“Thanksgiving Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The San Luis Resort

You added The San Luis Resort to your Saves list
The San Luis Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5222 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
“Thanksgiving Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We arrived the evening before Thanksgiving to enjoy a long weekend at the San Luis resort. I had booked online several weeks prior and noticed/ clicked on the tag line that said join us for Thanksgiving brunch. We thought that would be a nice idea to get away from the usual hectic holiday at home. Upon check in I mentioned to the front desk we were looking forward to spending Thanksgiving at the hotel and relaxing. I inquired about timing for the brunch. I was informed that the brunch was sold out. I indicated that I had booked weeks in advance but saw nothing on the website about reservations needed for the brunch. Was there anything they could do? They said they could check their sister properties. Upon checking, they were also sold out. When I asked about other options I was told I could have dinner in the cafe after 5p. When I asked to speak with the manager, the desk clerk went to the back room and came back out and said they could put me on the waiting list. (No manager appeared) I asked if there was anyone that could help us find a suitable place to have Thanksgiving dinner and they handed me a local paper. They just didn't seem to care that enjoying the hotel with a nice holiday dinner was our original intent for visiting. Needless to say we were now stuck in a town where most everything was closed on TG day and no turkey dinner to be had. We were never called after being put on the waiting list. On to the next objective: relaxing. I had booked a mini spa treatment, everyone was nice enough-but not impressed with the overall experience. The massage and body treatment was just average. They were nice enough but having been at top notch spas before, this one is not. Our room was so-so. Certainly expected more for the price. King bed was rock hard and rooms need updating. Popcorn ceilings and vents are old and dusty. There is no attention to detail on cleanliness. Appears clean but closer inspection is disappointing esp. In the bathroom. The walls are paper thin and we had no problem hearing someone's alarm clock going off in the next room in the A.M. The upside is the amazing gulf/pool view from our 11th floor balcony. Hotel staff very friendly and spoke to us everywhere we went. We did not try the restaurants in the hotel due to the bad news about the TG buffet on check in. It's not a good experience to be upset at check in, so we will not be back. We will pick another property for our next visit.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Happy holidays and thank you for staying with us during Thanksgiving. We are very fortunate that our Thanksgiving Brunch does sell out annually and certainly apologize we were not able to accommodate you. However, we should have offered an alternative for you to enjoy the holiday and am sorry we failed to do so. We hope you enjoyed your stay in Galveston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I was the minister for a wedding at the San Luis. The wedding was to have been outside in the gazebo until the weather turned wet and cold. The hotel banquet staff bent over backwards to find a place inside to satisfy the bride with a beautiful "Plan B." Everyone went above and beyond in every way. The hotel is a jewel, worthy of its reputation. Beautiful, comfortable, tropical. The grounds, amenities, and decor are perfection. Every member of the staff, from valet parking to bellman to front desk are genuinely friendly and helpful. They were already decorated for Christmas and it was stunning. I have traveled around the world and stayed in some of the best hotels. This one is top tier in every way.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. We're glad the wedding turned out picture-perfect and wish the happy couple a lifetime of happiness!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed just one night before thanksgiving. Would have been here 2 nights but had bad weather. Anyway, lovely decor and friendly staff. Room was functional and had greater view of ocean. Bathroom is really small but we made it work. From valet to check in to others we met, all were friendly and helpful. Great heated pool so could swim despite cold rain.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us over Thanksgiving. We hope to welcome you back next year!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

After royally messing up last year, by giving away my room (on my wedding night) after recieving confermation calls, The San Luis gave us a free night stay. Well it was so sub par it bordered on motel on the bad side of town quality. The room they gave us was underwhelming with a great view of the roof. They didn't bring our bags up as they said they would, my wife went and got them. The fire alarm went off at night several times including after midnight a few times. The managment made no apology or even attempted to make it right. This was sad coming from a so called luxury hotel and resort.

• Stayed November 2013
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
We appreciate your feedback and have reached out to you to discuss your situation.
Lubbock, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

There were things I liked about the hotel, I liked the decor, (Though the Christmas Decorations on the 11th of November was a wee bit early!) The room was very clean. However, I had some problems, the wi-fi was not working at all in my room. The TV flickered. After the first night I asked to be removed, saying "Have you had an engineer come and check it out." So they sent an engineer, he was very polite and gave me a small box of four choclolates as a token of their appreciation. He said the wind was blowing the sat dish out of line, though it wasn't windy the night before, there was nothing he could do till the next day. But of course the next two days were not windy. Did my TV work properly or the Wi-Fi at all. Errr that was a big NO. Also on the last day, I was woken up at the crack of dawn, by a early morning alarm call, that I didn't ask for. There are also no general stairs from the rooms to the lobby, you have to use elevators. Which get big lines at check out time. The stairs are out of the building and alarmed.

I didn't mind, there being problems, I did mind them refusing to move me, or fixing the problems.

Would I stay there again, not if I was paying for it with my money.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 524
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us while in Galveston. We apologize for our complimentary WiFi not working properly and the satellite tv not functioning properly but do hope Engineering was able to correct the issue.
McKinney, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed here for one night and it was very displeasing. I looked at the pictures online prior to booking and found them to be exceptional. Don’t be deceived by the pictures, however. The hotel is called the “San Luis RESORT.” When I think of “resort,” I think of high-end and luxurious. The hotel does not meet “resort” qualifications. The heater in the room was broken and we ended up sleeping with the temperature climbing no higher than 62 degrees. All of this happened around 1 o’clock in the morning and by that time we were exhausted and ready for bed. Having a second night already booked, I called in the morning to have the heater fixed. We ended up not even staying the second night, because we realized what a dump the place was. Outdated fixtures, brick-like beds, crappy service.

The room was $189 per night. I spoke to the manager – Byron – and he claimed that we should have called at 1 o’clock in the morning to have the issue resolved. I was not asking for a full refund, simply a discounted rate for that night. Again, Byron was quick to blame us, the guests, and assumed no liability. We were extremely pleased with the Courtyard by Marriott when we stayed the remainder of our trip there. Our room at the Courtyard was only $99 per night and actually at least 10 times more “luxurious” than what the San Luis Resort claims to be.

Save yourself the hassle and spend your well-earned money somewhere nice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us while in Galveston. We apologize for your heater not working adequately. Our Engineering team is staffed to correct these issues if they are made aware of them. We appreciate your business and hope you enjoyed your stay in Galveston.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a conference. The hotel is nice looking and clean. My room was very nice and the staff was friendly. The only exceptions were an unwanted wake up call, a very loud ac/heater that wakes you up when it kicks on several times a night, and good non valet parking is limited. I had a discounted rate due to the conference. Not sure it would be worth $200+ at other times of the year.

• Stayed November 2013
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
We were pleased to host you and your conference this year. We hope your meeting was a success and that you enjoyed your stay in Galveston.

Been to The San Luis Resort? Share your experiences!