place may be for you. Still given the price, I was expecting much more.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

My wife and three sons (6, 5 and 5 months) went to Rough Creek for a short getaway after Christmas. My wife and I had been before (without kids), but it had been 5 or 6 years. We had a great experience...first of all, the package deal was very affordable. For $250 for each adult per night, we got a room, dinner and breakfast. The Kids Club was also free...we sent our older kids there while we had dinner and we felt totally comfortable leaving them there. We got a private sitter for the baby, and she was wonderful...she wrote us a handwritten thank you note saying how much she enjoyed him and appreciated the opportunity to watch him. We were upgraded to the Luckenbach suite, and it was just phenomenal (it was comparable to our room at the Four Seasons in Jackson Hole). There was a fireplace, living area, and balcony. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. There are tons of activities for kids...bounce houses, fishing, zip lines, climbing walls, etc. Rough Creek is known for its food...it wasn't quite as good as we remembered, but it was still excellent. All in all, our trip was just a great experience and I would highly recommend it for couples or families.

Aledo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed for 1 night over Christmas. The service at the resort was exceptional from check-in to check out. Kids had a great time with the zip-line and trampolines. Kids Ranch was great at night for babysitting. Dinner for adults was great as was breakfast for the whole family. The enitre stay was perfect, but do keep in mind that the resort is expensive. We will definitely be back!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

For families with diverse interests, this is perfect. The children are entertained by the staff with an array of country activities, while the parents can explore their pleasures. Dads can hunt, golf or horseback ride and moms choose from an array of those amenities, plus a five star spa. The food is simply divine but the atmosphere in the Lodge is what pulls it altogether. The staff are there to please. They can think outside of the box, toubleshoot and get anything issue resloved. It's the Texas country, and they do what you want. It's awesome. I'll keep going back.

Room Tip: We preferred to be further away from the Lodge itself, and further to the ends of the corners. It s...
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I went there for my son's 14th birthday and specifically requested and reserved the Presidential Suite. When I got there they gave me a different room without any explanation or apology. Later after we unpacked and realized we'd been duped we got several lame reasons (none of them true) as to why they unilaterally decided why we'd be more comfortable in a smaller room! Dont you just love when people decide what would make you more comfortable??? After our trip I received an email survey from the GM which I filled out and rteurned. You guessed it! I never heard back! I guess he only wants glowing reviews and does not wish to improve in any way. Had he bothered to make it right, I would never have written this review and would probably have gone back. Now - there is no way I will ever return or ever recommend it!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Granbury, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

We would definitely recommend Rough Creek Lodge. We givie it a 10 thumbs up! Our room was fabulous, the service was terrific, but it was the little touches that were special. We loved the gingerbread cookie in our amenities bag with our name on it. I thought it was too lovely to eat, but my family couldn't resist! My husband like the water bottles that were so readily available throughout the property. The kids liked the climbing wall, zip lines, and bungee trampoline. I liked the brunch (in particular the buttermilk biscuits!), and the soap in the shower. The gingerbread houses on display were a nice touch too. The staff was warm and friendly, and we had a wonderful weekend.

Dallas, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I still can't figure out why it is priced so high. Our room (an average hotel room) was $1,000 for the night. It was actually a room with a king size bed...and attached small living space with a sleeper sofa for the two boys. We had actually booked the Bush room (Suite), but were bumped with (4) different explanations as to why. (my wife never got an answer from the GM when she called) We always go for the top floor because its seems if we don't...we always get a crazy person stomping around above us. Well..that crazy person was there this time too....he or she) had heavy boots on and walked back and forth on the wooden floor from 11 p.m. until 4 a.m. (I'm not kidding!!!) Anyway... I actually saw the couple at the front desk who were assigned to the suite right before we walked up to check in....I guess they were regulars, so we got bumped...:-) At least they got some sleep. The 90 minutes of hunting for my son and his friend was $550 (discounted from $750 because whoever took the hunting reservation over the phone from my son didn't log it in...whoops again!) I thought I was going for a massage at the same time as my wife since I'm not a hunter...but because he is only 14...they made me wander around in a field with him for 90 minutes and try not to get shot (with an expert guide whith them-why???)......what a blast that was in my work out gear. Dinner for (4) was around $360...........need I go on.....eventhough the food was good...and the service good.....I still cannot justify the cost of this semi-upscale hunting lodge. Even my son (the hunter) agreed as most of the things he wanted to do (boats, zip line, etc.) were closed as they do not have enough help to man them even @ 10:00 a.m. in the morning. Honestly....I couldn't wait to leave........truly a once in a lifetime experience........and I've had my once..:-)

Room Tip: good luck here.......what you book is not necessarily what you'll get.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Rough Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!