“Almost everything was perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The San Luis Resort

Save Saved
You added The San Luis Resort to your Saves list
The San Luis Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5222 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$50 nightly credit
Ranked #17 of 49 hotels in Galveston
“Almost everything was perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Arrived on July 24th to spend one night for our anniversary. The hotel lobby/entrance is very nice. The pool area is the best. Good service by the pool, a bit slow at times but they were busy. The bartender was really great suggested interesting drinks for us to try. Our room was on the 7th floor. All the rooms have views of the ocean. The room was clean, the bathroom needed some cleaning, but all in all things were nice. My only complaint, really was the pillows on the bed. I have stayed in many nice hotels and generally the bedding is top notch. The pillows were like $5.00 Wal-Mart pillows or hospital pillows. It is amazing to me that with all the really quality things at this resort that the pillows would be so cheap. It did not ruin our trip, but we didn't get the sort of sleep we wanted because of this.

Room Tip: Ask to check the pillows in your room before you agree to stay if this is something important to you...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
We value your feedback and will certainly share your comments with our Housekeeping team. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

727 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

The room was dirty, the staff was rude, and everything was over priced!! I would not recommend !! Do yourself a favor, and stay anywhere else on the island!!! I love Galveston, but the few times I have stayed at the San Luis have been nothing but grief!!

• Stayed August 2012
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. If you would like to share specific feedback on how we can improve, please email ehimes@ldry.com as we would welcome the opportunity to address your disappointment.
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the San Luis for three nights (a monday-thursday). The girl at the front desk was very nice but a bit scatter brained. She messed up and charged my card almost $1,800 for our 3 night stay. I went out to eat later and my card was declined. Immediately I suspected what had happened and a quick check on my bank's phone app confirmed that I had been way over charged. I called the hotel and spoke to 2 people who "could not help me" and was transferred to a third person who did not pick up. I had to cut our evening way short and return to the hotel and speak to the front desk. The first person I spoke to tried to tell me that the charges were correct. After explaining repeatedly how they aren't and that I was over charged by at least $1,000 a manager (I think) came and spoke to me. She denied that I had been charged that much because "it wasn't on her computer". Neither of the two that I spoke with ever apologized for the error and did not seem concerned at all with the issue. Like I said, they both initially denied that there even was an issue.

Aside from that, there were no major issues during the stay. My girlfriend and I enjoyed the view from our club 10 room. That floor is the only one that doesn't have awful decor...If you do choose to stay at the San Luis, Club 10 is the only way to go (unless you have kids - its 21+ only).

Speaking of being 21 and up, if you are going to be drinking at the pool bar, be sure to bring your ID! Even though we were staying on the 21+ 10th floor and were carded at check in, the bartender at the pool would not serve us even though our room number implied that we were over 21. I'm a bartender myself and I understand the penalty for serving minors so I can't blame her too much. Perhaps at check in, guests can be given a different color wristband for the pool to prove that they are over 21 and not have to carry an ID where there is not a safe place to store it.

The pool service was otherwise fantastic and the housekeepers were kind and always said hello if you were passing by them.

I would probably not return to the San Luis. While I wasn't extremely disappointed in my over all experience, I wasn't very impressed either. There were many other small details that aren't worth mentioning that I felt were overlooked. The negatives mixed with the positives and left me basically indifferent towards the establishment.

Also, in my rankings, I am only considering hotels in this price point. For example, I rated the rooms poor not because they were awful rooms - just poor for the price/considering the class of resort this is.

Room Tip: Stay on the 10th floor in the Club 10 rooms. The extra amenities and more modern decor are the only...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you leaving feedback about your stay with us and are disappointed to hear you did not enjoy it. We welcome the opportunity to speak with you on the issues which you did not mention, to see how we can enhance future guest experiences. Please email ehimes@ldry.com and we would be happy to speak with you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Well it has happened again!! My wife said we could only stay three nights, but after getting here she said let's say longer--six nights!! We love this place!! Every summer it is our favorite getaway. Polite & helpful staff, great pool & no one beats Angelo on the piano. They have added an Italian restaurant--The Grotto- and it is great!! We love to relax here!!!

Room Tip: Higher up is more expensive, at least get the 8th floor for a spectacular view!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for continuing to stay with us! We're glad you enjoyed The Bar as well as a meal at Grotto and we look forward to welcoming you back soon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

The San Luis is a hotel with a lot of potential. Wonderful bell boys/ valet. Loved the front desk people. However, the pool was just a hot mess. The waitresses seemed to intentionally NOT want to make eye contact or take drink/ food orders. They all seemed young, and not properly trained. It was almost comical, yet not.
We waited a half hour to get someone to bring us a menu.... Then they had attitude like we were bothering them.
Also noted many others "trying" to get their attention.
Then to our dismay, we started people watching. Drunk, inappropriate behavior from adults in the pool/ mixed with families with little kids. Water quality, hazy at best.
Steakhouse was excellent, as was the piano bar.
Rooms were clean.
Will probably try one of the other resorts next time especially if I happen to bring my children.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your time in Galveston. We apologize your experience at the pool was not what you had hoped, but are glad to know you enjoyed The Steakhouse. We will certainly pass this feedback along to the respective departments you mention as we always learn from our guest feedback.
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I made reservations to stay for our anniversary. We did arrive early and were made to wait until exactly 10 minutes until 4 to get into our room on the 11th floor. We must have had the same room as the couple who wrote below. The ceiling near the AC was black from the air coming out of it. There were exposed pipes in the bathroom and the front of one of the cabinets in the bathroom was not attached properly. The AC did cool properly . The bed was comfortable, but not special. The pillows were a mix of a lot of worn out different kinds. They were all different sizes, sofeness, and shapes. They all appeared worn out. My children had ordered flowers through the hotel to be delivered to our room. We waited and waited and waited. We finally went to dinner. The flowers were sitting on the check-in desk down-stairs as if decorating it. The view from our room was beautiful. The food in the steakhouse was great, though I thought the service was a little too fast. We once had to tell them we were not through with the course we were eating. The Steakhouse has a dress code of resort casual which obviously means casual shorts and advertising t-shirts is OK. We were a little overdressed. Their cleaning service is non-existent. We stayed 2 days. We did not see anyone on our floor with a cleaning cart until 1p.m. even though check-out is 11am. By the time they got around to our room at 2:30 pm, I had already made the bed and wiped-up the bathroom. I just asked for clean towels. This is not way to run a hotel. I have stayed at numerous resorts like the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs , the Green Briar in West Virginia, the Grove Park in Asheville, etc. I know what I am talking about. My room rate for 2 nights was $524.70 before taxes.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy Anniversary! We are so glad you chose to spend it with us and appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay. We welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding the areas you felt our service is lacking, in hopes that we can learn from this and provide better experiences for our future guests- please email ehimes@ldry.com. Happy Anniversary and we hope you enjoyed your time in Galveston.
Greenwood Village, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

They have a beautiful resort building. The pool is great, with a view overlooking the beach. The balcony is very nice. I think that every room has a balcony. The pool staff is all over you just like on a cruise ship, so if you like to drink, they will make sure you are never without one. Drinks are expensive, as you would expect.
But, the management is horrible to work with. They agreed on one price, as we were walk-ins, but when our bill appeared under the door, it was a totally different higher price. It took threats of calling our credit card company to put a hold on the bill to get them to make it right, which they finally did. It took hours to get them to make it right.
When we checked in, they said that they had roll away beds, but when they brought it to our room the first night, they brought a blow up mattress, which leaked out the air overnight. The next day, after promising to bring the roll away bed, they then said that they had none. We would not even have checked in if we had known that. For $200 a night, we do not expect an air mattress. Every time we called about this issue, they were rude. They lied.
When we checked in, the bath tub had not been cleaned. It was full of sand and hair. When we moved the chair in the room, there were gum wrappers under it. They room was not cleaned well. We would see Kleenex's and dirty dishes from room service sitting in the hall for multiple days. Come on now. You get the drift. We generally stay in Marriott's, and they have a standard. If you decide to stay in this resort, be ready to pay, and ready to argue. You are on your own. Again, they have a beautiful facility, and if someone like Marriott ran it, I would say go for it. It is the nicest place on the beach. But from there on, it was nothing but trouble to us.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a prettier view. Middle of the building is also better.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the comments about our resort and location to the beach! We do apologize for the lack of cleanliness you express, and welcome the opportunity to speak with you- if you will email ehimes@ldry.com. Thank you for staying with us while in Galveston.

Been to The San Luis Resort? Share your experiences!