“Nice place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The San Luis Resort

You added The San Luis Resort to your Saves list
The San Luis Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5222 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Loranger
“Nice place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and her siblings met here for a few days and it was an enjoyable experience. I did not expect it to be as crowded, since it was late August and we were there Sunday thru Tuesday. I learned later that school had not started yet in the area.

The facility was nice and all the staff was helpful, knowledgeable, and were courteous. The on site restaurants were good but a little pricey, but I guess it is the cost for convenience.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thanks for staying with us for an end-of-August escape! We're glad you enjoyed all of our amenities and appreciate your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have stayed in many hotels in Galveston and we like the San Luis the very best. The rooms have always been upscale, very comfortable, quiet, and clean. There is a small balcony and from many of the rooms you have a view of the beach. The hotel is very attractive--not new but not antique, just very nice. One time we had a little problem--the room they gave us had 2 queen beds rather than a king. So we called the desk and they gave us a free upgrade to an even better room with a king bed. Sometimes there has been a live band at the outside bar. And it's right on the beach. It can be pricey but we have found dates when we have been able to stay for about $99 per night. And there is a (24 hr?) IHOP restaurant on the corner of the parking lot plus Landry's Seafood across the street. And you can stay here and leave your car for a week while you're going out on a cruise. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a view of the beach
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
We love repeat guests- thanks for continually returning to stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

What can I say about the San Luis Resort? I can say that all three times I’ve stayed there it has been for a conference. I can say that all three times I’ve had exactly the same experience. So, I guess I can say it is consistent.

This trip I spent most of my time in the lower level Conference Center. The meeting room was fine and temperature comfortable. The continental breakfast and snacks had a nice variety, and was plentiful. We had a buffet lunch one day in the restaurant, and it was very good with attentive service. We had lunch the second day at the Grotto. I enjoyed it as well.

The guest rooms to me are quite dated, but the room, bed, and pillows were comfortable and clean. The bathroom could use a remodel, but the amenities are very nice. I didn’t have any hand towels in the bathroom so I used the extra bath towel. The towels were almost threadbare. Probably the most bothersome thing in my room this trip was the death-rattle the AC had when it cycled on and off. It was very unpleasant, and I was glad for my habit of carrying earplugs when I am on the road. It is also nearly impossible to cool the room to a comfortable temperature at night.

I wish I had time to enjoy the balcony in the evening, because it is my favorite part of the hotel.

I am not sure though if I would choose this hotel for a holiday. I think it’s fine for a conference, but I prefer the accommodations at Moody Gardens.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for sharing feedback about your stay during a conference with us. We're pleased you were able to experience Grotto- it offers some amazing views of the Gulf! We are remodeling our bathrooms, so the next time you are visiting you can request a guest room that has been refreshed. Thank for you staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our family of 4 adults & 3 children (7, 8 & 11) just spent a 3 day weekend at the San Luis Resort. Great stay as we believe a Holiday is what you make it. Staff all very helpful & pool area kept very clean.
Only gripe would be the bedroom, they can certainly do with being refurbished! Our bathroom was tiny & a bit grotty!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
We love guest feedback and it's because of you that many of our rooms will be upgraded in the coming months! Thanks for staying with us!
Jonesborough, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

To be fair, I was there during the last days of summer vacation time, and the place was packed! It is very large. Turn in between the IHOP and the property, and take that road to the back of the hotel - there is a free, covered garage parking behind the hotel. This was not immediately obvious to me (signage would have been nice), but I knew there had to be another option besides the IHOP parking lot and valet parking (expensive!).
This is a very large hotel that hosts conventions, weddings, business conferences, in addition to vacationers. I think one of the problems is that it is trying to be all things to all people. The pool area looked very nice, but it was too hot to swim the day I was there (heat index of 110).
Strengths: I got excellent service from Bryon and other staff members. I needed computer access, and they made it happen, letting me use the computer at the concierge desk.
Weaknesses: The "business center" is really out of date and tiny for a hotel this size, which is why I needed Byron's help in the first place.
Room: I was put in a one-bedroom in the "condos," which is the smallest one-bedroom I've ever stayed in - actually a tiny studio. This was fine for me, as I was there by myself on business, but two would have been a crowd. Also, housekeeping had forgotten to check the balcony, so I found a coffee cup with old coffee and an empty pack of cigarettes out there. But again, they were super-busy. I slept fine, noise was not a problem, and the wake-up call service person was extremely courteous.
Bottom line: If I had payed for this property, I probably would have been less satisfied, mostly due to the sheer numbers of people they were trying to juggle the Monday I was there. A hotel can get too big, and I think the San Luis has jumped that shark, at least in early August. If I were coming here on vacation, I might try it on the off season. I really did appreciate the service I received, though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for commenting about the service you received. We pride ourselves in providing five-diamond service to each and every guest. We hope you'll return this fall, when the weather is a bit cooler and the summertime crowds have faded.
houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

what was suppose to be a great weekend getaway ended up being hurry lets get out of here weekend. first appearances are great- lobby, pool, eating places, but then reality creeps in as you wait and wait for an elevator. This wait was every single time we went up or down . Endless lines waiting with you. Then a relaxing period by the pool is overcome by this constant beating sound that some may call music i would call noise it never stopped and you would think at some point there would be what i consider music of some sort Never No chairs to sit all taken pool so crowded we never got in The staff is very nice The area very well kept but relaxing No Then we have the issue of our toilet never working Now this is an issue that we had them come 3 times to fix. Did not fix Did not offer to move us and did not offer to take anything off our bill. Our rooms came to 400.00 a night you would think we could have a working toilet. nice bedding and such no not here We got up at 8am and left will not return

Room Tip: ask for ocean view and balcony
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We certainly apologize for the issues you experienced with your toilet and have a dedicated Engineering team that assists with these situations. Our lounge chairs can get crowded in the late afternoon, but we hope you were able to cool off in the pool and enjoyed your time in Galveston.
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was our first time in Galveston and we decided to stay here because it looked like a very pretty resort from what we saw on the website.

Check-in:
We arrived around 1:00 but our room would not be ready until 4:00 so the front desk said that they could put our luggage in a locked room and someone would call us when our room was ready. I was hesitant to leave it for that long but she assured me that it would be safe so we decided to go on a tour of Galveston and come back later. When the tour ended we were wondering how to get back to San Luis. The tour operator offered to call them and see if they would send someone to the Pier to get us and San Luis declined. I feel the need to point this out because I read the response from the San Luis mgr to another post where he mentions that you just call and they will pick you up but this is simply not true. The tour
company mgr ended up giving us a ride for which we were very grateful since it was about 100 degrees out and we were told that taxis did not come by very often.

We tried to check back in at 4:00 and our room still was not ready AND the door to the room with our luggage was wide open with nobody in attendance. I was able to walk right in and start looking for our bags without anyone noticing.

Room:
The room was nice, it was fairly clean except for the glass doors to the balcony (hand smudges were clearly visible). The room had a fantastic view of the ocean. The bed was really comfortable. The bathroom was small but nice although there was a coffee maker on the sink right next to the toilet which I thought was extremely odd. Housekeeping forgot to replenish towels and washcloths on one occasion.

Pool: Water was ok on Friday night, we went back on Sat and it was SO cloudy and dirty. It was very hard to get attention of pool waitresses to order something. One waitress finally stopped so my husband proceeded to order drinks but she said it was not her station and quickly left! She didn't even offer to get the person whose station it was. There were other things but don't want this to get any longer than it already has!

Worth mentioning:
Service in Grotto, especially sommelier on Fri night and bartender in Steakhouse on Sat night, were exceptional! I wish we would have went to those places more than once. The level of service we experienced there needs to be carried out through entire property especially the pool area.

Bottom line:
I will be visiting the area again in a couple of months but will try another place to stay. The price in comparison to the service you get just wasn't worth it.

To Sue re our discussion: I'm torn, I would say "yay" for the room alone because it was was fine with a beautiful view but I could also say "nay" because it was kind of expensive for the type of service we personally experienced overall.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with The San Luis on your vacation. We do offer complimentary transportation to the Pleasure Pier, the shuttle runs every 30 minutes to transport hotel guests to the Pier and returns guests from the Pier to the hotel. It's always best to check with the front desk or valet for daily Pier shuttle inquiries, as sometimes things do come up.