“Great Staff - Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Victorian Condo-Hotel Resort & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added The Victorian Condo-Hotel Resort & Conference Center to your Saves list
The Victorian Condo-Hotel Resort & Conference Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6300 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551 (Formerly Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Galveston)   |
Ranked #26 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Katy, Texas, USA
“Great Staff - Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We had our annual retreat at the Victorian and found it to be great fun. The staff worked with us and all of our needs. They were pleasant and helpful. We are sure to come back. Can not beat being close to everything.... food, shopping and of course the beach. Sunrise and Sunset we had a view from all angles. We could fix our own food or we could go out. Small but very efficient condo. We are planning to be there again.....

Room Tip: Be sure you let the staff know what you like. There are plenty of condos available. We liked being...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RhondaH253, Manager at The Victorian Condo-Hotel Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you so much! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Victorian Condo-Hotel. We hope you travel to Galveston again soon and be sure to let us know when you’re coming so we can reserve your favorite room for you.

282 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Ennis, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying for a few days here. Close to the beach and minutes away from restaurants and local attractions. After a long day of fun, we relaxed in one of the two pools on site. The staff was friendly, rooms are a bit expensive but its worth it. We would gladly stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013
Cypress, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My recent stay was in unit 6201 on the second floor Bldg 6 right up front facing the ocean with a good view of the west pool too. Low noise level-only one guest room on one side and the complex was quiet overall. We enjoyed sitting on the private balcony and enjoying the complimentary coffee watching the ocean roll in.
The condo was clean and well stocked with cooking utensils, linens for the pull out sofa, and I was told that if there was anything needed to call the housekeeping dept. and they did bring extra pillows promptly.
The pools were attractive and sparkling and the children loved the "kid" pool with the graduated depth with lots of area to play safely. We adults liked both pools and was told one is heated for winter time guests. The pools and spas are new post hurricane Ike and are lovely.
We were surprised by the nice workout room, tennis courts, and barbecue area that is available to the guests...even a fish cleaning station!
The Victorian is very convenient and easy to find- right off 61st street and Seawall Blvd and is centrally located to visit all the attractions on Galveston as it is about midway on the Island and behind the seawall. It is near the major attractions of Schlitterbahn, the Pleasure Pier and big fishing piers, Moody Gardens, as well as many restaurants- oh, forgot to mention there is a wonderful Bistro in the Victorian that serves a home made dishes and the food we had was very good. They provide room service if you like.
They also have a shuttle and parking if you are going on a cruise. We used this once a year or so ago and were pleased to have our vehicle protected in a gated, guarded and supervised complex with a nightly guard who only lets guests and staff in the parking areas.
The overall feeling we had was it is still the best value on the beach if you are not looking for a 5 star accommodation. There were 6 of us: 3 adults and 3 children and we all had a pleasant, relaxing experience; our needs were met as expected at the Victorian.
I have visited here many times and will continue.

East Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The location was close to the restaurants & right across the street frim Sonic & Wal-Mart. But the rooms & service left a lot to be desired. We stayed for a week & were told that our stay would include daily maid service (but only one day that they would change of sheets - standard practice. No problem, right?). The ONLY time a maid came was when the sheets were changed. Then they didn't even change the sheets on my childrens' bunkbeds, they only changed the main bed (which was angled in such a way that only one person could walk by at a time to get to the closet) the safe in the closet was missing the key. We did NOT call about that because there was a sign stating that if the key is missing then we would have to pay a fine. The shower was so short that it only came up to my shoulder (I am 5'7") and the there is NO WAY adults could sleep in the bunkbed comfortably, my 10 & 11 yr old were cramped feeling. Our room did have a (Sideways!!) View of the ocean … a better view of WalMart's parking lot. The ONLY WAY to get a full view of the ocean is from a 2 bdrm room!! My parents and my sister's family stayed in one of those. The view & the room were much nicer, but my Dad's back hurt from the hard bed & my nephews (14 & 17) couldn't stand their bunkbed. In our room, the balcony and living room slanted down and there was not really enough room for the 4 of us in the living room/dining rm section to sit comfortably. When we booked the room we asked for no wicker furniture and were told that they couldn't guarantee what room we would receive as they don't assign rooms until the morning of check-in, on a first come basis. We would not be arriving until LATE but my parents arrived EARLY to make sure we could get rooms near each other. They were told that ALL rooms had only wicker furniture (my hubby is built like a 6'6" football linebacker! And I had expressed this concern to the reservationist before deciding on where we would stay, and was told that would be no problem) When I arrived late that evening I made SURE to check in and give the front desk MY card to pay for the room. It was upon check-in that I was told that there was a large group that would be there on the same side of the facility that our family was going to be there & yet no one had mentioned it during the numerous inquiry calls prior to reserving. It wasnt just a group, it was a LOUD party that met there annually & were granted full use of the pool on our side of the facilities ... if I didn't have young children I probably wouldn't have minded, but I had even made SURE that their pool would be open prior to booking. Well, the party they had was held AT the pool! Complete with drinking, music, and even couple "making out" in the pool. They do have another pool … located quite a ways away on the complete opposite side of the facility, and it was VERY crowded. We went to the beach instead and, thankfully, had fun despite having packed all the pool toys for the trip) Oh...about the maid service... I called the front desk to let them know that ALL our towels were dirty and the maid hadn't been coming. They didn't seem to care, in fact they told me that, if I needed towels that evening, I could "CARRY MY DIRTY TOWELS TO THEIR FACILITY UNDER THE MIDDLE OF THEIR FACILITY AND EXCHANGE THEM FOR CLEAN ONES?!?!) Upon checkout I again brought up how I wanted to make SURE that our stay was on MY debit card. I received a receipt for our stay ~ imagine my horror when my father found out that THEY had still charged HIS card! When he called the place they told him I'd have to call to approve, like I hadn't taken care of the situation! Then when I called they told me that it would take a few days for the matter to be cleared up & that I would have to call their bookkeeper back after the weekend to get it cleared up. They couldn't be sure I would receive a call back! And I was treated like it was MY fault despite having talked to 3 different employees to make sure that situation would not occur. We will NOT be staying there again. And, despite the way this review may sound, my family travels often and are NOT one to post negative reviews once the ituation has been resolved. This place needs new management, new facilities, new attitudes! However, the security guard WAS attentive & friendly.

• Stayed July 2013
Tyler, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband & I were pleasantly surprised by our private balcony & condo. It's very convenient to the beach and has many pluses. We were not expecting the live bands by the pool & cookout so that was a pleasant surprise as well. Everyone was so nice & friendly. Although the furniture was outdated, it was still comfortable and perfect for our get away.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Keller, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We arrived to see a nice pools and fairly new exterior paint, so we were hopeful. That hope fell when we opened the condo door. The enitre space had never been updated it apprears since the building was errected. The carpet, furniture and bed spreads were OLD/1980's. We got the rude awakening that the nicely equiped kithenette was two burners (we found out the next morning that only one burner worked), 5 plates( we have six in our family, 4 spoons and a few knives and forks. There was only one spatula...the wooded one was splinted and gross and a few plastic cups warped by the heat of the dishwasher. There was an upleasant and quite possible unsanitary drip, that fell in the bathtub continuously. There were holes in the curtains in the living room and the shower curtain was torn. The towel rack/bar was leaning and barely hangng onto the wall. There were knobs missing on the leaning bathroom cabinet doors. We ended up buying ALL plastic cups/plates/untensils because the partical board shelves in the cabinets were so disgusting and rotting. We ended up spending more money eating out because we could not use the "well equipped kitchenett" as we had originally planned. Next time we are going back to SeaScape...or just staying in a hotel. Feel sad that my precious husband works 75 hours a week and he busted his butt to give us a nice vacation! Shame on the Condo owners for renting this dump and shame on Victorian Condos for not inspecting your property and takinc care of your guests!!!

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We checked in on Tuesday and proceeded to the room assigned to us. We had been told the day before that our room was on the first floor; we were put on the third floor. Not a problem, we had better views.
The staff called around 7ish to check on the room; at that time all seem fine and we said so. We proceeded to cook dinner, and when we began washing up we found that we had NO hot water, at best the water was room temperature. I called to the front desk and was told she would have someone up to look at it.
We left the next morning to go to Schlitterbahn Water Park. Upon return to the condo we went to the pool - very nice and then back to the room to cook dinner - a benefit to staying at this property we thought.
When we found that we still had no hot water I called to the front desk again and said the problem had not been fixed. She offered to send someone and I told her that no it was 845 pm now and I had children to get to bed, and that they had had all day to fix the problem.
When I went to check out the following morning - a Thursday, I explained that I was disappointed and that I thought the $159 per night plus taxes and fees was excessive given the situation. The clerk told me there was nothing he could do. I asked to speak to a manager and was told to wait a minute. I did and another clerk told me they didn't have the authority to adjust the bill and that they had no record of my call from Tuesday and that when I called Wednesday I had refused to let them fix the problem.
I again asked for a manager. While I was waiting for Mr. Stacy I was told by another guest that I should quit my 'witching' and find a reason to be greatful, this diatribe went on, in front of staff who did nothing to stop it, for approxiamately five minutes. There was another lady at the desk, an 'owner' complaining about the quality of her pillow.
At that point Mr. Stacy proceeded to have me stand outside his office while he and the second desk clerk stepped into his office and "read what was in the red book" and then proceeded to talk about me and my situation.
I was told that there was nothing they could do. That essentially I should have made myself available to their repair man, and since I had not the issue was on me.
I was angry, but we left.
Upon retuning home I checked with the bank on my ability to dispute the charges and was told I had 48 to do so.
Friday I called the hotel again and this time spoke with the owner, Mr. LaPort's, assistant. I explained the problem and was told how sorry she was. She then put me on hold and went to speak to Mr. LaPort. She came back on the line and said that Mr. LaPort would have the Hotel Manager Tava (sp?) call me when she returned from vacation on Monday and in the meantime would refund $25.00 per night to my card. I agreed, foolishly.
I did not receive a call on Monday. Honestly - I was not concerned. I figured that Tava had lots to get caught up on after returning from vacation. On Tuesday morning I called and spoke with Tava. I explained who I was and what the problem had been. I even explained that I understood why she hadn't called me back. She proceeded to inform me that she had not intended to call me back becasue Mr. LaPort had told her about the situation in the staff meeting Monday and that the problem was settled. ? I explained that this was not what had been indicated to me and she told me that it was done. She then asked if I needed anything else, quite rudely - clearly not an opening to a dialog. I asked if she would consider increasing the discount - she said no. I said that this would be reflected in my review. She said that was fine.
The property itself was, for lack of a better word, tired. It was clean - though the musty smell was strong at times. But, it is an oceanfront property and I understand the constant damp of seaside living.
The view was decent. We had a room at the rear of the property facing the street as opposed to the pool, but we still had a great view of the Gulf, and the WalMart parking lot, quite popular among fools at night.
For us the location was ideal. We were there to go to Schlitterbahn and it is a five minute max drive. The seawall is right across the street. Grocery stores were close by - as were several fast food options. Sitting out on the balcony in the evening was great - it was quiet, you could here the water at times.
All in all it was fine for what we paid for it - with the exception of the hot water problem, and had the hot water worked or I had been treated more fairly, I would have given it a better rating. On a normal day I would say it is a fair price for what you get, especially when you consider the cost of two rooms at a regular hotel.
I have tried to be fair here. I would go back if not for the 'hot water fiasco', and in this I mean the response from the owner and management. I would have been fine with a $100.00 discount on the $379.50 bill. I think that would have been fair. The $50.00 I have been promised seems like "yeah, yeah go away we don't really care", especially with Tava's disregard added to it.
Would I recomend the property to a friend - yes I would! I would just say check everything when you get there and call quickly with any problem.
Also - The pots and pans provided are NOT nonstick. Bring Pam or something. Also dishsoap, sponge, dishwasher soap (well you get one) are not provided. So plan ahead - paper towels, napkins...all that kind of stuff. Also coffee and coffee filters are a good idea.
Hope this helps someone.

Room Tip: Check everything as soon as you get to the room and report any problem immediately. Also bring your...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Victorian Condo-Hotel Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!