“Wow! Vara Guest House” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Garden City B&B and Inns
texas
“Wow! Vara Guest House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed with Alex and Cindi for several days. There are innkeepers and then there are hosts. Alex and Cindi are consummate hosts. I stayed in Ruth's Refuge and would have stayed longer but the room was already booked. This is a quiet place. The living room has an entertainment center complete with PS3 (?). My sister and her husband stayed a night and her husband loved the hot breakfast Cindi served (he is extremely picky) and the price is reasonable. The Vara Guest House is clean, beautiful, and great WiFi. They have a hot tub in back and a little hot sauna and exercise equipment available. I was able to walk through the cabins they have available. Two of them have access to a washer and dryer for those who are planning an extended stay. If I ever go back that way, this is the first place I will check to see for accommodations. Oh!! and the bed is wonderful!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
do42axv, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Wow is the word that comes to my mind as well. What a Wonderful review! Thank you so much for your kind words...especially consummate (I had to look that one up). We're honored to be characterized by that definition.
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and also to have the opportunity to have your sister and brother in law stay with us as well. It was fun gathering round the fire pit that evening. We wish you the best as you continue with your travels and hope we'll be able to see you and your family once again in the future. Vaya Con Dios

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Brownwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I are landmen. We needed extended stay lodging in the Permian Basin area and were blessed by God to find the Vara Guest House run by Alex and Cyndi. We stayed in the apartment for 4 months. During that time, Alex and Cyndi treated us with the utmost hospitality, meeting our every need above and beyond. Internet is important in our business and Alex and Cyndi made sure we had fast, working internet availability 24/7. The price was competitive, the environment was welcoming with the fire pit and grilling together. We had Direct TV, hot tub, sauna, work out facility, fire pit, grills, house cleaning, and, since we stayed so long, it was wonderful to have a full refridgerator, standard washer and dryer, and access to the main B&B house's gas stove and oven. For down time, my 4 year old granddaughter and I would dig in the Vara's herb garden! This unique bed and breakfast is safe, clean, and feels like home! Thank you, Alex and Cyndi, for creating a wonderful oasis in the middle of nowhere! We hope to have another project there so we can book the "apartment" again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
do42axv, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Russell and Kitty...along with the Tatum family - It was our pleasure to have you all as guests in La Casita and the Guest House apartment. We thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you all and hanging out in the evenings after having scrumptious dinners prepared at the grill and then gathering around the fire pit to visit. We were so glad that you located us on Google maps and that our location of Garden City turned out to be so convenient for the work that you all were hired to do. We do hope that your services will be needed out here once again in the future and that we'll have the opportunity to have you back as guests. May God Bless you all in your future work and travels ahead. Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to post such a Rave Review concerning your stay with us. P.S. Please give your cutie pie granddaughter a hug from Alex and Cyndi and our pets Mr. Bo, Peanut, Patti and Jacki. They sure miss you all as well. ; ) Lol
College Station, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed at the Vara Guest House for 2 and 1/2 months. I will not stay anywhere else in the Midland area after the time I enjoyed there. Alex and Cindy strove not only to accommodate myself, but all other guests that were there as well. I was thoroughly impressed with their facilities, rooms, cleanliness, and hospitality. I highly recommend the Vara Guest House to anyone, and any size party.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
do42axv, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you Chris for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your thoughts and review about your stay with us. It was truly our pleasure to have you as our guest in Ruth's Refuge at the B&B this past summer. We wish you the best in the upcoming year as you pursue your studies and congratulate you on hearing about the successes you've already racked up at the university. Keep up the good work. We hope to have you back again next summer possibly if you happen to work in our area. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Alex & Cyndi
Gunter, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I absolutely love this place. My family and I have visited with them several times. It gives you the feeling of being at home. I have tried out 3 of their rooms and can't wait to sleep in the others. Probably the cutest one is the sleeping porch. Ruth's refruge makes me feel like I'm sleeping at my granny's house. That is my favorite room to stay in. Go to the website and look at the different rooms and you will see they are all unique.

Room Tip: I love the room called Ruths Refruge
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
do42axv, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Tammie, thank you so much for another wonderful review about your stay(s) with us. We truly enjoy having you and your family as guests at our B&B and we look forward to having you back in the near future. We know you have many choices available for lodging in the Midland area...and we're especially thankful that you've chosen us time and time again. Cheers to a long lasting business relationship as you continue to visit the Permian Basin area. Alex & Cyndi
Wichita Falls, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

There is a lot to say about the Vara House, so please excuse the length of this review.

I attended a funeral service in Midland and needed to locate suitable accommodations. My friends had secured several hotel rooms in Midland, but even with discounts, it was unreasonably expensive. Most of the hotels in Midland are overpriced in my opinion. So I researched other possibilities and located the Vara Guest House in Garden City. After reading the glowing reviews, I spoke with Alex (owner) and booked one night. A couple of days later he called me back and said that I could book an additional night as a cancellation had occured. So I booked two nights for the price of one at one of the Midland hotels.

I checked in to the Vara House a little after 7:00 pm, after driving in from Midland. It is around 35-37 miles from Midland, but at 70 miles an hour, it takes only a half hour.

The house is from 1907 and very neat and clean. The owners (Alex and Cindy) have done an excellent job in converting the room I stayed in (Cynthia Quarters), to maximize comfort and privacy. The room has all the amenities needed in a hotel room, plus the bed was very comfortable.

The Vara's offer breakfast for an additional amount, which is very convenient and I was treated to blueberry waffles, a tasty sausage/egg/pepper combination and fresh fruit, with orange juice and coffee. The next day I was treated to a spinach omelet with bacon and english muffin with fresh fruit. A nice alternative from the standard breakfast fare at a typical breakfast restaurant.

I enjoyed reading a book on the front porch and was even entertained by a couple of hummingbirds who were breakfasting at the nearby flowers. Very quiet and peaceful.

There is plenty of things to do if you want at the Vara Guest House. There is a workout area, sauna and I'm sure Alex will be glad to show you around and make your stay memorable.

All in all, a very nice stay with very nice people. Do yourself a favor and check out the Vara Guest House. I think you will feel the same way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
do42axv, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you Mark for taking time out to express your thoughts and review about your recent stay with us at our B&B. We truly enjoyed having you as our guest. We make every effort to treat all of our guests in a way that we'd also want to be treated when staying in a bed and breakfast. It's one of the reasons we chose to convert our home into one knowing that we've truly enjoyed our experiences at other B&B's as well. It's just a different atmosphere in a B&B...more of an intimate setting where you truly get to meet others and converse in ways unlike that of a typical motel/hotel. Thanks again for choosing us and we look forward to hopefully having you back when you're in the Permian Basin area.
Bryan, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Garden City, Texas was the last place on earth that I'd have expected to find a good B&B, but Alex and Cyndi Vara have opened their home to guests and created a nice, quite place to get away from it all. I booked at Vara House after looking for accommodations for a business trip to Midland and finding only overpriced dives. Vara House was listed on the Midland Chamber of Commerce web site so I thought I'd give it a try. This was my first stay and I arrived very late in the evening (close to midnight) after a seven hour drive but was welcomed with a genuine and warm smile by Alex Vara who gave me an orientation to the amenities and showed me to my room (Cynthia's Chamber). I was apologetic for arriving so late, but Alex assured me that it was no problem at all. After an enjoyable visit and tour it was off to bed. I had a great night's sleep in a very comfortable bed in a cool, quiet room. The room and grounds were spotlessly clean and the claw foot tub was just plain awesome! Garden City is certainly not a destination for most, but if you're working in the Midland/Odessa area this is a wonderful alternative to the way overpriced and just plain pretentious hotels. Vara House is cozy, clean, comfortable, and worth the commute even if you're working in Midland or Odessa. I'm looking forward to my next stay and can assure you that you can't go wrong with Vara Guest House.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
do42axv, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you Mr. Parr for taking time out of your busy day to write such a wonderful review about your recent stay with us. We are truly humbled by your kind words. It was a pleasure meeting you and having you as our guest in the B&B. We look forward to seeing you again should your business travels require you to be back in the Permian Basin area. Until then...we wish you safe travels to and from your destinations. Sincerely, Alex & Cyndi
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I happened to find Vara Guest House last minute, the night before I headed down to the Midland/Odessa area for a business trip. The availability for any hotel was slim, and the prices are outrageous in that area for anything, let alone something nice. They were priced much better than most, and only a 20 something mile drive from Midland. After driving nine hours from Tucson, and then getting stuck in traffic from 1-20 being closed off due to a major accident, I couldn't even make it there until around 11pm. Alex waited up for me to get there, was extremely hospitable, and even provided some nice conversation after a hectic day. I definitely felt the feeling of "make yourself at home" was truly genuine. The room was wonderfully decorated and cozy, the bed comfy, and the whole house just adorable. There is a great little front porch to relax on, but the real outside retreat is out back where all the guests congregate and chat every night, maybe even grill some food up over a glass of wine or beer, under the very plentiful stars in the quiet country location. I had only planned to stay the first night and find something closer for the rest of the trip, but the place was such a nice oasis in what can be not-so-nice West Texas, that I decided to stay there the rest of the trip. Absolutely worth the little extra drive. Vara guest house added a little of a vacation element to my business trip, which was unexpected and appreciated. Alex and Cindy are the nicest, most genuine people that really make sure you have everything you need for your stay. Being able to use the kitchen at free will was so nice as well, saves you money on food, and not having to eat unhealthy. I will most surely be back to stay should my next business trip to the area require a hotel stay, because it is just so much better than any hotel you could find!

Room Tip: I stayed in Cynthia's chamber and it was perfect. Private bath with granite counter top vanity...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
do42axv, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Marie...Thank you so much for the wonderful comments pertaining to your recent stay with us here in Garden City. It was truly a pleasure meeting you and we hope we'll have an opportunity to see you again when/if you make it back to the Permian Basin.

Been to Vara Guest House? Share your experiences!