“Perfect place to stay in Galveston” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel to your Saves list
The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2300 Ship's Mechanic Row, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #2 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“Perfect place to stay in Galveston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

I booked the Tremont after considering some of the B&Bs on the island. I decided we should just stay at the nicest place possible. From the moment I pulled up to the entrance, I knew I'd made the right choice. The doormen and check-in staff were more than wonderful. The check-in desk is really small, but it serves it's purpose. My room was beautiful - really high ceilings and hardwoods. The bathroom tile was a little dizzying, and doesn't really match the historic hotel style, but that's okay, I guess. Towel warmers were a nice touch. There is no pool at this hotel, but guests can use the pool at their other property, The Galvez. We enjoyed walking around the Strand and Postoffice Street areas, and taking advantage of the roof-top deck. The bartender was so great - and I ended up talking with him and another gentleman from (who coincidentally was in the room next to me) at the bar for a long time. The rooms face inward to the hotel, and my room was over the piano bar area, which was a little noisy, but tolerable. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It was a remarkable stay.

• Liked — Location, Price, Rooms, Staff, Historic Property
  • Disliked — Didn't like, but should not be a deterrent - Noise from bar below room, Bathroom decor
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,013 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

My girlfriend and I checked into the hotel for a weekend in late August 2007. Overall, the experience was great: the staff was acommodating and were able to provide some good recommendations, the rooms were clean and well-furnished, and the rates were not bad at all (for hurricane season). Although I usually try to avoid hotel restaurants, the breakfast at the Merchant Prince was actually pretty good.

Some particularly good points:

1. Walking distance to anywhere on the strand. I parked my car upon arrival and didn't need it again until we checked out. There are many places to eat, shop, and just take a stroll within a few minute walk. I was even able to arrange for one of the horse-drawn carriages to pick us up and take a tour through some of the historic neighborhoods. The only downside to this location is if you're interested in going to Galveston beaches, which are kind of nasty anyway (that's a different kind of trip...)

2. The rooms. The room was (as stated previously) very clean, and everything worked as it should. The furniture was sturdy and in good condition, and the bed linens were really comfy. Some of the little things like the tile pattern in the bathroom and the high ceilings definitely made this hotel feel different from a typical chain, even though it's a Wyndham property. Maid service did a great job.

3. The rooftop terrace. One night, we ordered some to-go dessert from the restaurant and grabbed a cold bottle of champagne from our room and headed to the roof. It is a great place to sit back, have a drink, and enjoy the view of Galveston and the Gulf. The number of people varied the several times we were up there: at one point we were the only ones, and another time there were probably a dozen other people. Either way, it's big enough to where it probably won't feel crowded.

I really can't think of anything bad about this hotel. Although, since I got engaged that weekend, there were probably a few other things on my mind...

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

The grace and beauty of the historic section of Galveston came as a surprise to us. We could not have found a better spot to stay right in the middle of the Historic Section than The Tremont House. Our large luxurious room had 16 foot ceilings and floor to ceiling windows, comfortable beds and a small but spotless bathroom. Entire hotel has been renovated and they did a first class job. Each employee was pleasant and glad to be working there. Internet access was free. Valet parking was available but there was lots of street parking that was just as convenient. Dinner at Rudy and Paco's was fabulous. Galveston was a delight. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Liked — Historic hotel brought beautifully up to date.
  • Disliked — Bathroom was small but was modern and clean. It was not a problem.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

Hotel was nice. Room was small. Towel warmer in bathroom a nice addition. I noticed an additional $40.00 charge on my bank statement. When I called to follow up the manager told me that the housekeeper reported that the hair dryer was missing. My husband is bald and I have permed hair. We do not have a need for one. We never noticed a hair dryer but we were not looking for one. We were told that they are kept in the right hand side of the closet. If you stay there ask for an inventory sheet.

• Liked — historic beauty
  • Disliked — being charged for a hair dryer that we did not take.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Winter Park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

The previous reviews of this hotel are correct. The rooms are a good size with the highest ceilings I've ever seen. I like the hardwood floors. The rooms have coffee makers, safes, wrought iron beds, heated towel racks, marble sinks. The bathrooms are on the small size and could use an update. Internet is free if you join the Wyndam club. (The Wyndam ByRequest club is their frequent stay program and its free to join). Members of the program not only get free internet they also get late checkout, freel local and domestic long distance calls, airline miles plus a welcome amenity gift of your choice. I had a bottle of wine and a bowl of mixed nuts in my room upon arrival which was a nice touch. Go online and join the program before you arrive. Make sure to tell the front desk so they note this in your account so you are not charged for the services. Since I was in Galveston for work I was able to park on the street directly in front of the hotel for free after 5pm. (There is a charge during the day). Unfortunately my A/C went out twice during my stay however the maintenance man came to my room each time to give me an update. It only took 15 minutes to fix each time. I have never seen such customer service from a maintenance man, he is a shining example of true customer service. Unfortunately the young kids working the front door and the front desk don't live up to the same standards. Although the doorman were very nice, never once was the door man present to open the door, they are too busy talking to the front desk or bartender. I asked for a local map at the front desk and they had a deer in the headlight look. I ate at the restaurant which was average. Although the hotel has wireless internet it is not as good as thier eternet service so bring a cord along since there was not one in my room. The hotel is one block from the "strand" which is 4-5 blocks of stores. Be aware the stores close early except for weekends. If you are in Galveston in the summer beaware the water is loaded with bacteria so do not enter if you have open cuts. The hotel is not within walking distance to the ocean but is still nicer than the hotels at the ocean.

• Liked — Old world charm unlike other US hotels
  • Disliked — A/C kept going out
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chiswick, West London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2007

Finished off a tour around Texas at this hotel and it pretty much lived up to the good reviews on here. The hotel felt more European than American and the rooms were well designed and slightly old fashioned (deliberately so I am sure). The location of the hotel is perfect as it is slap bang in the middle of the historic district although at the tail end of August the whole of Galveston seemed pretty empty. In some ways it did feel a bit stuffy and the fact the bar was only open until 10pm at night was a bit of a surprise. All in all though probably the best place to stay in Galveston as many of the other places we saw looked like places you would get to stay in on a European package holiday.

• Liked — Great location and slightly old fashioned and tailored feel to the interior
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2007

We stayed at the Tremont for two nights in July. The experience was lovely.

The Tremont House is an older hotel with lots of character and charm. The rooms were comfortable, clean, and well furnished. I think someone looking for brand new, spotless, contemporary-styled accomodations would find fault with the hotel. However, if you appreciate the antique feel, you'll love it.

When we arrived on Friday night, a ghost tour was in progress. Apparently, the hotel is haunted! Unfortunately, we saw no ghosts. The oddest sight we beheld was that of the tour guide - darkly mysterious in a very theatrical way. I regret that we didn't take his tour if for no other reason than to see him go through his spiel.

We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant both mornings. The first morning, I had scrambled eggs and discovered that "scrambled" translated into "omelet with runny middle". I often indulge myself on cake batter and raw cookie dough and don't think twice about the raw egg, but I just can't do raw egg / runny middles for breakfast, especially runny egg whites. So, that's my only complaint. I opted for their fruit plate with yogurt the second morning, and it was fantastic. The man of my life ordered blueberry pancakes, which were also absolutely fantastic; I helped myself to several bites. The restaurant is also open for lunch and dinner, but we ate out for those meals.

The hotel is located right on the Strand, which makes shopping and dining convenient. The shopping is mostly antiques, beachwear, and trinkets. Just around the corner from Tremont, a sidewalk artist named Joaquin sets up a little tent on the weekends. If you follow the sound of loud techno music on a Friday or Saturday evenings, you'll find him. He does paintings using spray paint only, and the work is actually quite stunning. He's interesting to watch, so I'd recommend stopping by to see him at work. Also around the corner is a restaurant called Luigi's that we enjoyed very much; reservations are needed. There are also a few museums within walking distance from the hotel, a theater right across the street, and several little pubs available for those seeking the nightlife.

• Liked — We loved the character and location.
  • Disliked — The scrambled eggs. ;)
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!