“yum!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Robertsdale, Alabama
“yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I loved Gumbos and the service was excellent. The atmosphere is classy and comfy and feels private. The special butter they serve with the bread is delicious. It's pricy but worth the experience. The background music was so great my friend specially requested the waiter to find out if it was a particular CD she could buy.

Visited April 2013

Georgetown
“Fabulous gluten free menu!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

So, historic downtown Georgetown, Texas, is incredibly cute, quaint, and well...historic. Who would have thought you could find a kick-butt gluten free menu there!! Downtown, on the Square, fabulous exterior and interior, gorgeous and delicous food....GUMBO'S. Ask for the gluten free menu and you will be blown away by the selections. And if you want to "mix it up a bit", just ask. "We can do that" is spoken often there. I had the goat cheese with brandied apples salad, and asked for a grilled chicken breast to be added. Very good and very filling. Make sure you walk around and look at the cool interior. Best Red Poppy Festival decorations in town!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Temple, Texas
“Seafood Dinner on the Square”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Our group of four came for dinner after a child's birthday party, so we were ready for some adult conversation. This was our first time, but the other couple had dined at Gumbo's previously. We started with the Fried Calamari and Oysters Rockefeller. Both were quite different from the normal offerings. The fried calamari was 'tubular' rather than in the familiar ring shape. They were very tender and quite flavorful. The Oysters Rockefeller were different in that a fried oyster was placed on top of the spinach. Both appetizers were great. Our main courses were Red Fish St Michael, the Jalapeno Shrimp and Crawfish Tails Pasta, the Blackened Catfish, and the Crab Cakes. Each dish was well presented and quite flavorful. With almost no room left for Dessert, we ordered one serving of their Bread Pudding. Which ended our evening on a sweet note. Gumbo's is worth your time and your taste buds will be happy!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Georgetown, Texas, United States
“Gumbo's North”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Gumbo's relocated from Round Rock to Georgetown, TX a few months ago. My wife and I, family and friends had visited the Round Rock location many times before we moved. This restaurant's prior location was always busy with a pleasing ambulance. Plus appealing and great tasting meals.
Gumbo's new location is "on the square" in Georgetown; one block east of Austin Avenue. There is no dedicated parking. However, the corner location on the square offers a fairly large number of parking spaces within reasonable walking distance.
This location has been the "home" of several restaurants since our arrival in Georgetown in 2006. There has been little change in the interior layout over the years. Which features table seating on the lower floor; split into two section by a wine rack. The seating area on the lower floor located at the back of the restaurant tends to be a little too dark for my taste. The upper floor features indoor seating. As well as outdoor seasonal table seating overlooking the square. There is a full bar on the lower level. However seating is limited to just three chairs.
We visited Gumbo's on a Sunday afternoon for brunch. We were seated immediately by the hostess and given menu's I had to ask for the separate beverage list.
The brunch menu features several Gumbos; served with or without rice, salads, several Eggs Benedict combinations and sandwiches. Our server was courteous, offering water while we perused the menu and beverage lists.
When she returned we placed our order. My wife selected the Eggs Benedict over a crab cake and I ordered a "porboy" catfish sandwich. The sides were limited to a vegetable medley , or french fries and a cup of Gumbo. My wife chose the vegetables and i opted for the french fries and a cup of chicken and sausage gumbo with out rice.
After a reasonable length of time our meals arrived. However, due to some sort of error my wife received the traditional Eggs Benedict. The waitress immediately took the plate back to the kitchen, promising to return with the correct dish right away. However, it turned out not to be just a "switched" plate problem. So the wait turned out to be about 10 minutes.
In the meantime, I sampled the Gumbo. It was spicy and delicious. It took a bite or two of my catfish sandwich( served on a 6 inch crusty and lightly toasted bun). Since we had bread prior to our meal I removed the top slice of bread and concentrated on the catfish. It was lightly breaded and tasted delightfully of catfish.
When my wife's entree arrived it looked appetizing and she said tasted well. However, in my estimation the crab cake was skimpy when compared with our prior experiences with this entree.
I would rate our overall dining experience as good; even considering the entree mix-up. We will definitely return and recommend Gumbo's to our friends.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Georgetown, Texas, United States
“What a great addition to Georgetown!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We loved Gumbos in Round Rock and were disappointed when it closed. How awesome that they re-open in Georgetown! Completely different feel to this restaurant which is in the old masonic Temple building. Very cool location with spires and second floor outside seating. The filet here is among the best I have ever had. Their Gumbos is authentic and full of good stuff. Drinks are pricey but full. About the only thing I can gig them on is the wait staff. The staff in Round Rock was solid. These guys are often kids that don't know the difference between bourbon and Jack. Our waiter struggled with the available bourbons in the bar (which is a great selection) and then pretty much ignored us all night doing a flyby with the check at the end. They should spend more time educating the kids on the bar and the menu. This is not a Harvey Wallbanger crowd but one that enjoys fine wines, excellent bourbons and tequilas along with a great steak and gumbo.

• Visited March 2013