“Mardi gras Tremont style” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel

You added The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel to your Saves list
The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2300 Ship's Mechanic Row, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston, Texas
“Mardi gras Tremont style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Tremont hotel, Galveston
Here I am, in my room at the Tremont, sitting in a very comfy bed, with fluffy pillows supporting me. Ahhhh, very nice! We are here for the weekend, to celebrate mardi gras Galveston style, mostly to attend the balk on Saturday night, but also to enjoy the festivities. We bought a package which includes the room, access to mardi gras on the strand, the ball Saturday night with balcony parade viewing and breakfast Sunday morning.
Valets parking is included and due to the closed roads, we find the valet stand down the road from the hotel, just being set up at 5pm when we arrive. Check in is easy, the front desk is easy access, people very polite and welcoming, we receive our packet including beads and tickets for the ball. The lobby is a small area with one side the bar and the opposite end a small restaurant. At our arrival people are already filling the area, dressed in various mardi gra garb. There is always a door man to greet us.
Our room is on the second floor and is an inner room, which means we have a Juliet balcony overlooking the lobby. When we open the balcony doors, we can view down to the lobby and hear the jazz band playing, nice background music for us. The room itself is quite large, two queen beds, two comfy chairs and a sofa. Small desk, large closet and a coffee maker. The bathroom is large and the best part is the towel warmer, which keeps even your Jammie's warm when placed on it!! So neat! Nice toiletries, a regular tub with shower. Tall ceilings and calming prints with striped walls, all very nicely done. The entire hotel speaks of another era when comfort was a key.
Ordered room service this am for a pot of coffee, only took about 10 mins and it was here. Enjoyed our coffee while in bed, ahhhhh.
The bathroom is well equipped but older, the tub is tired looking and has marks, the shower head is low (ok for my height of 5.3' but if you're taller...). Spray works well but touchy to adjust water temps. Lots of stripes throughout the room, can make you feel dizzy, don't stare!
With our room overlooking the cafe area, we get smells of the kitchen which is a downside as obviously whe the fryers are going, the room starts smelling like fried chicken, which is not a bad smell...but who wants they're clothing smelling like this?
Breakfast this a.m. In the cafe, we barely made it in the door before it was closed. Put in our order of fruit plate and panini, took 25 mins before our food arrived. Starbucks is served and only one cup per order....
Staff so Far has been very friendly, no gluten free menu or suggestions.
The main reason we have come to the Tremont this time is to celebrate Galvestons mardi gras, we are part of a package that includes entry to all the outside parades, etc. private viewing of the strand parades, entry into the ball which takes place at the Tremont and breakfast the following morning. So after check in on Friday and enjoying ourselves watching parades and being part of the merriment, we enjoy a leisurely start to Saturday, then venture out for more parades, which start about noon. We choose a seat outside at one resurant on the strand, yagas (again no GF menu) but it is good viewing for the parade and live music outside in the park. Lots of people and after lunch we join others to listen to a good band. Since we plan to stay up late at the ball, we head back to our room for a quick nap, very convenient with the hotel being a block from the strand! Then it is time for getting all dressed up for the ball! Staff has been working hard all day with bringing in all the decor for the ball. It is country themed and there are large silhouettes of cowboys and table decor made for hats, piles of hay with bandanas outside for sitting on and viewing. They really go all out. Strolling food trays and speciality drinks are passed out upon arrival, full bar, a lavish buffet with lots if shrimp, meat carvings, and the dessert bar is fab. A jazz band brought over from New Orleans plays on the hotel lobby, and after dining we walk outside to view the parade before walking across the street to the grand ballroom for dancing with a love band. Lots of fun and everyone is happy and dancing. The evening ends with a breakfast buffet starting at 11 pm, lots of food and fun!
Check out the following day is very easy. We call the valet to advise our timing and our car is waiting for us at the curb. Good bye Galveston and the Tremont, see ya real soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the cafe to avoid smells and noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGalveston, Public Relations Manager at The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a descriptive narrative on your stay with us during Mardi Gras. We are absolutely thrilled that you experienced Mardi Gras - Galveston style and Tremont House style. The weekend package that you enjoyed offers a great value with ball tickets, accommodations, valet and breakfast on Sunday. We also hope that you enjoyed our custom Mardi Gras beads and turn down gifts. The Tremont House really does put you in the heart of the Mardi Gras festivities making it both convenient and fun. Mark your calendar for next year - the 30th Annual Tremont House Mardi Gras Ball is Saturday, March 1, 2014. We hope that you will join us again next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Truly a piece of history, beautiful structure. When you walk into your room with what may be 14 foot tall ceilings with windows from top to bottom it truly is majestic. Classy rooms, bar and public areas are done very well. Large palms in the lobby set the tropical feel. Fast and efficient valet service, convenient location a block off the strand and a really nice breakfast lounge serving starbucks in the morning. Just about everything a business traveler needs to start the day off properly. Have spent a great deal of time in Galveston, but this was my first time staying off the seawall and in the strand. Really nice stay, and will certainly look to the Tremont upon my return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay at The Tremont House. We appreciate your positive comments regarding the decor and service as well as The Tremont Cafe. We do our best to cater to the business traveler as well as leisure traveler which is why we offer complimentary Wi-Fi in the Tremont Cafe, lobby and guest rooms. The TV-PCs in the Cafe are also convenient for a quick check on email or Facebook. We look forward to your next visit.
Tulsa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location. The rooms are luxurious but if you are looking for a good night sleep avoid it. We stayed in the fourth floor. At around midnight we started hearing people coming and going and chatting in the hallway. Woke us up. There was a large forgo up of middle aged men and women from the Disney Cruise staying the night. They lacked manners and consideration for others. They acted like juveniles, drank at the bar and hit rowdy. You could hear the slightest sound from the hallway including when people open and close doors. Noise is created by inconsiderate people and this hotel did help any by putting a bar on the ground floor and another in the fourth floor right where people sleep. You either have a hotel or you have a party and you can't have both. Plus the curtains in the room don't close completely and the light was in my face all night. What a shame. Please be considerate if others when in hotels. Refrain from talking in the hall at night and slamming doors.

• Stayed February 2013
WyndhamGalveston, Public Relations Manager at The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at The Tremont House. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. There are a few rooms that are in route to The Rooftop Bar so please know that we will do our best to accommodate room requests for other floors. We hope that you give us another try in the future.
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for business but plan to return for pleasure with my wife. The hotel is located in a great part of Galveston. Very close to the downtown scene and restaurants. We walked to many of the restaurants. The hotel has a great breakfast cafe and also a nice bar area to relax and have a cocktail. The room is very nice with great linens.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay at The Tremont House. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while traveling on business and we are thrilled that you plan to come back with your wife. The hotel's location does make it ideal for dining and shopping. We hope that you had an opportunity to visit our Rooftop Bar too. It's open Wednesday through Saturday weather permitting. We appreciate your insight and we look forward to your next visit.
Key West, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My clients stayed here for two days while interviewing for a position at that Galveston Medical Center. I was the nanny for two days. Although I didn't sleep there, I was at the hotel all day.

From my arrival, the staff seemed to be on top of it. Not in a perfect manner, but enough to make you feel welcome and important enough to open the door for you. After mom and dad left for the day; a few hours of play...I went down stairs to the cafe to pick up some breakfast. I had the breakfast panini. It was $10; average for this type of sandwich. It was great. Perfect portion, lovely presentation of fruit. Not stingy on the array of fruit and stuffing the empty space with melon. I hate when they do that. Grapes, Blueberries, Strawberries, Pineapple, etc...I even had a raspberry and blackberry. It was worth the money. The sandwich was big, and filled exactly as described. Eggs, Bacon, avacado, tomato, and cheese. The bread was toasted perfectly. I would only ask that the bacon is crisp as I don't like to chew for hours.

Next was housekeeping and since I was taking care of the baby; it was nap time. They were respectful and allowed this room to be cleaned when the baby awoke.

As the room was being cleaned, hours later, baby and I went on a walk about. Met some lovely staff that were very kind and ooohhhsss and ahhhhhs with the little one.

Later that day; I took the baby out for a walk on the strand. The strand is historical and filled with lovely shops and stops to take a break and have a bite to eat. The harbor at pier 21 is near by as well. I would have liked the help to get the stroller down the stairs; but I was a nanny in NYC...this set of stairs was nothing I had not tackled before. I did get help on my return trip and I am grateful as the baby had fallen asleep.

For the site seeing; we did the strand, the harbor and had no trouble navigating around the area that is so close to the hotel. It's nice to enjoy the area and be within walking distance.

The rest of the first day was just fine. I did go back to the cafe on my way out for the night and had a glass of wine. It was not that great, the only Shiraz by the glass. Not Rosemont but Australian, so I went with it. Staff was friendly and ready to help.

On day two....staff was there ready to open the door. I was grateful. I have not had a chance to grab breakfast and it would be cheaper to go down to get it but baby is sleeping. The delivery charge and gratuity is pricey....my legs work just fine.

Overall, as Mardi Gras is about to kick off tonight in full affect....I was glad to see the set up and get down to Galveston from Houston, for the two days. The hotel staff is kind and ready to assist you with your needs, whether that of your stay or otherwise. The location is great if history is what you seek.

I know the sea wall is not too far; as my client's father went for a run yesterday and found his way over there.

Come to Galveston; either for Mardi Gras, Dickens on the Strand, or just to dip your toes in the sand....it's a fun place to visit and learn all about.

Room Tip: Remember to ask for a room away from the ice machine. And because the elevators are exposed. There...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
WyndhamGalveston, Public Relations Manager at The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for posting such a thorough and thoughtful review of your stay at The Tremont House. We appreciate your insight on the Tremont Cafe and our staff and service. You had mentioned the seawall and Pier 21. The seawall is just one mile from our historic downtown and Pier 21 is merely four blocks away. We are pleased that you did get to see our lovely downtown and harbor. The hotel's location makes it convenient for shopping and dining. We hope that you visit us again soon - either on your own or with your family.
Marshall, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We went to Galveston to "put our feet up" for a few days in January. Since my wife had never stayed at the Tremont House, we made reservations there. We knew it would be a slow time for them but were surprised that there were almost no tourists - it was too early for Mardi Gras celebrants and too cool for the beach crowd, so we never had to stand in line for anything. The hotel is in walking distance from lots of neat shops and the waterfront with good restaurants and many things to see. The weather was lovely, about 70 degrees in the afternoons. The hotel and the neighborhood were so quiet we could sleep as late as we wanted and never hear anything. Our room was a lovely 2-room corner suite with two large TVs, a dining table, and a couch that was a little worn out. The bedroom was very roomy and light, with 10-foot ceilings. The bathroom was also very large and was clean, though not quite as sparkly clean as you want in a hotel. (The fixtures and countertops are getting old and don't shine up like they once did.) There was a great view from our windows and we could enjoy the beautiful sunsets. The staff, from the doormen to the waiters and maids, to the front desk personnel, were extremely friendly, welcoming, and very helpful. Except, that is, for the front-desk person named Ashley, who is a very bossy, grouchy, and unfriendly bureaucrat who desperately needs some customer-service training. Our bed was extremely comfortable, with plenty of comfortable pillows. There were very nice soaps and shampoos and plenty of big, nice towels. The price was more than fair for this first-class hotel and I will stay there whenever I can get to Galveston (I'll just avoid Ashley).

By the way, if you go to Galveston, don't let anything keep you from eating at Gaidos. It is the best seafood in town.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. The higher floor, the better. Our room was at the Southwest corner and had a g...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGalveston, Public Relations Manager at The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for you feedback on your "winter getaway" stay at The Tremont House. We are thrilled that you took advantage of our slow time before Mardi Gras. We appreciate all your comments and I'm sorry for any inconveniences that you experienced. We value our guests and monitor reviews so we can continually improve. Hope you stay with us again soon.

Been to The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!