“Beautiful setting, interesting food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
McGregor, Texas
“Beautiful setting, interesting food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a gorgeous building with inside courtyard and outside decks overlooking the river or the side street. The tables overlooking the river do get some traffic noise, while the tables outside the bar area will enjoy late afternoon sun in a quieter area. We started at one of the tables by the bar and found the appetizers so good and generous, we decided to stay at that table rather than move to the riverside decks and to split entrees, which worked out well. Service was hit or miss, the bartenders need a little work on their table service skills, but, in the end, all food was delivered and enjoyed. When the tasty Chiles Rellenos were delivered, the waitress said that it seemed kind of small, so she went back and had them make an additional one. Never had that happen before! While not "gourmet" Mexican, the menu is full of interesting offerings.
This is a companion restaurant to the Monument Café just up the street.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

69% Recommend
Temple, Tx
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

What a great dining experience on the San Gabriel river. Expansive windows with a deck. Food is upscale Mexican with no out of the can ingredients. I've had a grilled fish dish both times that was as good as those in the Northwest. Wife has had more traditional dishes that were equally excellent. Something as simple as the bean nacho appetizer wad delectable.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Food with a View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went to El Monumento last Thursday for the first time, at about 7:30 pm. It was extremely crowded - which gave us time to look at the views of and from the outdoor dining areas, which are beautiful and decorated with lush tropical plants identified with little name tags. Very nice atmosphere. Once seated, I ordered a Mojito, which I thought very good - it was my first one ever, so I'm no judge - but also tasted as if there was no alcohol in it. My companion had had Mojitos before and agreed that it was very good but that it might be a "virgin" mojito. The one she ordered was definitely NOT! I had the Corazon Salad, with chicken - very tasty and plenty of it. My friend ordered the Green Chile Pork Stew, a fave of hers at other restaurants. She wrinkled her nose when I asked how it was and barely ate any of it. We each ordered the El Rey Chocolate Cake. She liked it and I was underwhelmed - it seemed gritty and tasteless to me. I would go back again but would look online to see what others ordered that got a thumbs up.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Georgetown, Texas
“Overpriced and underwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've been a few times now and every time I leave I wish it was just a better experience. Sadly it leaves me unsatisfied and feeling like I paid way too much for what I got. Each time I've gone I get something different hoping to get a different result. I had the tortilla soup which is a huge bowl of broth basically, barely any vegetables or chicken. I've also had the carnitas which are prepared in an odd block concept, very strange and very dry. I had to ask for tortillas because they don't normally serve them. I've also had a few salads which are okay but for the price they are kind of ridiculous in my opinion. And last the name, seriously El Monumento, the owner couldn't come up with anything else sounding more original. I'm also not a fan of the restaurant layout on the inside, the kitchen is very noisy when you sit too close. The one positive thing is the patio/deck and the plants, I do love looking at all the different plants. But this is a restaurant not a garden.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Temple, Texas
“Dining In at El Monumento”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was not our first taste of El Monumento's food offerings. Take-Out was our first taste of this new restaurant from the folks who preside over The Monument Cafe. I hoped to be more impressed with the food while dining at the restaurant. The service is friendly and efficient. The food is very tasty and not the typical "Tex-Mex" food found all over Texas. Chips and two kinds of salsa made their way to our table. The chips are light and crispy. The salsa served warm is a pleasant mixture of roasted tomatoes and peppers giving it a deep, smoky flavor. The salsa served cold is finely chopped tomatoes, onions, and peppers. Both salsas were very tasty. We began with the Picaditas, a flattened corn disk topped with black beans, melted cheeses, and crema. It resembles a "gordita", without being stuffed. Then, we shared the "Ensalada El Mon", a mixture of field greens and slivers of mango. One main entrees was the "Beef Empanadas", a very delightful mixture of organic beef, tomatoes, onions, and bell pepper all surrounded by a light, flakey crust. The empanadas were by far the better of our two entrees. The other main entree was "Shrimp Rellano", a roasted Poblano pepper stuffed with Texas Gulf shrimp, spinach, garlic, mushrooms, and jitomate sauce. In my rellano, the shrimp were overwhelmed by all the other ingredients. We shared the Tres Leches Strawberry Shortcake making a wonderful, sweet end to our meal. The restaurant has an Open Kitchen, Outdoor Dining (both in the Courtyard and facing the river). I say you should come and enjoy a meal here with your friends. But, don't expect the traditional Tex-Mex.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere