We arrived the evening before Thanksgiving to enjoy a long weekend at the San Luis resort. I had booked online several weeks prior and noticed/ clicked on the tag line that said join us for Thanksgiving brunch. We thought that would be a nice idea to get away from the usual hectic holiday at home. Upon check in I mentioned to the front desk we were looking forward to spending Thanksgiving at the hotel and relaxing. I inquired about timing for the brunch. I was informed that the brunch was sold out. I indicated that I had booked weeks in advance but saw nothing on the website about reservations needed for the brunch. Was there anything they could do? They said they could check their sister properties. Upon checking, they were also sold out. When I asked about other options I was told I could have dinner in the cafe after 5p. When I asked to speak with the manager, the desk clerk went to the back room and came back out and said they could put me on the waiting list. (No manager appeared) I asked if there was anyone that could help us find a suitable place to have Thanksgiving dinner and they handed me a local paper. They just didn't seem to care that enjoying the hotel with a nice holiday dinner was our original intent for visiting. Needless to say we were now stuck in a town where most everything was closed on TG day and no turkey dinner to be had. We were never called after being put on the waiting list. On to the next objective: relaxing. I had booked a mini spa treatment, everyone was nice enough-but not impressed with the overall experience. The massage and body treatment was just average. They were nice enough but having been at top notch spas before, this one is not. Our room was so-so. Certainly expected more for the price. King bed was rock hard and rooms need updating. Popcorn ceilings and vents are old and dusty. There is no attention to detail on cleanliness. Appears clean but closer inspection is disappointing esp. In the bathroom. The walls are paper thin and we had no problem hearing someone's alarm clock going off in the next room in the A.M. The upside is the amazing gulf/pool view from our 11th floor balcony. Hotel staff very friendly and spoke to us everywhere we went. We did not try the restaurants in the hotel due to the bad news about the TG buffet on check in. It's not a good experience to be upset at check in, so we will not be back. We will pick another property for our next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The San Luis Resort, Spa & Conference Center is one of the Gulf Coast's finest beachfront properties offering a variety of luxury options. From Spa San Luis and the heated pool to its 40,000 sq. Ft. IACC conference center and magnificent gulf views, it's an ideal destination for vacationers, business travel and corporate meetings. Our AAA Four Diamond rated resort offers the finest in award-winning dining, overnight accommodations and first-class personalized and professional service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The San Luis Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The San Luis Hotel Galveston
- San Luis Resort Galveston Texas
- San Luis Hotel Galveston
- San Louis Hotel Galveston