“Nice Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel to your Saves list
The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2300 Ship's Mechanic Row, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #3 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Richmond, Virginia
“Nice Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

The Tremont is just...nice. Fully restored and resembles upscale hotels in downtown venues. It is a block from The Strand, a nice corridor of stores and restaurants, that allow for the tourist in you to come out. I stayed only one day, but was impressed with the room. I, too, stayed in 246 and loved the high ceilings, hardwood floors and contemporary feel. My only complaint was lack of electrical outlets. There is a desk in the room, free internet, but no place to plug in!!

Galveston has recovered quite remarkably. The Old Town area is amazingly alive, with lots of shops and restaurants, some along the bay. The Tremont offers a really nice respite to explore this area, as well as take in the beach. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2011
Thank you for your review and comments. Glad you enjoyed your stay and the free internet. We are adding additional electrical outlets in the rooms to resolve the issue you mentioned so that you can more easily plug in.

1,050 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Beautifully restored hotel with great staff and location. Food on premises a great way to start the day. Galveston is on the road to recovery from the last hurricane. No pool on premises, but stay includes access to pool at Hotel Galvez.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

This is a very nice hotel, not too big - but with rooms that have ceilings that soar and a quiet that is a nice break from the beach. The hotel does not have a pool, but the sister hotel (Galvez) is right on the water and has a pool you can use.

Room Tip: All the rooms are really big and airy.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

September 2010 - My first stay at The Tremont House was in September 2010. I went with two girlfriends (we’re all in our late 20’s), immediately following the unexpected death of one of their husbands. I called ahead to amend the reservation, which my friend had made as an anniversary celebration. (Obviously there was no need for rose-petals, king beds, chocolate and strawberries.) Even though she’d booked it on a pre-paid, no cancellations/changes deal, the manager was kind and sincere in his condolences and had no problem changing the room to a double room and shortening our stay and crediting her CC for the unused night. When we arrived, he sent a bottle of wine, a cheese/fruit tray and a note expressing the hotel's condolences about the loss of my friend's husband. They checked on us a few times to make sure everything was fine, but did not bother us. The room was comfy and everything was great. Because I was there with my friend, consoling her on the loss of her husband, we didn't really "explore" the hotel. We mostly stayed in the room, drank wine and talked. We did use the Galvez Pool privileges once and ate Sunday Brunch at the Galvez. (Well worth the $36/person!! More food than you can imagine and endless champagne!)

*****
June 2011 - I just returned from a three night (Th-Sat) stay with my fiancé. (FYI: I’m 29, fiancé is 35.) He was working; I was relaxing. This time I really explored the hotel, the area, the amenities.

Parking – I’m not sure why people complain about paying for parking – we thought $15/valet was a steal. (We’re from Houston and used to vacationing in San Antonio/Austin where valet will cost you $35/night and there is no self-park option.) That said, we parked on the street mostly, at a meter and paid the $1.25/hour rate. We never had problems finding spots on the street. The valets are Johnny-on-the-spot. I never opened a door (coming or going) and never carried my suitcase. They were kind and professional, not “lazy teens” as someone else mentioned. They’re mostly college students at Texas A&M – Galveston. Well-spoken, friendly, helpful.

Our Room - comfy king bed, easy chair, round table with bottled waters/ice bucket, small computer desk, huge armoire for TV with drawers for clothes, 20 foot ceilings, brass doorknobs, allergy-free certified rooms, free WI-FI (no problems with this at all, not sure about the complaints), plenty of towels, hairdryer, iron, extra bedding and a nice TV. We did have to move the furniture around a bit. (The desk was not on a wall with a plug and my fiancé needed to work. But it was small and light and everything moved with ease.) I wanted the coffee pot in the main room, not the bathroom, so that required another table move, but everything was fine because nothing is bolted down.  Bathroom had two minor issues, leaky faucet, running toilet, but maintenance was there immediately and the issues were resolved. We were in room 246, facing the street on the front of the hotel. On Friday night there was a wedding across the street and it was L-O-U-D. Saturday night was “art walk” on the Strand and again, many loud, drunk people wondering around on the street, but the hotel can’t control that. We’re young and usually part of “the party” so we didn’t mind; we kind of got a kick out of it. If you’re worried about noise, you might ask for a hotel facing the courtyard instead of the street. But you’ll love the large window and drapes if you get an outward facing hotel.

The Tremont Rooftop Bar – High priced drinks, but generous pours, attentive wait staff and a GREAT view with a nice breeze, even in our 100* summers!

The Galvez Pool – The Tremont House does not have their own pool, so you get pool privileges at their sister property, Hotel Galvez. It’s a 20 minute walk to the other side of the island (or you can catch the shuttle that leaves every 15 minutes on the weekend.) WORTH IT. Plenty of loungers, towels, cocktail waitresses, swim-up bar, etc. For me, staying at The Tremont, but using the Galvez Pool is the best of both worlds. (I prefer low-key vibe of the Tremont over the bustling, mega-resort feel of the Galvez, but you can’t beat that pool.)

The Tremont Gym – The gym is adequately furnished with a couple treadmills, a couple ellipticals, an incline bench, a cable machine and free weights from light to heavier than I’ve seen in most hotels (50 lbs.). A large TV you can control, (as well as small screens on the cardio equipment), plenty of towels, a fridge of bottled water and a fruit bowl. Small, but ample equipment for a good workout. Of course, you’re on Galveston Island – go outside! I got all my cardio in along the Harbor, the Seawall and all in and around The Strand. Run around and take in all the Historical Markers, churches, etc.

The Tremont Café – I ate breakfast here one morning. Breakfast pizza, it was delicious. I would imagine everything else is too. Large screen computers in the Café you can hop on the internet and check your email while you eat. There is a pianist in the lobby bar on weekend evenings and plenty of people enjoying cocktails. Just be ready for that on Fridays and Saturdays. It never bothered us. (We enjoyed the people watching.)

The Bottom Line: This is a small, historic, up-scale hotel. This is NOT a mega-resort on the beach. But, they make up for that with the shuttle to and from the Galvez. (You can ask them to take you to/from even not on the weekends, if they’re not busy. They transported us in a very nice Town Car.)

Nearby Restaurants:
The Black Pearl Oyster Bar (one block from the hotel) – YUM!! Home-made seafood fare, cold beer, cheap! (We went for lunch.)
The Gumbo Bar – a couple blocks from the hotel on Post Office – YUM!! Tiny little place, great service, great food, affordable.
Fisherman’s Wharf (on the Harbor) – sit outside, eat The Ultimate Crab Cake, bring your wallet!
Wille G’s (on the Harbor) – Great service, good food that is a little overpriced in my opinion. But, it looked they had a great (and cheap) happy hour from 11 – 7 everyday.
MOD – an independent coffee shop a couple blocks from the hotel – opens early, great coffee drinks, friendly employees. (There is a Starbucks closer to the hotel in the opposite direction, but I enjoyed trying this new place.)
The Original Mexican Restaurant – on 14th street. We ate breakfast here on a recommendation from a friend. Small breakfast menu, HUGE portions, great food! Cheap. SLOW service - bring your patience.

Nearby Attractions:
The Strand – a couple blocks of boutiques and t-shirt shops selling beer. Rowdy crowd on the weekends. (You can buy a beer for $2.00 and just walk around.)
The Tall Ship Elissa – a Barque ship from 1877. The fiancé thought it was cooler than I did, but it was a cheap little thrill for history buffs or kids. You get to walk all around it, it is cool, it’s just HOT. Buy the $1.00 bottled water in the gift shop when you buy your ticket.
Harbor Tours – we booked ours through the Elissa Museum and it was WELL WORTH the $8.00. (We got a discount because we bought the tour of the ship AND the harbor, so you get a couple dollars off.) It was over an hour; we saw dozens of dolphins and learned about the Harbor. Very friendly and knowledgeable boat captain.
The Beach – if you have a car, you’re better off driving all the way down the island to the west end and using the public beaches down there. There are NOT lifeguards on the west end. Some of the East Beaches are private, you have to pay and the crowd is often questionable. The beach along Seawall Boulevard is still being rebuilt after Hurricane Ike’s damage in 2008; so there are a few public beaches (with lifeguards) but they’re small and sporadic. Just head west on the seawall and use any of the Public Access points once you get out of town. If you don’t have a car, have the shuttle drop you at the Galvez and walk across the street.

Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

Arriving at the hotel, One will quickly notice the run down neighborhoods surrounding the beautiful hotel. Parking at the hotel is free on Sundays, otherwise you will pay $1.25 per hour from 9a.m.- 7p.m. (Seriously!). The staff are a mix of lazy teens, and space cadets. The room was really clean, and nicely appointed. My room (4th floor) faced the indoor lobby, unfortunately. A band was playing outdated "easy listening" music in the lobby, thus making it difficult to relax after a long trip. The room was somewhat cramped, yet had a 17 foot ceiling. I attempted to do a little work that evening on the computer, yet this proved unsuccessful. The wireless internet dropped every few minutes, kicking me off my employers server. The in room wired internet did not work at all. I purchased two nights of stay upfront. If the other lesser hotels werent booked up due to the holiday weekend, I would have happily moved on to one of those taking a hit monetarily. Nice looking, clean hotel. Thats about it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thnaks for your comments. Parking on the street is controlled by the city not the hotel. Parking on the street is free from 6:00 pm until 7:00 am the next morning or you can simply valet park at the hotel for $15 which is quite reasonable for a downtown hotel. Sorry the music in the lobby bothered you but this is part of the weekend charm of this hotel and why many guests choose to stay with us. Our internet is free to guests which is not the case at most full service hotels. I can't tell if your internet problems where with your company's fire wall or our service but we will check it out to be sure.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011 via mobile

Paid over $400 for a drab depressing suite...
Here is what I got free of charge???!!!
A busted bathtub drain (two trips for maintenance man to fix)
Burnt Out Lightbulbs in the powder room
Minibar completely empty
Housekeeping took OVER 2hours to change feather pillows/comforter to non-allergenic

Skip it!

• Stayed May 2011
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
I am so sorry you had a bad experience. As you can see from our ranking and posted reviews your experience is not typical at The Tremont House. I would really like to do something to make this up to you so please contact me at 409-765-7721. Thank you.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

I have been lucky enough to have had the opportunity to stay a many different hotels over the years from extremely expensive to the motels of the world. I think for the costs and what you get The Tremont House just might be my favorite hotel of them all. I love the historic feel of the building, the rooms are great with high ceilings, wood floors and very comfortable beds. The only complaint would be their is not a desk in the room if you have to work (but is that really a negative!). The staff is great, the bar is neat, and the onsite cafe goes a good job. I stay here often and will continue to look forward to my visits!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. We also think The Tremont House is special as proven by its number 1 rating on Trip Advisor. And we agree with your suggestion on desks. We are in the process of adding desks to a third of our rooms so that option will be available in the next two weeks.

Been to The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!