“We will being staying at the Tremont hotel when we come back to Galveston and we love this hotel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel to your Saves list
The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2300 Ship's Mechanic Row, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011 via mobile

My daught and I stayed at the Tremont hotel during spring break. We had an amazing time when we were in Galveston. The hotel is in the downtown area right next to the strand so I got to see all the shops. The rooms were extremly nice with HIGH ceilings. The hotel had a shuttle service that took us to thier sister hotel, the galvez which is right across from the beach. The best part of our stay was the staff. The valet guys were very handsome and friendly. Jay helped us throughout our stay and Preston tool care of us when we left. Love this hotel and when we come back to Galveston we are going to book a room to stay at the Tremont hotel

• Stayed March 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Stockholm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Tremont in July of 2010. The hotel is located in a beautiful old building and the room was the nicest we have ever been in. High ceilings and beautifully decorated. The hotel also had a nice rooftop bar where you could get a snack and a drink. In the evenings there was a breeze and you could watch the ships in the channel.
The location is excellent. It's right around the corner from the strand which is an old-fashioned district full of nice shops and restaurants. There are also horse-drawn carriages in the area.
The only drawback was the parking. You have to give your car to a valet and there is a cost but I don't remember the price. It was reasonable.

• Stayed July 2010
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

I stayed here in 2008 and it was very nice before the hurricane flooded the first floor. They have remodeled downstairs. The valet service was horrible then (I waited 1 1/2 hours for my car to be brought around and for them to come to the room to get my luggage.). Arriving here in 2011, I found that the rooms are very clean and the beds are comfortable. The towel warmer was missing from our bathroom. The handle fell off the faucet and the bottom rack of the towel rack kept falling off. They never gave us spare toilet tissue and we ran out each day! It was a very cold weekend, but the rooms were so hot. It was as though the individual thermostats did not work. Others complained as well. I turned the control down and actually ran the a/c to try to cool the room off. I was awakened by the garbage truck emptying the dumpster outside my room at 5 am, 5:15 and 6 am on Saturday morning and again at 5am on Sunday morning. On Saturday while I was in the conference room preparing for my presentation, my friend brought me a sandwich since I was setting up the room. The staff person who was filling the water glasses told me that I could not eat that food in this room since it was not from the hotel and that if her supervisor came in she would take it. I was mortified! I can understand not allowing food to be brought in by everyone because that is how they make their money, but I did not have time to go to the restaurant and order since I had less than 5 minutes. I did my presentation and suffered from low blood sugar the entire time..
When it was time to leave on Sunday, I waited an hour and a half again for the valets to bring my luggage down after calling and calling. Once they said they were on their way. I had notified the desk on my way up, called for my car and asked for valet help. They said it would be 15 minutes. After an hour and a half of calling, my roommate went down and said my car was out front, alone, and 4 valets were standing around talking. I felt like I was being held hostage in my room. I will think long and hard about attending or scheduling a conference at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Thanks for your comments. I am sorry you did not have a better experience. We are upgrading the guestroom thermostats which may have caused your A/C problem but that is now resolved. If you waited as long as you said for bellman that is unacceptable and will be addressed. This is very uncommon for us as you will see from all the positive reviews however your comments will be taken seriously.
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Our family took a short trip to Galveston between Christmas and the New Year to get away from the hustle and bustle of the holidays. We've been to Galveston many, many times before, but always during peak season, staying on or very close to the beach. Being the off season, we decided this would a great time to give the Tremont House, in the downtown/Strand area, a try. Great off season rates!

This historic hotel is in pristine condition. (In fact, we remarked over and over again how well Galveston as a whole has recovered from Hurricane Ike, just over two years ago.)The room was very large and open, very clean, and tastefully decorated. Decor is quaint, reflecting the history of the hotel, but not old and certainly not generic. The front desk staff was very nice. We had no issues with reservations, check in, or check out.

The Tremont is very conveniently located near the Strand, and just a few blocks from Galveston bay (the "working" side of the island) and the crusie ship terminals. You have to drive to get to the beach (5-10 minutes), but there is a great deal to do, and many good places to eat, within close walking distance of the Tremont.

If you are visiting Galveston for a beach vacation, you would probably be better off staying in a hotel on the beach side of the island. If you are visiting Galveston for the history, shopping, museums, or before/after a cruise, the Tremont is a great bet.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

From the moment you arrive the service is top notch. So helpful and informative. Had a minor problem with our reservation, one of the rooms was only for one night, but they fixed that promptly, and we continued to be impressed with the rooms. To say they are comfortable would be an understatement. The beds are the best.
This place is convenient to everything and especially to the cruise embarkation.
The food is great and the rooftop bar area is a must, very relaxing.
We ate at the Fishermans Warf and had a great Lobster meal, best I have had in a long time.
Overall, you will not be disappointed with this establishment. The shuttle service is top notch and anywhere we wanted to go it was provided quickly. They even took us to the Sunflower Bakery for breakfast two days and picked us up promptly. Love this place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

We recently had a one night get-away to Galveston and booked at our favorite hotel there - the Tremont House. It is in a beautiful historical property right off The Strand and just a few blocks from Postoffice Street, Galveston's centers of their limited commercial activity. The lobby oozes charm and is a great spot for people watching. The rooms are very well-appointed, although our basic room was a bit small, particularly given the costs for Galveston. I did notice on this visit that the bathroom is due for an update - a few chipped tiles here and there and time for new grout. We found nothing that would discourage us from recommending the hotel, however.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

My friends and I went mid week to do some early Christmas shopping and found it delightful. The room was very nice and spacious, the restaurant had very good food and the location was one block from the Strand. The front desk ladies were a bit snobbish, but I had spoken to Victoria on the phone the previous day, who was so very helpful, butshe was off the day I checked in. All the rest of the staff was very friendly. I will definitely return to the Tremont House again and again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!