“Fights Over Lounge Chairs By Pool Can Ruin A Great Hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The San Luis Resort

Save Saved
You added The San Luis Resort to your Saves list
The San Luis Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5222 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$50 nightly credit
Ranked #17 of 49 hotels in Galveston
“Fights Over Lounge Chairs By Pool Can Ruin A Great Hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Beautiful Room, Great View, Great Drinks at H2O. The thing that really shocked me was that the hotel allows the saving of chairs by pool. At 7 in morning everyone starts laying towels on chairs or sending their child to. Some had 10 chairs saved. I go out to pool at 9:30 first day and while only a few chairs left not saved..no people..some chairs were empty till 1pm! At about 1 a woman yelled at me because I had one of her 10 chairs her kid had saved that morning. Next day I go out at 7 trying to get a decent chair actually um near the water..and a woman screams from her balcony for me to get away from her chairs..not kidding. This is rediculous when there are hundreds of chairs out there. It should be 1st come 1st serve. I will probably never go back because of this. I paid 269 per nite plus tax and never had a chair by pool. also small children down by bar end not a good idea. One more thing..someone from balcony was throwing soap and candy and actually hit one woman in head. she cried and had a huge knot on her head. This shocked me, I had never seen anything like that happen in my travels. people all arond me had been hit also. Beautiful Hotel. Maid was not great but all other employees were nice.

• Stayed March 2013
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for leaving feedback about your recent stay. Our poolside lounge chairs are available first come, first serve. Might I suggest renting one of our covered cabanas or a lounge bed- that will guarantee you have a reserved sitting area. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. If I can be of assistance, please email ehimes@ldry.com

Regards,
Elizabeth Himes
Brand Manager

783 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed another great stay at the San Luis. Off season is my favorite time to relax & enjoy the resort. I was thrilled to see Angelo has gotten his REAL piano back!!! Really enjoyed the music. The service continues to be great!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Angelo performs nightly in The Lobby Bar- and we're pleased to know you enjoy him! Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you return soon.
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

we stayed at the san luis on valentines day the hotel was beautiful staff was very nice and attentive ....upon arrival room was not rdy but we had no problem waiting in the bar we had complimentary champagne for our wait....we decided to upgrade and do the club level well worth the money the club level came with breakfast and valet parking ...we will be makin a trip back to the san luis in the summer time with the kids ....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Club Ten is our premier adults-only VIP floor, and we're so glad you enjoyed your stay in February with us. We'll have lots of activities for the whole family this summer, so we look forward to welcoming you back.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hands down best hotel in the area. Great dining facility with a wonderful service department. The outside bar by the pool was wonderfully staffed and warmly lit. Great location for taking a significant other. Breakfast in bed the next morning was a great way to start the day.

Room Tip: Get the executive package deal with the club level, which includes complimentary breakfast and valet...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We appreciate your great feedback about your recent stay with us and look forward to having you return again soon!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have stayed here multiple times, by myself and with family, and always enjoy my visit. The Gulf view is wonderful with easy access to the beach. Excellent pool area. The rooms are a good size and the bedding extremely cozy. Some of the rooms have been remodeled; there are some that still need upgrading but even those are plenty comfortable. I appreciate not having to pay for bottled water, in-room wi-fi and parking (that is a very big deal to me as it seems so cheap and petty when a hotel charges for a bottle of water or wireless service - give me a break!). I find the staff to be exceptionally friendly and attentive including the front desk, concierge, restaurant staff, gift shop, housekeeping and pool attendants. I have used the spa services and found that to be a pleasant experience. Definitely will go back - hopefully very soon.

Room Tip: Best views are from the 11th floor and up. I have stayed on the Club Ten floor but didn't find...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. We appreciate the feedback we receive from all of our guests and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Hubby and I needed a break and had stayed here for our anniversary a few years ago - we love the view from this hotel and the balcony is a nice size with decent furniture. We stayed on the 14th floor so we had a great view of the pool and beach! The room was nice but hasn't been updated in years but I understand updating is in progress. The bed was great! very comfortable and we slept really well! The shower drain needed repair and I had to manually pull the drain plug out for the water to drain, lever didn't do the trick. They do provide great coffee, free bottled water (alot of hotels charge $3/bottle), and nice products for personal use. I was disappointed that the pay movies were so expensive, 3 times what we pay at home for "on demand" movies. Overall we would stay again for the comfy bed, location, and definitely the view!

Room Tip: I would suggest 7th floor & up for really nice views; as updating is in progress, ask for an upd...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We hope your stay with us left you recharged! Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Houston, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I was able to come home from Afghanistan to surprise my wife for her birthday, by taking her and her parents to stay at the San Luis for the weekend!

We drove down in separate cars, and valeted both vehicles. When we were ready to check out we called downstairs to have our bags brought downstairs, and we also asked for both vehicles to be pulled up by the Valet attendant. We walked outside and my wife's parents had a valet attendant standing there with their door open and waiting for his tip...My Corvette however was parked off to the side...the keys were in it...and no valet attendant was anywhere near it even though we called down and asked for BOTH vehicles at the same time! (Sounds extremely fishy doesn't it)

As soon as I looked at my Corvette I could tell it had been wrecked! I did not cause a scene, I just walked over to the Valet stand in disbelief and asked what happened to my car. Everyone just looked at me like I had something growing out my head or something! Finally I got a Valet to tell me that he would call a manager to come out. I sat there for a while and was like "Is anyone going to come out here?" Finally a security guard came out and took pictures and took a report. I then was like "what now" He just said that I'd have to contact the corporate office next week. NOBODY else from the hotel came out and said anything to me...in fact I was made to feel like I was causing an inconvenience or a problem because I wanted to know how my car was wrecked while under their care!

I got a hold of the Risk Management office on Monday morning. The lady said that she would review the claim and get back to me. I called Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday afternoon and still got no response to my voicemails. Finally I called HR and they transferred me to the lady back in Risk Management and she told me that there was no proof that it was there fault! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! I asked her if they looked at the cameras! She just said sir, our investigation is private and that's all I can say!

I can not believe this is how you get treated when you stay at the San Luis!!! It really upset my wife and put a big damper on her birthday! She knows how well I take care of my car and she knew that I was very upset inside, even though I tried to smile and not let it be a big deal on her birthday. She said it just kind of put a sour ending to a nice weekend...especially how we were treated leaving the hotel. FYI if you leave your car with the valet and it is returned to you damaged. They are going to look at you like you're an idiot and try to avoid/ignore you because they don't want to deal with it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We hope your stay was enjoyable and your wife had a great birthday with her family. Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Been to The San Luis Resort? Share your experiences!