“Nice hotel - Galveston is not Destin” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The San Luis Resort

You added The San Luis Resort to your Saves list
The San Luis Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5222 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Breakfast with Santa
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
San Antonio, Texas
“Nice hotel - Galveston is not Destin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The hotel itself is very nice. However, the seaweed problem this summer was horrible. We did not even set foot on the beach which was very disappointing since we have a pool at home. There was a nice slide at the pool for our kids, and they absolutely loved it. The room was nice, the restaurants were INCREDIBLE. If you want to go to Galveston and stay in a hotel - the San Luis is great. We stayed in Galveston a few years ago in Pointe West - beach house with private beach, Ocean Club/pool. We preferred this. The beach was across the busy Sea Wall from the hotel and was public. Not a nice beach. Doing Florida or Mexico next year!

Room Tip: the upper floors have better views
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. There has been a record amount of seaweed this year on the beach but the Park Board works diligently to clean the beach daily and the seaweed is also ecologically friendly. We hope that you will make a return visit to Galveston in the early fall when we don't have any seaweed on the beach.

Steve Kalbaugh, Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed from a Tuesday to Friday in the condo division of this hotel. The condo itself was very comfortable and clean. The bellhop Moses was fabulous and the coffee bar was good...but thats where the GOOD ends! The front desk staff are very rude and not helpful at all. None of the staff knows ANYTHING about the condos. We were passed from person to person just to find out where we could park in the garage, are there assigned spots? what good is this white card key and the gated entry on the top 3 levels? why are there elevators in the parking garage that go to NOWHERE??? don't waste your time parking in the garage, its very dark and scary after dark and it s much easier to just park in the back parking lot behind the hotel where there is lots of light and space.

if this isn't enough to deter those that get confused easily (like myself) then don't even think about staying here if you have children under the age of 5! don't listen to the staff when they advertise a "kiddy" pool there is NO SUCH THING. a regular swimming pool with a 3' deep entry is NOT a kiddy pool. also, the water slide for "all ages" is very misleading. the tiny plunge pool at the bottom of this slide is 4' deep and not large enough to accommodate several people coming down the slide at one time, which is what their so-called "attendant" lets people do. My 3 yr old daughter that weighs 30 lbs went up the slide and I waited down below to pull her from the water as she came down. I am visibly pregnant and i told the blonde young attendant at the top that i was going to stand in the water and pull her up as she came down. the attendant said ok and smiled at me. at the time there was no one else around the slide or waiting in line. once you leave the stair access to the slide you can't see anyone that enters or exits the slide. even at the top of the slide being at the bottom all you see is their built up rock mountain. the attendant is literally the ONLY person that can see both top and bottom of the slide at the same time. you can't see anyone coming down the slide until they hit the curve at the base of the slide. once i got in position at the bottom she sent down a 14 yr old boy (weighing apx 75 lbs) instead of my 3 yr old. he plummeted into my abdomen with both feet. as i struggled to get out of the 4' deep death trap she just kept sending down more teenage boys which kept knocking me back down under the water. it sent me into automatic full on contractions, you know the kind where you can't speak or breath. the last thing i saw before the boy hit me was her looking down smiling at me knowing i was in the way of the slide exit. I spent the whole rest of the day in labor and delivery at the hospital with pain and contractions. lucky for this hotel it did not send me into active labor. I was released later that night at 1030 pm. what is the point of paying an "attendant" if they just sit there and smile at you while you get hurt??? where is the damn whistle? think how much pain, trauma, and money that tiny whistle would have saved if she had blown one and said MOVE when she knew she wasn't sending my kid down! i know standing down there was a bad idea, but at the time I was thinking about my kid drowning because i couldn't get in the plunge pool fast enough to get her out. a 3 yr old doesn't travel near as far as a teenage boy does exiting a water slide. i ended up with lasting pain, a banged up shoulder, and a bruise on my head. Thank you San Luis for making my first experience at your hotel such a memorable one! I will be sure and NEVER return and tell all my friends as well.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. Please contact me directly if you would like to further discuss your stay with us.

Leander, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We decided to cut our louisiana trip by two days and head to Galveston for a couple of days of relaxation.we called the night before to make a reservation and to our surprise the gentleman said we are pretty busy right now call back tomorrow morning?? What?? Never thought we would hear that from such a nice resort. Despite the unprofessionalism of the call (still think he could've gave us a personal call back)we saved $60. room wasn't ready when we arrived.yet lovely stay, great service, cool pool.only thing missing from a great hotel.. microwave an fridge! I guess they want you to head to their restaurants if you get hungry. Overall great stay

Room Tip: Double check if room is ready
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay but we apologize for the phone interaction from one of our associates. This is not our standard of service. We take pride in providing quality accommodations and exceptional service. We thank you for your business and we hope that you can make a return visit to our wonderful resort very soon!

Tyler, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We didn't stay at this hotel, but we did pay a visit to the spa. My bf and I both agreed that our massages were the best either of us had ever received. He had Joy and I had Jack. Both did an excellent job and if Jack was closer to home I would visit him regularly! Highly recommend! The spa itself is very nice and everyone was really friendly.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit to our wonderful SPA and we thank you for your commendation of our associates. We thank you for your patronage of the SPA and we hope that you can return to the San Luis soon!

Alvin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We loved this place. It is in a perfect location on the Island. But you need to be aware the Amazing Steakhouse on site is closed on Mondays always also and Sundays most of the year!! It is open between Memorial Day and Labor Day during the summer. We were very disappointed when we found that out. Since my weekends are Mondays and Tuesdays. There is an Ihop and a Landrys restaurant right out front ( not a fan of Landrys!!). Also, the gulf view is amazing... BUT... spend the extra couple dollars and get a higher floor (7-8 and above). We stayed on the 4th floor the first time and you get an okay view of the gulf but a better view of the lower hotel roof!! So my hint is ... 7th floor and above and the "Club 10" rooms are my favorite (10th floor / no kids)...

Room Tip: 7th floor and above.... Go with Club 10 room if possible.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us but we are sorry that you were not able to dine with us in the Steakhouse. We thank you for your business and we hope that you will visit the San Luis again very soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Okay, I was really going to wait to write this review but since it's 2:30 and the drunks have been slamming their doors since the pool closed at 2:00 a.m., I'm awake and thought what the heck. We've been here for three nights in a 15th floor "suite" which we've paid dearly for, which is actually a regular hotel room but with no microwave or refrigerator. It has two double beds, a chair with ottoman, a small table, chest with television on it and a nightstand between the beds - not exactly what I would call a "suite". The employees here are very nice and helpful overall though. It only took about 10 minutes for the maintenance man to come fix the air conditioner when we realized it wasn't cooling at 11:00 p.m. tonight and he brought us a box of 4 chocolates for our inconvenience. Oh, I wouldn't recommend the pizza from The Grotto either. It really tasted good but evidently my husband got a bad piece of meat because he got really sick (and I won't go into details) about three hours after eating it. The pool is very nice, the grandkids really enjoyed the slide. Overall will we ever stay here again? Uh no. It would be nice for future guests if they closed the pool around say, 10:00 p.m., so the "partiers" could slam their doors at a more decent time.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your review. We apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please contact me directly, if you would like to further discuss your stay with me. We do appreciate your business and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience by staying with us again in the future.

Vancouver, British Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The San Luis Resort is a fun place to stay, especially if you are on vacation - the Galvestonians are so friendly. The pool was always hopping and everyone seemed to be having fun, although the water in the pool appeared cloudy most of the time, yet it could have been the volume of people in a small pool - I wasn't comfortable swimming in it. The hotel is nice looking from the outside, although, during our four days there they were jackhammering the tile off of the front entrance into the hotel, which is right next to the pool, so at times it was a bit annoying. I was disappointed in the rooms. The first night we arrived we had a room in the "unrenovated" part of the hotel, which had a real musty odor and just didn't feel comfortable. The last 3 nights we upgraded to a "renovated" room and although it was supposedly renovated, as it was somewhat fresher looking, it was still dated. I think that the hotel must have an issue overall with their air conditioning, it was always damp in the room and if you had the patio door open for even a short length of time the marble floor near the bathroom would get so wet that you could slip and fall. I realize that it is hot in Galveston and that you shouldn't keep the door open when the air conditioning is on, yet there are many places in the world with the same climate that have air conditioning in hotel rooms and I have never experienced this same issue -- and they also had carpet in the sleeping area of the room, which, with that dampness makes me wonder about mould. The front desk staff are friendly and professional as are the bar staff at the pool bar, yet food ordered at the pool bar is a long time coming. Let me not forget to mention that the housekeeping staff are very good - no complaints there. For the high price of the hotel rooms I would have expected a higher quality accommodation.

Room Tip: If you do stay there, get a renovated room -- less musty.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. As you mentioned, we are in the middle of renovations at the resort. We are finishing up renovations in our public areas. We now feature 3 dining options including the Steakhouse, Grotto and Blake's Bistro, 3 bars including H2o, Cup & Cone featuring Starbucks Coffee, Gelato and Specialty Desserts, Style Retail Shop, and our Spa & Salon. Our next renovation focus after the summer will be our guestrooms and guest corridors. In the meantime, we recommend asking for our Club Ten, 15th/16th floor suites, or renovated rooms on the 4th-8th floors for our renovated rooms. Thank you for your business and we hope that you will visit us again very soon!

Steve Kalbaugh, Manager

Been to The San Luis Resort? Share your experiences!